Eight-Minute Empire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Last player advantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules assume that Eight-Minute Empire has a first player advantage. This might be the case if, say, the initial six action/resource cards on offer include a cheap one for moving overseas, but this might not happen. What is certain is that there's a last player advantage, because you can make moves and no one has the chance to respond.
So at a recent game an opponent suggested this simple variant: the winning bidder can choose to go first or last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
baddice wrote:
The rules assume that Eight-Minute Empire has a first player advantage. This might be the case if, say, the initial six action/resource cards on offer include a cheap one for moving overseas, but this might not happen. What is certain is that there's a last player advantage, because you can make moves and no one has the chance to respond.
So at a recent game an opponent suggested this simple variant: the winning bidder can choose to go first or last.

But that's basically what the rules do say:
Quote:
The winner of the bid chooses who will be first player.

At least my rules do. That sentence is missing from the rules I had previously downloaded, so presumably it wasn't there originally and was added later.

The updated rules are available here in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
baddice wrote:

But that's basically what the rules do say:
Quote:
The winner of the bid chooses who will be first player.

At least my rules do. That sentence is missing from the rules I had previously downloaded, so presumably it wasn't there originally and was added later.

The updated rules are available here in the files section.

Hi Mark L, that must be a later version then, my rules just say "Players bid to see who will be first", there's no mention of the winning bidder being allowed to select someone else as the first player. I'll upload this version of the rules, a definite improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
"What is certain is that there's a last player advantage, because you can make moves and no one has the chance to respond."

That's highly probable, but not certain. In my last game about 10 days ago, I bid high and chose to go last. When my last turn arrived all six face up cards were either place a city or take reinforcement armies. None were movement cards. So not a one of the cards helped me a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Ward wrote:
"What is certain is that there's a last player advantage, because you can make moves and no one has the chance to respond."

That's highly probable, but not certain. In my last game about 10 days ago, I bid high and chose to go last. When my last turn arrived all six face up cards were either place a city or take reinforcement armies. None were movement cards. So not a one of the cards helped me a bit.

Fair point. At the risk of going on to a different topic, I have wondered if there should be a way of mitigating the luck of the card draw. City cards are useless on the last turn, and also useless on the penultimate turn unless spawning armies on the city space itself has some value. They really only have value if you have at least two clear turns following placement (one to spawn new armies on the city, another to move them).

Conversely you're not going to want a city card very early in the game either, before you've had a chance to move a decent distance from the starting space, and preferably to a different continent. So the window for finding a city card useful is very narrow. The rest of the time they're sitting there blocking the card queue, useful only for the resource on the card. Perhaps you should be allowed to keep a city card and use it later in the game for placing the city (though that doesn't solve the problem of useless city cards in the late game).

By the way, I do like this game and can see that any game this quick will inevitably have limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.