Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of target selection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Tucker
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Do I have to claim targets prior to revealing my 2 cards, and if so, if said target dies before it is my turn, am I able to target a different enemy as long as they are within move / attack range?

Dragon Warrior 3/4 is coming to mind when half my party attacks a corpse because the first guy got a critical hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmagicjerk wrote:
Do I have to claim targets prior to revealing my 2 cards, and if so, if said target dies before it is my turn, am I able to target a different enemy as long as they are within move / attack range?

Dragon Warrior 3/4 is coming to mind when half my party attacks a corpse because the first guy got a critical hit

No. You declare targets when you actually start an action that involves targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you don't even have to declare what actions you're using the cards for when you reveal them. When it gets to your turn, you can decide:

1) Which card to play first
2) Which card to use for its top action and which card for its bottom action
3) Whether you'll use the top or bottom for basic move 2/attack 2, or for their written abilities.
4) ...and obviously, given all those, how you're actually using the actions, where you're moving and who you're targetting.

You have a lot of flexibility to re-plan your turn based on what already happened before it in the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The only things you have to choose in advance of your turn are your two cards/long rest, and which of them is your leading card to set your init.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Quote:

Use the spoiler thing. We're starting the game and I now know there's something like a dragon warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
He's talking about the video game Dragon Warrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tucker
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
hugolin wrote:
Quote:

Use the spoiler thing. We're starting the game and I now know there's something like a dragon warrior.

LOL, yeah - talking about those old JRPG NES games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:
The only things you have to choose in advance of your turn are your two cards/long rest, and which of them is your leading card to set your init.

Just to clarify in case someone reads this later and has this question. You need to choose which initiative number between the 2 cards you chose will set your initiative for the round... but that card doesn't need to be played first. I just think "leading card to set your init." could be interpreted as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:

Now you spoiled it for him. Now he knows that there ISN'T a Dragon Warrior in Gloomhaven!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Now you spoiled it for him. Now he knows that there ISN'T a Dragon Warrior in Gloomhaven!

OR that it doesn't have this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.