Battlestations: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How well can this game be used as an RPG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Hirsch
msg tools
mb
Hi all.

So my friends want to get into D&D 5E and have me run games. Its been years since I've played or ran any RPG so I'm pretty much starting fresh. I recently heard about this game and I love this kind of stuff plus I really dig the fact that there is a space map and an interior map.

Since the cost of this game plus the advanced rulebook is in the same ballpark as the 3 core rulebooks for D&D 5E, I was hoping to perhaps get this and convince my friends to RP in this game.

So I am wondering if this game can be run as a full fledged RPG (character creation, players act out their characters, interactions and challenges not just limited to combat... etc) or is this more or less a board game with RPG elements like Descent?

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played 2e yet (although i own it), but 1e was a little closer to rpg than descent is. You can embellish it a bit, but it is still mostly a board game that supports campaign play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Alex!

I suggest looking at
THIS THREAD for RPG suitability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a great game but closer to board game than rpg end.. still one of my favourites tho.

For a more rpg option you should look at Planet Mercenary.. a quick funny rpg covering the same kinda territory but less structured (ie none) board elements. The RPG of the schlock mercenary webcomic

We play both here for different game types. My "structure" players, the guys who may well be slightly ocd like the definition of Battlestations for ease of knowing where their character is exactly and where the ship is. My creatives prefer the tink on their feet quick pace of Planet Mercenary. I love both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Battlestations IS an RPG. It just has a very well defined combat system. You can take a tight system like this and play loose with it a lot easier than you can tighten up a loose system.

Having said that, I'm going to be introducing a campaign book that takes it in a much more RPG direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hirsch
msg tools
mb
Fallow wrote:
Welcome Alex!

I suggest looking at
THIS THREAD for RPG suitability

Hi Michael thanks for the link I asked a question in it yesterday but I fear it will fall on deaf ears as the thread is old and most likely nobody looks at it anyway so I'll just repeat my question here:

Does Battlestations have a backstory/established universe to RP in or is it more like a blank slate I can make up stuff like factions/cultures/governments etc?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's a board game, but it's closer to an RPG than any other board game.

You could get creative setting up scenarios, maps, enemies and items. The actual turns will play out more like a board game than an RPG though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run Battlestations as just missions, and as scenarios in an overall RPG story. It works both ways. I'd compare it to D&D in terms of combat resolution...tracking squares moved, using special abilities to muck with the dice rolls, etc. So in the same sense that D&D is an RPG, Battlestations is, too, and can be used in the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it can be run as an RPG very well, in fact, I run the game at Cons in the Bay Area as an RPG. It can be played as a straight Board Game but I find the game more fun as an RPG. I make players play out their characters all the time when they interact with other players and NPCs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.