Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man prices have sky rocketed. What's the best way to ship one of those bad boys these days. I was getting a quote of $75 ground from Fed-ex usps and ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate H
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USPS used to have a large flat rate box they called a "board game" size. I believe the rates vary by distance no matter what the weight. I used one to send my brother a cast iron skillet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that big, like the original Planet Steam or something like Gloomhaven, are going to be really expensive to ship. I doubt that most people are going to be willing to trade/buy a game when you include the cost of shipping such a behemoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivercat0338 wrote:
USPS used to have a large flat rate box they called a "board game" size. I believe the rates vary by distance no matter what the weight. I used one to send my brother a cast iron skillet.

"Coffin box" games would require a box at least twice the size of that "board game" box. In fact, that board game box is really not very useful for most board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices have gone up, but you should probably be able to find some service for less than 75 dollars- I was looking at that price to ship like 10 lbs of game to poland.

Find some way to get around the dimensional weight thing, where they stop charging you by the weight and just inflate the price due to the box size. USPS might be the best bet then.

Get a buyer on the same coast as you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current "board game" box at the USPS is good for old school longboxes (mass retail games from the 20th century), and 2 AH / GMT - size boxes shipped side-by-side. The USPS board game will literally fit inside a FFG coffin box!

To mail a coffin box, find (or construct) a box that is 14" or 16" wide, up to 8" deep, and 28" long. USPS will ship that, assuming it weighs less than 16lbs when packed, for $44, across the country, when postage is purchased thru Paypal.

Distance traveled and size of the box are more important than the weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate H
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:

"Coffin box" games would require a box at least twice the size of that "board game" box. In fact, that board game box is really not very useful for most board games.

Yeah, I was thinking the pre-Gloomhaven definition of coffin box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivercat0338 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

So am I - Descent 1st Edition, Tides of Iron, etc. Look at those boxes sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Rivercat0338 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

So am I - Descent 1st Edition, Tides of Iron, etc. Look at those boxes sometime.

The existence of Gloomhaven requires a new box size description be invented.

My vote is for Crypt Box. zombie

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider putting the components in a large flat rate box (and print the label at paypal.com/shipnow for the discount). Then ship the lighter box filled with peanuts if they want the box. See how much that runs.

If you want to do it all in one, definitely print the label through paypal for the discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Rivercat0338 wrote:

It will fit two TTR boxes side by side if you don't worry too much about packaging. Good for filling things tightly (little filler games, bits) for the thrifty generosity boxes. Lots of weight anywhere for a modest price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
Rivercat0338 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

The existence of Gloomhaven requires a new box size description be invented.

My vote is for Crypt Box. zombie

~V

Actually, because of its shape, I think it's easier to ship than the coffin boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
Rivercat0338 wrote:

It will fit two TTR boxes side by side if you don't worry too much about packaging. Good for filling things tightly (little filler games, bits) for the thrifty generosity boxes. Lots of weight anywhere for a modest price.

You might be able to get a very thin layer of bubble wrap around them at most if you're using those boxes - you get less than a quarter inch clearance to work with for a TTR box. And those priority mail boxes are so thin, it's basically like shipping the game without a box if you don't give them plenty of padding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking this coffin box Planet Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
Rivercat0338 wrote:

You might be able to get a very thin layer of bubble wrap around them at most if you're using those boxes - you get less than a quarter inch clearance to work with for a TTR box. And those priority mail boxes are so thin, it's basically like shipping the game without a box if you don't give them plenty of padding.

With the thrifty generosity boxes, it's packed so full, it doesn't have anywhere to squish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
I was thinking this coffin box Planet Steam

That is THE classic coffin box. I still have TI3, Descent1 ... used to have Warcraft.

The nice thing about those boxes is they gave games room to grow

Gloomhaven, nothing. The reigning king of bloat (in my experience...) is Ogre Designer's Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.