Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to the Endeavor: Age of Sail Exploit Spotlight series! This series offers an early look at the major new Exploits aspect of the game. Endeavor: Age of Sail is currently on Kickstarter, click here to check out the full campaign!

To visit Exploit Spotlight HQ and see all the Exploits so far, CLICK HERE.

Letters of Marque
This Spotlight written by Jarratt Gray

The Details

Historical Flavour: With seagoing frontiers covering half the globe or more, national navies didn’t have enough ships to defend their vast territories. Nations gave independent captains Letters of Marque which sanctioned them to attack ships from other nations. These privateers prowled the coastlines of North Africa and South America, among many other rich targets.

Regions to unlock: South America and Africa

Ability 1 (Attack Action): Push an opponent’s disc on a shipping track into the open sea of that region and replace it with a disc from your Harbor. Then, if that player has not yet passed in the round, you may steal one Attribute Trade token of your choice from their player mat and add it to your own.

Ability 1 (Ship Action): Return any number of your discs (worldwide) from the open sea to your Harbour.

Game End Scoring: Each completed shipping track scores Glory as follows.
• If you are the only player on the shipping track score 4 Glory
• If you are first in a shared shipping track score 2 Glory
• If you are second in a shared shipping track score 1 Glory
(Ties are broken using the same rules as Governor-awarding.)

Analysis

Granting Letters of Marque to privateers was a way that the seafaring nations could disrupt and attack the shipping lines of competing nations without risk to their own personal Navies. This exploit is all about gaining sea superiority over others which is reflected in the scoring of shipping tracks.

The first action grants player the ability to attack other shipping tracks for the first time. If the Letters of Marque Exploit has been opened you may do this even before a shipping track is complete, which may allow you to grab a governor you might not have otherwise got. While attacking a shipping track after it is completed won’t cause the governor to change hands, the glory awarded for control of each each shipping track and the chance to steal trade tokens from your competitors are both highly enticing prizes in the war for the high seas.

For those that have been pushed out all is not lost, the second action allows a player to pull all their ships in the open sea back to their harbour ready to redeploy for one final push as the Age of Sail comes to a close.

This ability to bring a bunch of ships home at once can be timed to be very effective; experienced players often keep an eye on opponents’ population in their Harbors to get a feel for whether they’ll be able to Attack or Ship or Occupy. Imagine their surprise when with a single Ship action you suddenly have a much larger workforce ready to go!

Letters of Marque is very simple in execution. It’s possible that players will never have the opportunity to attack shipping tracks at all, but whenever this Exploit is in the game it immediately elevates the status of shipping tracks and makes pursuing the control of them as a primary goal extremely valuable.

Combines Well With

The Spice Trade: Together these two Exploits allow players to gain significant glory for controlling the shipping tracks of Africa, India and the East. The Spice Trade also offers a powerful alternative to returning your ships back to your harbour, instead they can bring in precious goods that improve your asset tracks.

Saltpeter Stockpiles: While there are no casualties in this naval war, the improved cannons can prove invaluable for making attacks on shipping tracks without overextending the limits of your population.

Interested in what you've seen here? Don't forget to check out the full campaign, funded in FOUR HOURS and currently cruising through Stretch Goals on Kickstarter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Schalks
Netherlands
near Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuST a silly qUestion: is it 'harbor' or 'harboUr'

(sorry, bUt I'm not a native speaker ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ton,

In UK-English the word is harbour, in US-English it is spelled harbor. Both are correct.

I love your 'bUt' too, that made me smile.

Tig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m 100% certain I wrote this one with the U but Josh has edited me because haven’t reached the U stretch goal yet.

Please click the link above and help us get the U back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that this exploit just sounds so fun to play, it will really change the game up. I like the idea of using cannons to do something still attacking, but very different in exceution - the bring back to base action is also very cool as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Schalks
Netherlands
near Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarratt wrote:
I’m 100% certain I wrote this one with the U but Josh has edited me because haven’t reached the U stretch goal yet.

Sorry Jarratt, but there wasn't a "U" in your original 'Endeavor'(2009)
so I think therefore you can't get it 'back'

If we don't get to the last 1 million CAD$ Stretch Goal you could ask
Josh to put the "U" in the harboUr to satisfy all "U" fans ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tonami wrote:
jarratt wrote:

Sorry Jarratt, but there wasn't a "U" in your original 'Endeavor'(2009)
so I think therefore you can't get it 'back'

If we don't get to the last 1 million CAD$ Stretch Goal you could ask
Josh to put the "U" in the harboUr to satisfy all "U" fans ;-)

There was a U but I think it was lost at sea when we signed the game. I still dream of the Endeavour Expansion for Endeavor. ;-)

Now if we can trim the rulebook down to 11 pages, maybe I can convince Josh to put the U on the back cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tired of saying it but this exploit is great.

So simple yet so thematic. I think the mere presence of this one will change how people ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarcianIII wrote:
Tired of saying it but this exploit is great.

So simple yet so thematic. I think the mere presence of this one will change how people ship.

Oh definitely. It is one of the most overall-strategy-altering Exploits in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.