Subject: Can you recommend buying Food Chain Magnate for 100€? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game would cost me about 100€ including shipping for the upcoming print. I am intrigued by the game. A lot! I am just worried abeout the reception among my friends dur to its time commitment and its punishing nature. I dont really mind that myself, but others i will teach it....some of them are not such hardcore gamers as i am....
Thoughts?
And thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it, but I think casual gamers may not enjoy it. They may get to a point fairly early in the game where they realize they made a critical mistake and have little chance of recovering (this can happen to experienced gamers, too). This may cause some frustration. Also, some people may be turned off by the retro artwork. When you open the box and see the components, you'll probably wonder why it's so expensive. But I think it's worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate is quite possibly my favorite game now. Yes, it is brutal and punishing and the group needs to be on board with that. Runaway leaders are common and bad decisions can take you entirely out of the game, so it depends on how they react to that. I love it. I payed close to $100 for it and it was worth every cent to me.

But really, only you can answer that question for your group.

You could go to http://play.boardgamecore.net/ and play to get a better feel for it before dropping the cash though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Value/worth is such a subjective thing. However, if you don't like it, you shouldn't have too many problems selling it and recovering much or all of what you paid due to the way they release their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game. It's at least in my top 2 favorite games, if not my most favorite. But, as it has been mentioned, a very heavy, very unforgiving game. I took a quick look at the games you had rated highly and didn't see many super heavy games on the top end of your spectrum. So you may want to watch a playthrough (Heavy Cardboard typically does excellent ones) or even try it out at play.boardgamecore.net. It's an awesome game, but certainly not for everyone. Though it seems to be that the people who like the game end up really loving it. Best of luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lukas,

I sorted your (decent-sized) collection by number of times played, and noticed that there are very few (if any) mid- and heavy-weight games played more than a handful of times.

Granted, your most-played games are good quicker, lighter type fillers, which is most likely driven by game length and your specific gamer friends, but I'm not sure that something like FCM (especially at that price) would get enough play out of it to make it worthwhile?

If you played it the same amount you play some of the others of near similar weight, you'd be paying about €20 each time it hit the table. [For comparison, my most played game I have down to about $0.13/play; 1980s purchase prices not adjusted for inflation.]

Just my $0.02.

Full disclosure: I've played FCM twice and didn't like either play, so I'm not especially a fan of the game. I've tried not to let that affect my advice, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can. I love it.

I think we paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $120 for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, even at that price, but I have to echo what David Janik-Jones said above; if you and your group aren't playing games of that weight and length now, it's possibly unlikely that you'll all-of-a-sudden start playing FCM frequently enough to make the purchase viable.

Have you tried playing it online? I'm not sure if you need to pay to play (and I know it's not the same as playing the actual board game), but at least you'll get a fairly good idea of whether or not you and your friends will enjoy it.

Maybe someone else can chip in on where to play online? I've not done it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To kind of say what everyone else has been saying.

If you or your group don't like heavy unforgiving games. Food Chain Magnet is not going to change that fact. Although a unique game in It's own right, it is not that much different from other games in the same sweet spot. Age of Steam, Arkwright, or Die Macher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
Nooooooooooooo... heeeeelp meeeee...
mbmbmbmbmb
flea4 wrote:
The game would cost me about 100€ including shipping for the upcoming print. I am intrigued by the game. A lot! I am just worried abeout the reception among my friends dur to its time commitment and its punishing nature. I dont really mind that myself, but others i will teach it....some of them are not such hardcore gamers as i am....
Thoughts?
And thanks

I never played Food Chain Magnate, but another awesome Splotter game called The Great Zimbabwe. It did cost me around 90€ and I just played it once so far. We played it with four people. Two of them hated it. One buddy really enjoyed the game and I fell in love with it. Was it worth it? So far.. probably not. 90€ for one playthrough is expensive. I've got to try to "recruit" some other players to play it again soon - otherwise it wasn't a good investment. On the other hand - if you've got enough friends who are into heavy and punishing economy games.. go for it! I've watched enough playthroughs of FCM that I can say it's as fantastic as TGZ. 70-100€ seems like a reasonable price for a Splotter game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laexpls wrote:
flea4 wrote:
Thoughts?
And thanks

I never played Food Chain Magnate, but another awesome Splotter game called The Great Zimbabwe. It did cost me around 90€ and I just played it once so far. We played it with four people. Two of them hated it. One buddy really enjoyed the game and I fell in love with it. Was it worth it? So far.. probably not. 90€ for one playthrough is expensive. I've got to try to "recruit" some other players to play it again soon - otherwise it wasn't a good investment. On the other hand - if you've got enough friends who are into heavy and punishing economy games.. go for it! I've watched enough playthroughs of FCM that I can say it's as fantastic as TGZ. 70-100€ seems like a reasonable price for a Splotter game in my opinion.

Doesn't this apply to any game one buys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
Nooooooooooooo... heeeeelp meeeee...
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:

Doesn't this apply to any game one buys?

Sure it does.

But in my opinion some game categories are less compatible with "the majority of people" than others. FCM and other Splotter games are a very special type of game. They're heavy, they're punishing and for the most part they have so many nuances which are hard to see at first. As many people in this thread already said.. introducing heavy economy games to your friends with FCM isn't the best idea per se. It will be overwhelming. You better have a group which is already into this category.

But hey.. let's don't be so negative. Splotter games are love. Splotter games are life. And you only live once! Go and buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only get the game if you have enough people to play it with (and in the case of Food Chain, that seems to be three player total at least. So you need at least two hardcore players who would play the game with you more or less regularly.

If that is not available, get something else that you will actually play instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gragian wrote:
I love the game. It's at least in my top 2 favorite games, if not my most favorite. But, as it has been mentioned, a very heavy, very unforgiving game. I took a quick look at the games you had rated highly and didn't see many super heavy games on the top end of your spectrum. So you may want to watch a playthrough (Heavy Cardboard typically does excellent ones) or even try it out at play.boardgamecore.net. It's an awesome game, but certainly not for everyone. Though it seems to be that the people who like the game end up really loving it. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the kind words, Jeremy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.