United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love CoOps and fantasy worlds.

Our tops are the Pathfinder Adventure card series, Pandemic Legacy 1/2, Gloomhaven, Legendary (alien).

Playing 2 handed is out of the question. It's just something we hate.

As a 2P only system, is this game a good purchase for us:
Poll: Dragonfire for you two?
Well, considering what CoOps you already play,
I say thee
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yea
65.8% 25
Nay
34.2% 13
Voters 38
This poll is now closed.   38 answers
Poll created by Geosphere
Closes: Fri Mar 2, 2018 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My boy and have 2 parties going, 1 player each and 2 player each. The 2 player each party is far more successful but the 1 player each is more fun (less hassle dealing with multiple hands.) However, after getting Aeon's End War Eternal we like it much better at 2 as it seems to be better adjusted for any player count. I would recommend the character expansion for Dragonfire as a few charterers in the pack are better suited for 2 player. You really have to pick your characters wisely at 2 to make sure you have all colors covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Off the topic a little, have you tried spirit island? It is our top co-op! It is absolutely fantastic. Spirit Island and then Aeon's End WE are our top 2. Dragonfire comes in around number 7 for our co-ops. So it is definitely a top 10 for us.

Spirit Island
Aeon's End
Gloomhaven
Dark Souls TBG
Xenoshyft
Scythe (yes - we play co-op versus several automa)
Dragonfire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I voted yes, but it's a very conditional vote.

The real question is for you: Are you and your wife OK failing the same adventure multiple times in a row, sometimes simply because of bad luck?

This will almost certainly be the case, especially as you're learning the game and assuming you haven't played Shadowrun Crossfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two players (single handed) works. It's just a LOT better with more players or playing 2-handed (we're never going back).

I'd like to second the recommendations for Spirit Island and Aeon's End. Especially Aeon's End if you are looking for a good two-player deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:

The real question is for you: Are you and your wife OK failing the same adventure multiple times in a row, sometimes simply because of bad luck?

This will almost certainly be the case, especially as you're learning the game and assuming you haven't played Shadowrun Crossfire.

You nailed and this is a good point. Once we fail twice, we start adding an extra token on the Dragonfire deck to make it a little easier. I don't mind failing, But after twice, I am ready for some help and I don't want to play 1 scenario over 5 times with the same party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:

This exactly. If you are playing 2p and single handed there are cases you'll be able to look at the monsters you pull and just give yourself 1xp and start over, especially at low levels. When I was playing 2 player single handed we just straight up took the roper out of the deck because there was no way in heck we were beating that thing. We have since decided to always play with at least 4 characters. Either playing 2 handed or with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
JavaGammer wrote:
My boy and have 2 parties going, 1 player each and 2 player each. The 2 player each party is far more successful but the 1 player each is more fun (less hassle dealing with multiple hands.) However, after getting Aeon's End War Eternal we like it much better at 2 as it seems to be better adjusted for any player count. I would recommend the character expansion for Dragonfire as a few charterers in the pack are better suited for 2 player. You really have to pick your characters wisely at 2 to make sure you have all colors covered.

I have seen a few people caution about character/class choices for 2p single handed. As I await my copy to play with my S/O (and I doubt she would want to play two characters at once), what sort of choices should we avoid or steer towards in order to have a reasonable chance if we play with just two characters.

I was able to order everything except the Sword Coast character pack so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chaplin717 wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

I have seen a few people caution about character/class choices for 2p single handed. As I await my copy to play with my S/O (and I doubt she would want to play two characters at once), what sort of choices should we avoid or steer towards in order to have a reasonable chance if we play with just two characters.

I don't have the game near me and can't remember all the details but I can give you a good overview. You are going to want high health, 2 characters that cover all colors. So both my characters have 3 colors covered each with red being weakest but still covered. So they are not overpowered in their own color but have a good mix. Use a background which will help on your weakest color. Make sure you follow 2 player rules and swap a card for a blessing to start. I have had pretty good luck. I think on 2 scenarios after we lost twice we added another token on the Dragonfire deck to make it just a little easier. I think 2 player starts with 3 tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would like to add, just in case the tone of my original answer indicated otherwise, I love Dragonfire. It has pretty much taken over my gaming table since I bought it a few weeks ago. I've taken my 3-character party through all the content currently available and loved it. However, there were definite growing pains as I learned the game and its system. If I hadn't come to these forums, I might have bailed on the game altogether. (B C Z and Principia deserve a paycheck from Catalyst! )

Last night I started a 2-character party playthrough and got destroyed in Scene 2 of the very first adventure (Dungeon Crawl I). But then I clawed out a victory in my second attempt and then defeated Wastes on my very first try. YES!!! Granted, three Flaming Oils came out in the Market, but still... YES!!!

So, to expand on my answer, if you're OK with occasionally grinding for XP while you figure out how the game or a certain adventure works, there is a lot to love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaplin717 wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

By definition, you will have every color covered, because by 2 player rules, as with Shadowrun Crossfire, each character takes on a secondary role, so that's not an issue in the literal sense. You will want to look at the card mix you start with when choosing who takes which secondary role.

Taking the half-orcs available to you will cushion the difficulty curve, due to their hit point boost and racial ability, which lets you keep your hand across stuns.

Another general rule: don't take a Druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Principia wrote:
chaplin717 wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

By definition, you will have every color covered, because by 2 player rules, as with Shadowrun Crossfire, each character takes on a secondary role, so that's not an issue in the literal sense. You will want to look at the card mix you start with when choosing who takes which secondary role.

Taking the half-orcs available to you will cushion the difficulty curve, due to their hit point boost and racial ability, which lets you keep your hand across stuns.

Just because you take a secondary role doesn't mean you get that color in your deck. The secondary role is used for checks and monster placement. You still need to have all 4 colors covered in your deck to defeat encounters. Big big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't just look at the character's starting stats, take the time to look through the Features (stickers) and see how each class can grow and plan out a road map.

For example if you want to play a Cleric, you might want his secondary color to be black so you can take War Domain. That means your other character needs to cover red/blue, so you know you need to choose something like Rogue and become an Arcane Trickster, or start as Warlock Fiend (race).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Principia wrote:

Prin speaks volumes of truth here.

We have never had a successful pairing that included a Druid.

Druids trade away starting cash for a large starting hand.
If the Druid cannot get a first turn kill, the lack of a first turn buy cascades painfully through the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaGammer wrote:
Principia wrote:
chaplin717 wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

Just because you take a secondary role doesn't mean you get that color in your deck. The secondary role is used for checks and monster placement. You still need to have all 4 colors covered in your deck to defeat encounters. Big big difference.

a) Hence why I said to check your starting mix.
b) I generally try not to dilute my decks too much with off colors - it's not essential if you aren't going into a skill-check-heavy scenario, and I won't void myself completely, but I find Dragonfire doesn't lend itself quite as well to the jack-of-all-trades type of deck as Shadowrun Crossfire did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
Also, don't just look at the character's starting stats, take the time to look through the Features (stickers) and see how each class can grow and plan out a road map.

For example if you want to play a Cleric, you might want his secondary color to be black so you can take War Domain. That means your other character needs to cover red/blue, so you know you need to choose something like Rogue and become an Arcane Trickster, or start as Warlock Fiend (race).

Your mileage may vary; early on in particular, the Market cards that become available to you during the game will have more of an effect on who is doing (or can do) what with their roles.

Not to toot my own horn, but if you don't want to sift back and forth through the sticker stack repeatedly to go over the Features (which drove me nuts when we first started playing), see the Sticker Books at https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/156204/dragonfire-sticker....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a number of articles in the hopper, and this topic inspired me to release this one:

Playing with a Partner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Principia wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:
Principia wrote:
chaplin717 wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

a) Hence why I said to check your starting mix.
b) I generally try not to dilute my decks too much with off colors - it's not essential if you aren't going into a skill-check-heavy scenario, and I won't void myself completely, but I find Dragonfire doesn't lend itself quite as well to the jack-of-all-trades type of deck as Shadowrun Crossfire did.

If your only playing 2 players you have to have 2 characters which can handle all 4 colors. You have to be able to cover all 4 colors. Even on a skill check light scenario you are bound to find encounters needing all colors at various numbers. Not saying necessarily dilute but a 2 starting characters with good balance between all 4 (including backgrounds for your weakest color) is essential. The character selection is vastly different between 2 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.