Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Curse effect question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Parfitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm trying to figure out what the curse effect is ahead of our second scenario tomorrow evening. It looks like curse cards get shuffled into the attack modifier decks occasionally. What is the effect when one is drawn? Is that attack a complete whiff? Or is there some other penalty that applies? From what I gather, the attack is a miss and the curse card is taken out of the attack modifier deck.

Do I have that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
bcparfitt wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what the curse effect is ahead of our second scenario tomorrow evening. It looks like curse cards get shuffled into the attack modifier decks occasionally. What is the effect when one is drawn? Is that attack a complete whiff? Or is there some other penalty that applies? From what I gather, the attack is a miss and the curse card is taken out of the attack modifier deck.

Do I have that right?

The attack is not literraly a miss it's just that all damages are negated. But if your attack has a stun bonus, even with the curse the figures will be still stunned.

But yes, once the curse card is drawned, it goes back to the available pile. Note that this pile is not infinite. If there is no more card to shuffle in the deck then this is negated.

Don't forget too that there is 2 distinct piles of curse. One for monsters and one for players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and if you have 4 characters playing a scenario like scenario 2, you'll run into a complication

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are only 10 curses in the player curse deck, but the scenario calls for each character to start with 3 curses in their deck. 4x3=12, which isn't possible. So 2 players will start with 3 curses and the other 2 players start with only 2.
You can rationally decide who gets one less curse, or you can randomly decide it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
and if you have 4 characters playing a scenario like scenario 2, you'll run into a complication

There are only 10 curses in the player curse deck, but the scenario calls for each character to start with 3 curses in their deck. 4x3=12, which isn't possible. So 2 players will start with 3 curses and the other 2 players start with only 2.
You can rationally decide who gets one less curse, or you can randomly decide it
We had the same thing happen in a different scenario.
Scenario#65 says to add 4 curse cards to each character's attack modifier deck. There were 3 of us so we couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ShinyFirefly wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

We had the same thing happen in a different scenario.
Scenario#65 says to add 4 curse cards to each character's attack modifier deck. There were 3 of us so we couldn't.

I think maybe in the first printing (and thus when the scenarios were designed), there wasn't two different curse stacks like there is now. So there were actually 20 total curses that could be used either way. Thus starting the scenario with 12 or even 16 curses total in the players decks was feasible. But on the flip side, that meant that 20 curses could be put into the monster deck, which was ridiculously overpowered. So the change was made to limit it to 10 curses for the players and 10 for the monsters.

Frankly, I think 12 that could be put into player decks and 8 for the monsters may have been a better balance, and would allow for all 4 characters to get 3 curses (or for 3 players to get 4. would still prevent 4 characters from getting 4, but oh well). And I haven't actually playtested that adjustment, so maybe it isn't as balanced as I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

I think maybe in the first printing (and thus when the scenarios were designed), there wasn't two different curse stacks like there is now. So there were actually 20 total curses that could be used either way. Thus starting the scenario with 12 or even 16 curses total in the players decks was feasible. But on the flip side, that meant that 20 curses could be put into the monster deck, which was ridiculously overpowered.

This is correct. Even as it is now, "cursebombing", ie.: enhancing one or more weak attacks with many targets with curse is a ridiculously powerful endgame tactic. Discounting d/a, you reduce incoming damage by one third. Back when more curses in a deck were possible, it halved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Parfitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great info folks! We tackled scenario two last night successfully.

Miraculously, no one drew a curse during our 4 person play through. Go figure.

Now where to decide to go next...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bcparfitt wrote:
Miraculously, no one drew a curse during our 4 person play through. Go figure.

are you sure you guys remembered to add all 10 in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.