Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob question: What is a "keyword" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet played, but have been reading all of the files I can ahead of time to prepare.I keep running across lists of "keywords" but I am not entirely sure what a "keyword" is, and why you need to keep track of it on reference cards, or have a list. I tried googling but all I get back are the actual lists of keywords.
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:
I have not yet played, but have been reading all of the files I can ahead of time to prepare.I keep running across lists of "keywords" but I am not entirely sure what a "keyword" is, and why you need to keep track of it on reference cards, or have a list. I tried googling but all I get back are the actual lists of keywords.
thanks

In Legendary a keyword is a bolded word on a card such as Ambush. These terms are shorthand for a rule. In this case it means "after playing the card from the Villain deck, do what the effect says."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:
thanks

The definitions of the keywords are in each rule book/sheet applicable to that particular card's set.

EDIT: for a list of all keywords as well as their definitions, I would recommend reading this version of the rulebook (which includes all the rules from all the sets/expansions of Marvel Legendary): Combined Legendary Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're more noticeable in the expansions. Dark City included the keywords teleport, bribe, and Versatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
ArianneH wrote:
thanks

The definitions of the keywords are in each rule book/sheet applicable to that particular card's set.

EDIT: for a list of all keywords as well as their definitions, I would recommend reading this version of the rulebook (which includes all the rules from all the sets/expansions of Marvel Legendary): Combined Legendary Rules

I guess my confusion is why is there a glossary if the text is written on the card to follow. Are the glossaries more elaborate explanations? And does the same keyword take on a different meaning in the various expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
The keyword is on the card but the rule is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

Ahhhh .. well, that's annoying! But now it makes sense. I'll go looking again for the cheat sheets for the base set so I can easily have on hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:
Mundane wrote:

Ahhhh .. well, that's annoying! But now it makes sense. I'll go looking again for the cheat sheets for the base set so I can easily have on hand

If you’re playing with the base game, you won’t need it. I’m not sure if there are any keywords in the base game, but if there are there will be literally one or two and they will be incredibly obvious.

You only need a cheat sheet when you’re an idiot like me and have almost every expansion and mix them together for a thematic story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush, Fight and Escape are the only keywords in the base set I think, but you'll soon get the hang of what these mean without reference to any rulesheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls