Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Willcutt
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Boardgame Group MemberMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: Advanced Civilization fanMicrobadge: Die Macher fanMicrobadge: Crayon Rails series fan
As a big fan of the 18xx genre, I took notice when GMT announced the reprint of 1862, specifically the sentence "the ability to accommodate from 1 to 8 players."

Has anybody seen anything about how they are going to do solo? Some sort of automa or maybe just a score/goal to beat? I backed it on the P500, but I'm itching to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Auxier
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2015 Secret Soloist Gift Exchange ParticipantMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: My wife says I have too many board gamesMicrobadge: Disc Golf fan
I don't have any information for you, but, as someone who is interested in 18xx but rarely plays with more than 1 player and almost never with more than 2, I am also really curious about this and will be interested to see what people know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fields of Fire fanMicrobadge: Pericles fanMicrobadge: Games Receiving the Calandale Video Treatment fanMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fan
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1944412/supports-1-8-player...

Apparently a solo module is under development. neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Noise fanMicrobadge: SculptorMicrobadge: Industrial Music fanMicrobadge: LinguistMicrobadge: Goth
Oooh, sounds interesting.

I've been getting into 18xx recently, and would love a game that can accommodate faster speeds than the 1 move a day (give or take) of PBEM and isn't just playing multi-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I love New Zealand!Microbadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Fantasy reader
Do people generally play multi-handed? Or are there unofficial solo rules?

What’s the best introductory 18xx game for solo?

I’m intrigued now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Willcutt
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Boardgame Group MemberMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: Advanced Civilization fanMicrobadge: Die Macher fanMicrobadge: Crayon Rails series fan
ianwat wrote:
Do people generally play multi-handed? Or are there unofficial solo rules?

What’s the best introductory 18xx game for solo?

I’m intrigued now!
I've never heard of 18xx solo before, so I really have no idea. I'm really curious to see how this one is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Microbadge: Ares Magazine fanMicrobadge: Dwarf fanMicrobadge: Mistfall fanMicrobadge: '1'Microbadge: Geek of the Week
Count me in as curious. Playing an 18xx solo is certainly on my gaming to do list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Role-playerMicrobadge: Horseback Riding fanMicrobadge: I love Scotland!Microbadge: Video Game DesignerMicrobadge: Wargamer
1829 Mainline has specific got solo rules. I personally don't think they are the greatest, but it works.

A bit to the side, but Silverton is IMO a far better solo experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I love New Zealand!Microbadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Fantasy reader
jmlima wrote:
1829 Mainline has specific got solo rules. I personally don't think they are the greatest, but it works.

A bit to the side, but Silverton is IMO a far better solo experience...
Thanks - I found a thread which mentioned both of those, and Calandale lists some 18xx games he's videoed - thread

Got some research to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls