Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A heavy family game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Nun-ya
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Ok, my wife and I are new to the board game scene, we love family games, ie. Ticket to ride, jamaica, stoneage, Survive escape from atlantis, five tribes, star realms, even kingsburg.

So what I'd like to ask is what game or games would you suggest that would be a great "intro/gateway" heavy style of game, to basically take us to the next step without overwelming us. Im guessing like Zombicide black plague or dead of winter....

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Jack attack
badge
The grumpiest grump
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd ask is what kind of heavy game are you looking to play? What types of mechanics do you enjoy that you'd like to have a heavier version of?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Nun-ya
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Sure, well we enjoy card driven movement, deck building, worker placement, and dice chucking.

Our favorite games right now include Raptor, Jamaica, Kingsburg, Elder Sign, and Star Realms.

So I suppose the better question, is what would be a great heavier style game, the next step up from family games? Minitures? Dungeon crawler? Heavy Euro? And if so, what would you suggest?

I hope this helps clarify my question better and thanks for your reply!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Avatar
Are you looking for a game with very simple rules, but rather complex emergent game play?

American Rails and/or Chicago Express.

American rails is a worker placement/train/economic game that centers around estimating player incentives and estimating the value you get out of buying shares in simple train companies.

Really, the rules are dead simple, all the complexity emerges from how the players interact with each other.

Chicago express has a similarly simple ruleset, but here you are trying to directly influence (rather than guess) player incentive. You are trying to set up situations for your opponents where their best move, is to definitely to your long-term advantage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Nun-ya
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Stunke wrote:
Are you looking for a game with very simple rules, but rather complex emergent game play?

American Rails and/or Chicago Express.

American rails is a worker placement/train/economic game that centers around estimating player incentives and estimating the value you get out of buying shares in simple train companies.

Really, the rules are dead simple, all the complexity emerges from how the players interact with each other.

Chicago express has a similarly simple ruleset, but here you are trying to directly influence (rather than guess) player incentive. You are trying to set up situations for your opponents where their best move, is to definitely to your long-term advantage.


Yes, that's a very good way of putting it, easy rules, easy gameplay, but emersive, strategic or even a long drawn out game. I have never heard of those two but I will definitely check them out now, great suggestions! I appreciate the feedback!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
For starters, if you like Jamaica, consider getting the expansion, Jamaica: The Crew; it's very good and we don't play without it now.

One that I can highly recommend is Dungeon Petz. I've not played it with two, but as a family, we really enjoy it and Rhado rates it very highly and he really only ever plays two player games.

Actually, you could do a lot worse than checking out Rhado's reviews as they are all done from a two-player perspective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Nun-ya
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Ingulphus wrote:
For starters, if you like Jamaica, consider getting the expansion, Jamaica: The Crew; it's very good and we don't play without it now.

One that I can highly recommend is Dungeon Petz. I've not played it with two, but as a family, we really enjoy it and Rhado rates it very highly and he really only ever plays two player games.

Actually, you could do a lot worse than checking out Rhado's reviews as they are all done from a two-player perspective.


Very cool! Thats funny, I just found out about the expansion for Jamaica a couple of days ago and will definitely be picking this up when it's re-released! Ill check out Dungeon Petz and see if it'll be a good fit and yes Rhado is good and we've got a ton of good feedback from him as well as Dad vs. Daughter, lots of good two player games! Thanks for the valuable feedback!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have a look at Imperial 2030.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Nun-ya
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
WilbertK wrote:
Maybe have a look at Imperial 2030.


Wow, what a cool looking game, looks like an interesting area control/polital game fest. Thanks for the suggestion and Ill definitely look more into it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Family game" and "heavy" are contradictory. One or the other.

The games that you list in the original post are not family games.

Based on those games, I would say that you could play nearly everything. I would look at a few of the higher rated games, read reviews and pay attention to the ideal player count.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
Food Chain Magnate is a great game that is heavyish but not super heavy and also not super difficult to learn, although heavier than if you are looking for Dead of Winter type games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPerfect1 wrote:
Food Chain Magnate is a great game that is heavyish but not super heavy and also not super difficult to learn, although heavier than if you are looking for Dead of Winter type games.


Sorry, but that is misleading. Food Chain Magnate is about as heavy as it gets. Food Chain Magnate is currently rated 4.21 for heaviness on the BGG scale. And ratings for that type of game tend to be optimistic (i.e. under-estimate the heaviness of games). Food Chain Magnate is very heavy. Everything heavier is a true monster.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly C
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Concordia is always the first game I think of in terms of easy to learn but strategic. The rules are very simple. Scoring can be a bit tricky at first, but not difficult.

Another one is The Voyages of Marco Polo. It's a dice placement game with trading resources and traveling, etc.

Neither of these are super heavy, but I think they would be a good step up from games like Ticket to Ride, Kingsburg, etc., and offer lots of strategy.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - you suggested it yourself - can be good if you don't mind the hidden traitor mechanic.

Viticulture, Stone Age and The Voyages of Marco Polo are on the lighter scale for Worker Placement mechanics.

Tikal and El Grande are both classics, that have worked exceptionally well in our family.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Euro side of games, like the ones you mentioned, I'd suggest The Castles of Burgundy, Bruges or Istanbul.

On the side of Ameritrash as you mentioned in your own suggestions I'd recommend Eldritch Horror, Massive Darkness or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Duplaisir
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Concordia (Perfect Step Up from Ticket to Ride for Euro Game Interest)

+1 Castles of Burgundy (Simple Point Salad)(Great Feld Intro)

Arkham Horror: The Card Game - Now this game is not very rules heavy as the cards contain most of the rules. You may have to look up what a word means in terms of game play but there is a simple dictionary book with the game. This game will let you build a deck for the first game and upgrade it through the campaign. While you don't chuck dice, everything in the game will make you pull chits out of a bag which is essentially a modifiable die that you have to roll to succeed the test. My only negative for may be they idea that new scenarios come out every month so it could get you investing a good bit of money, but if you really like it, that just means that more content is always flowing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your “criteria” 99% of games are family games. That is, any game that the two of you play is a de facto family game since you’re a family due to paperwork.

Family games, as BGG understands,them are games you can play with kids.

You should provide more information as to what you two adults like playing and are interested in trying out. Player count, theme, mechanics, style of game etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The Castles of Burgundy is a little heavier than Five Tribes. Might be a good next step.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
Food Chain Magnate is a great game that is heavyish but not super heavy and also not super difficult to learn, although heavier than if you are looking for Dead of Winter type games.


Sorry, but that is misleading. Food Chain Magnate is about as heavy as it gets. Food Chain Magnate is currently rated 4.21 for heaviness on the BGG scale. And ratings for that type of game tend to be optimistic (i.e. under-estimate the heaviness of games). Food Chain Magnate is very heavy. Everything heavier is a true monster.

I'm not gonna say it's not true what you said there, but I think it's just one way of looking at it.

Heaviness isn't a one-dimensional idea. A game can be heavy because of a lot of things, like game time, rules complexity, strategic complexity, number of options you have on your turn etc. What you do or do not consider to be a heavy game is super personal.

For me, what makes a game heavy in the sense that it will make it harder for me to get to the table, is mostly rules complexity. In that sense, Food Chain Magnate, and the other Splotter titles, are relatively (important word here: relatively) light. Explaining the rules for Food Chain Magnate isn't harder than explaining Catan plus the Cities and Knights expansion. So if you're looking for a game with strategic depth, and you don't mind that a game is very "thinky", but you just don't want to overwhelm your players with a lot of rules, Food Chain Magnate may be a good choice, even though it gets a high BGG weight ranking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMan88pk wrote:
Ok, my wife and I are new to the board game scene, we love family games, ie. Ticket to ride, jamaica, stoneage, Survive escape from atlantis, five tribes, star realms, even kingsburg.

So what I'd like to ask is what game or games would you suggest that would be a great "intro/gateway" heavy style of game, to basically take us to the next step without overwelming us. Im guessing like Zombicide black plague or dead of winter....

Thanks!

- Lords of Waterdeep
- Clank and/or Clank in Space
- Charterstone
- Whistle Stop
- Age of Discovery
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
Si Fei wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
Food Chain Magnate is a great game that is heavyish but not super heavy and also not super difficult to learn, although heavier than if you are looking for Dead of Winter type games.


Sorry, but that is misleading. Food Chain Magnate is about as heavy as it gets. Food Chain Magnate is currently rated 4.21 for heaviness on the BGG scale. And ratings for that type of game tend to be optimistic (i.e. under-estimate the heaviness of games). Food Chain Magnate is very heavy. Everything heavier is a true monster.

I'm not gonna say it's not true what you said there, but I think it's just one way of looking at it.

Heaviness isn't a one-dimensional idea. A game can be heavy because of a lot of things, like game time, rules complexity, strategic complexity, number of options you have on your turn etc. What you do or do not consider to be a heavy game is super personal.

For me, what makes a game heavy in the sense that it will make it harder for me to get to the table, is mostly rules complexity. In that sense, Food Chain Magnate, and the other Splotter titles, are relatively (important word here: relatively) light. Explaining the rules for Food Chain Magnate isn't harder than explaining Catan plus the Cities and Knights expansion. So if you're looking for a game with strategic depth, and you don't mind that a game is very "thinky", but you just don't want to overwhelm your players with a lot of rules, Food Chain Magnate may be a good choice, even though it gets a high BGG weight ranking.


Splotter games are not family games. Nobody should go from playing Star Realms and Jamaica to FCM.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - you suggested it yourself - can be good if you don't mind the hidden traitor mechanic.

Viticulture, Stone Age and The Voyages of Marco Polo are on the lighter scale for Worker Placement mechanics.

Tikal and El Grande are both classics, that have worked exceptionally well in our family.


If you don't have Voyages of Marco Polo, stop everything and get it now.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMan88pk wrote:
WilbertK wrote:
Maybe have a look at Imperial 2030.


Wow, what a cool looking game, looks like an interesting area control/polital game fest. Thanks for the suggestion and Ill definitely look more into it!


I played Imperial 2030 and I think it has a run-away leader problem. Rich get richer...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Whistle Stop and Concordia.

I would also recommend you look at Great Western Trail, Dominant Species, Automobile, Russian Railroads, Scythe, 1846, El Grande and Brass. You ought to watch a video or two of any that initially interest you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you want a mid weight Euro.

Some of my favourites are:

Puerto Rico
Concordia
Rajas of the Ganges
Great Western Trail
La Granja
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.