Subject: Is this co-op? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Says 1-4... dose that mean iut has a solo play mode .. or is it a co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, the main game involves some semi-coop due to the in-game AI that plays the Old Ones.

The game can also be played solo just you against the Old Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
so it is a competitive game? Our game group is kinda over co-ops.. we want to play vs each other nowadays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Peteyandycreek's recently posted Comment sums it up pretty well.
Quoted from the Comments page:

"The game is one of the best semi-coop experiences I've played, as semi-coops are very hard to find a balance between motivating players to work together and not. Usually games fail at this balance. Auztralia does not.

A competitive race muddied by cooperative goals:
Resources are limited, so there's a race to be the first to mine resources. The positioning of your farms (in relation to your opponents) will have important consequences re: whose farms will be attacked first. So, killing a monster may score you points, but leaving it alive might allow it to destroy an opponents farm. Alternatively, if two people have farms equally close to a monster, the farms may have an equal chance of being attacked, compelling you both act together. Alternatively again, you might be worried that the monster will come for you straight after your opponent. Making the monsters demise important, but not as important as for your opponent! Further, fighting a monster you know you can't defeat may be useful, as even contributing one damage will cause the person who does defeat it to share the victory points with you. To top it all off, everyone can lose if you do not defeat enough of the old one monsters by the end game, which is particularly likely if one player gets overwhelmed by monsters early on.

So the game motivates players toward competing for the same goals, but muddies the waters perfectly through the way player interaction happens. It certainly leans more on the competitive than coop side, but it does do semi-coop very well."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
oh well... think I'll pass then.. thanks for the help man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to clarify: this is a competitive victory point game that also features a neutral player who can win instead of the players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found semi-coop games unappealing to almost everyone and always an odd choice for game designers to play to the least common denominator. It is indeed a very difficult balance to design and I haven't found one that accomplishes it and it doesn't sound like AuZtralia does it either. Since I rarely play competitive games I now have to rethink my interest and support for this game. Funny that - I was 100% hyped on this yesterday thinking it was coop. Today I am lukewarm knowing I would only play it solo. And generally solo games of semi-coop, or even competitive, don't play very well as half the mechanics and style are lost. Time will tell but AuZtralia is now o the fringe of my gaming radar (gamedar?)

Since it has yet to launch on KS maybe the designers can add more options - though it is a bit late in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Marinov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are getting too hung up on the semi-coop part. This isn't Dead of Winter. You're not fighting Old Ones to help someone else (or the group), you're doing it to earn points or to protect your farms. There's just one twist - you can lose the game to the Old Ones if you don't keep them in check, which means sometimes you'll have to go after them more aggressively, instead of just looking after your farms (for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vega777 wrote:
I think people are getting too hung up on the semi-coop part. This isn't Dead of Winter. You're not fighting Old Ones to help someone else (or the group), you're doing it to earn points or to protect your farms. There's just one twist - you can lose the game to the Old Ones if you don't keep them in check, which means sometimes you'll have to go after them more aggressively, instead of just looking after your farms (for example).

Yeah, it's more a competitive "whoever gets the most points wins" game but there's the added caveat that if players aren't careful, Cthulhu could win instead.

It's not "cooperative, but one player can be first among equals if the players do win the game". It's not semi-cooperative in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen The_Geek
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call this more of a pseudo-co-op. It's not cooperative at all when it comes to victory conditions - only one player can win.

But just like in Risk (using because everyone has played risk, not because it's anything like this game) strategic alliances are sometimes necessary to keep you in the game.

Because the neutral player (Cthulu et al) are winning strongly from the beginning and killing their units is one of the only ways to score victory points, players will naturally team up to defeat the neutral player.

This feels nothing like a co-op and in fact you can screw people quite nicely by blocking their railroads or grabbing the character that would help your opponents' strategies. You can even run over and wake up all of the neutral units close to your opponent's base to screw them over if you like. The capacity for jerk behavior is nicely balanced by the fact that you don't want the game to end too early or nobody will win.

There are a few tense moments where you may want to help defend your opponents to give yourself enough time to win.

It's extremely well designed and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephen_the_geek wrote:

It's extremely well designed and a lot of fun.

Thanks for nailing it down. Just not going to be my cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jor Ray
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not coop. It is full competitive. Just a reminder that if everybody left monster unattended, they may win. But 100% competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirstin Donaldson
New Zealand
Auckland
NZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amanda has started a thread on my suggestions for full co-op - here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1957226/full-co-op-mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.