Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m taking MD to a con next weekend; but, I wanted to get everyone’s take on this rule before trying it out.

There are so many different house rules out there to make the mobs tougher, and some of them are pretty good. My main concern about mobs is that it’s pretty easy to stick them in place with a melee character; so, they get hammered with missle/magic fire while they stand around with their thumbs up their noses (or any other orifice). If the melee character doesn’t attack, there is no danger of him getting hit (assuming he doesn’t have the most XP).

As other people have posted, I want any changes to be simple and elegant; so, what about giving the mob slippery? At least they will get a shot at their attacker.

The other rule I’m looking at is the one where a hero only kills one character per attack. That will at least keep the mob around a little longer.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsz 47
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
I'm thinking of using some type of egagement rule that of a hero is engaged by 2 or more figures, then all others in a mob are considered slippery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thorsz wrote:
I'm thinking of using some type of egagement rule that of a hero is engaged by 2 or more figures, then all others in a mob are considered slippery

So essentially all mobs have slippery unless it's been whittled down to the boss. I'd see it more interesting if say 3+ since at least 1 boss and a minion can be pinned down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierrick S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
If the melee character doesn’t attack, there is no danger of him getting hit (assuming he doesn’t have the most XP).

If this hero is the only one on range, they will be attack.
As the priority targer rule state :
Quote:
Target priority:
1: Hero in Range with most XP.
2: Hero in Line of Sight with most XP.
3: Hero in a Light Zone with the most XP.
4: Starting Zone.

For slippery, some monsters have it : ratlings, mostly.

Not so sure of the impact on the balance of the game. Seems pretty rash for lower level, and always not so efficient in the latters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morneithil wrote:
dakkadakka1 wrote:
If the melee character doesn’t attack, there is no danger of him getting hit (assuming he doesn’t have the most XP).

If this hero is the only one on range, they will be attack.
As the priority targer rule state :
Quote:
Target priority:
1: Hero in Range with most XP.
2: Hero in Line of Sight with most XP.
3: Hero in a Light Zone with the most XP.
4: Starting Zone.

For slippery, some monsters have it : ratlings, mostly.

Not so sure of the impact on the balance of the game. Seems pretty rash for lower level, and always not so efficient in the latters.

There is no counterattack if the hero doesn’t attack the mob. In the enemies phase you are correct, if the hero is only one in LOS, and has the most XP.

I’m not certain it would be OP at lower levels - it just means that the mob will always get to swing at its attacker (unless the hero made a ranged attack from range 2+). That’s pretty much where you want your missle and magic slingers anyway. Pretty easy to get around that.

Another possibility is that you can make a rule where, if the pinned mob can’t counterattack the hero who attacked it, it will take a swing at the pinning hero. That’s a more logical way to go, although it would be tough on the tank. But that’s what he’s there for anyway - right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you give all mobs Slippery you also make it possible to game the mobs off of a hero that does not have slippery, which could make it easier for the heroes to manipulate the mobs. An idea to counter that would be to allow mobs to move toward their target, either in counter attack or during monster phase, and be able to drag the hero(es) with them. They could even collect heroes along the way. It would be interesting to make the dragged heroes have to roll to block damage using some criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
If you give all mobs Slippery you also make it possible to game the mobs off of a hero that does not have slippery, which could make it easier for the heroes to manipulate the mobs. An idea to counter that would be to allow mobs to move toward their target, either in counter attack or during monster phase, and be able to drag the hero(es) with them. They could even collect heroes along the way. It would be interesting to make the dragged heroes have to roll to block damage using some criteria.

I could see doing that with the roaming monsters, given their increased size. I have a little more trouble seeing some puny goblins being able to drag heroes with them. Interesting idea though - could call it a Barge agility.

The thing about the Slippery rule being gamey is that the pinning rule in its current state is already gamey. It’s a little like trading the devil for the witch. I’m not a big fan of cheesing rules - I like to play more in the spirit of the game. However, I haven’t found a good non-dairy solution yet to the pinning issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jos Black
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could rule that the enemy gains slippery only if it draws an equipment card it can't use.
For instance, a Goblin Warrior mob draws a bow, it can't use the bow since it doesn't have any ranged attack dice, so it gains slippery instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackerHawk wrote:
You could rule that the enemy gains slippery only if it draws an equipment card it can't use.
For instance, a Goblin Warrior mob draws a bow, it can't use the bow since it doesn't have any ranged attack dice, so it gains slippery instead.

Not a bad idea but still makes them predictable and therefore vulnerable.

I was thinking about granting Slippery for counter attacks based on the value of the Hero's attack. If you hit the mob for X wounds it triggers "Rage" and takes on Slippery. This way, even if you're trying to give it Slippery, the outcome will not be known and would fail on a weak attack roll. Maybe it triggers if you roll any Bam in your attack or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackerHawk wrote:

Personally I don’t see why a mob can’t use ANY treasure card it draws, regardless of whether or not it has the stats to use it. That would be a great offset to the pinning rule, without necessarily having to give them slippery. “Look there - a group of loser goblin warriors. Oh crap - they drew a bow. Now they can shoot us!”

People will argue “Well, they’re not trained to use bows; ergo -they can’t use the card.”. To which my response is - it’s a fantasy game, do whatever you want!! No realism here (at least not until my meds wear off...)

To the OP - I do like the idea of giving slippery to mobs that are wounded by a hero’s attack. That makes a lot of sense. Not sure how that will work with roaming monsters, as they are pretty powerful anyway (at least to lower level characters). Maybe give slippery to Lesser RM’s at dungeon level 3, and to Greater RM’s at level 5.

I think the other balancing rule I want to implement is one attack gets one kill max. That way nobody will waste 4-5 minions at once with a good roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Rage triggers if you inflict wounds greater than current level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:

Personally I don’t see why a mob can’t use ANY treasure card it draws, regardless of whether or not it has the stats to use it. That would be a great offset to the pinning rule, without necessarily having to give them slippery. “Look there - a group of loser goblin warriors. Oh crap - they drew a bow. Now they can shoot us!”

That's the only house rule I always use.
That greatly increases the variety of the monsters encountered. And that makes the game harder, which is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.