Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Kerry
United States
North Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all. I'm interesting in backing the game, but having never played Conan I'm hesitant to commit so much money to an unknown. If it doesn't click with my group I'd like to be able to sell it and recoup the investment. I'd expect since it's Kickstarter exclusive to hold its value well, but I was wondering if anyone knew how Conan pledges faired in after-market prices. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb

Anything KS Exclusive has a massive resell value.

And now think of a whole game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan may be a bad example, because Asmodee dumped all the excess stock. Base pledges were recently in a sale for $50. I don't see that happening with Batman which is almost certainly a far more popular IP.

This is all a risk regardless though and I'd recommend not speculating on board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:

Anything KS Exclusive has a massive resell value.

This statement isn't really true anymore. One upon a time, the first set of Arcadia Quest had a massive aftermarket value, but those days are mostly long gone with a few exceptions.

That said, you should be able to get your money back. However, if Monolith ends up doing a second KS for Mythic Battles, then it'll almost be a sure thing that Batman will get a KS reprint, and if that's the case, you may take a tiny loss because people won't overpay you for a used game that they can get new. Furthermore, if the first run has a number of errors or errata that a second print run corrects, you'll also probably be out a bit. Because the whole game is KS exclusive, everything in this campaign will be available in the next as well, which doesn't help when trying to turn a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
This is all a risk regardless though and I'd recommend not speculating on board games.

Absolutely correct, bad move - even if a good outcome. It's a hassle if nothing else. You have to list it, ship it and charge a lot for shipping since you won't get the shipping rates of a gaming company. Even if the thing reselled for $100 premium, good bit of that would be eaten by shipping costs even if in country. KS typically sell for some premium, but is it worth tying up your money for a year+ to MAYBE sell it for some premium after shipping? If you're worried about getting your money back for a single game purchase, maybe don't back it as there is risk. Very close to 100% this will resell for something, just whether you get every penny back and the hassle of finding a buyer and shipping should be considered. I've seen this happen for every market - things not considered collectable become so and then people pile on which eliminates the rarity required for a collectable to increase in value. Happened with comics, toys and the list goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By value, do you mean break it open play it once to see if you like it and then resell it for basically what you paid for it, and probably only lose a little on shipping???

I'd say that's a safe bet. But you would have to sell it within the first month or so of release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
but those days are mostly long gone with a few exceptions.

I think Batman will be one of those exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one mentioned the painted miniatures option. If the miniatures are painted to a high standard it could triple the value if the game is otherwise in brand new condition. A plus for Batman is that it will be overall much faster & easier to paint than say Mythic Battles: Pantheon.

I have sold about 75% of my Kickstarters as most weren't that great or my group didn't like it as well as I did. Most of us have limited space and time, so if a game isn't played during a 2 year period, I usually sell it. Games with miniatures also seem to be the best overall for resale value, but that may be changing as more of them enter the market and miniature heavy games also take up a lot of shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
SuperMike3288 wrote:
but those days are mostly long gone with a few exceptions.

I think Batman will be one of those exceptions.

Not if they opt to KS the base game again in the near future. Could still be valuable in the future, but you may wait 5+ years to break even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
swr66 wrote:
No one mentioned the painted miniatures option.

I'm actually far less likely to buy a painted game unless it was painted by the likes of Rogland Studio. I can paint to a tabletop plus or lower display quality myself and find most painters don't do work I'd be willing to pay for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, buy it. It's frickin' BATMAN. Sure, if you don't have any DC groupies in your group, don't buy it, but if you don't like the WizKids paintjobs and don't paint miniatures (Knight Models), and want quality miniatures with a decent game, this is about it. Conan's not as popular as BATMAN, so its after-market prices wouldn't be as good. Still, sellers are asking for $600 on a $125 + shipping Conan pledge, so, yeah, there's an after-market...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You will almost certainly be able to flip it for double the pledge cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent speculation SuperMike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsoby1 wrote:

I highly doubt that someone will pay $640 as long as it its obvious that there will be a second KS in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Kingsoby1 wrote:

I highly doubt that someone will pay $640 as long as it its obvious that there will be a second KS in the future.

And you wouldn’t be doubling your money as you’d have paid shipping fees during the KS + shipping to the new buyer + seller fees (likely eBay, so another 10% of final price).

Don’t think too many kids will be paying $700+, with or without a new KS — and there will be a repeat KS given Monolith have no other way to sell this thing in future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Kingsoby1 wrote:

Also, 10K backers after three days. Arcadia Quest had 5K backers for the entire KS. The more backers (quite a few buying extra copies to flip, I assume) the less likely you'll get a good deal if you decide you have no use for your copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have to factor in how many more people are getting into gaming every day. I don't think the numbers are as simple as you are making them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've flipped a few games in my time and things are certainly getting less profitable. Could be a CMON problem (quality of games, amount of resellers) and perhaps this license will be especially attractive to latecomers. If any project had a hope of hitting Blood Rage levels of reselling it's this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all supply and demand. Zombicide season 1, arcadia quest season 1, and blood rage were the three KS that had the largest margins.

This was because they all had far less backers than latter seasons. The more backers means more with second thoughts, more spare sets, or more folks buying just to resell. Once the market is flooded, prices drop.

Watch black plague vs green horde. Green horde will sell for far less. When a game raises millions, the resale value falls drastically.

Although exclusivity and no retail does raise prices. Mythic battles and kingdom death has shown that. They said there would be a second kickstarter but full pledges still sell from $800-$1000.

My experience says a full pledge $340 will net around $550 even with the amount of backers. A couple years from now an unopened pledge will probably be $600 or so (similar to black plague, which also had many backers but was a new game that was popular).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
^ agree. I don't think exactly double but close.

I was able to flip 7th continent for just about enough to cover my own lesser pledge. Probably could have gotten more, but wanted that liability off my books if you know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.