Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Vague questions for people who have played [I have not played] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying this but I am wondering about the legacy components.

Are there any 'big' legacy changes in the rules as you play?

I will make some assumptions based on what I have seen.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It seems like as you play you will add some new buildings and they will be permanent.

Is this basically the extent of what is "legacy" in this game? I would like to play this but I would like to have bigger changes than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules and mechanics are introduced as you play, and each game session have a temporary goal that will reward players more for doing certain things during each specific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ingram
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on your idea of 'big' but I would say yes. There are major changes that take place through the game, I remember being quite surprised at times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy refers to permanent changes that cannot be undone. In Charterstone, that refers to building stickers, rule and story stickers, and writing on the board and cards. There are also surprises and unlocks, which aren't inherently legacy, but two of those unlocked components can only be used once. There are also, as Chris notes, scenario-specific rules that push players in different directions.

One misconception I should note is that things need to happen in a legacy game that drastically change how the game plays. Charterstone is a competitive worker-placement engine-building game. If you're hoping that something will happen during the game that will make it something completely different than a competitive worker-placement engine-building game, that's not going to happen. We learned quickly in playtesting that players don't like thinking they're getting one thing, only for it to turn into something completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Legacy refers to permanent changes that cannot be undone. In Charterstone, that refers to building stickers, rule and story stickers, and writing on the board and cards. There are also surprises and unlocks, which aren't inherently legacy, but two of those unlocked components can only be used once. There are also, as Chris notes, scenario-specific rules that push players in different directions.

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the quick replies. A competitive worker-placement engine-building game is indeed what I am hoping for.

These are the answers I was hoping to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no sales here in Canada.

And yeah, if I am honest with myself I am probably leaning toward the board game first.

Thanks!

edit: oops this was intended for another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonnie Doiron
Canada
London
Ontario (ON)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:

Yeah, no sales here in Canada.

Worth it at full price, IMO. Am currently on second campaign with recharge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
I was able to pick my copy up on amazon. Pretty good deal ATM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dr
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
We learned quickly in playtesting that players don't like thinking they're getting one thing, only for it to turn into something completely different.

Jamey, I would love to hear a little more of that story, if it is something you can share. What "completely different" was in playtesting and then dropped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdr wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
We learned quickly in playtesting that players don't like thinking they're getting one thing, only for it to turn into something completely different.

Jamey, I would love to hear a little more of that story, if it is something you can share. What "completely different" was in playtesting and then dropped?

Let's just say the "strategic bombing rules" were scrapped early on...

Warning: the above may contain information that is partially or entirely made up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.