United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb

Two plays and each time the Germans came up just short. The game plays easy and is lots of fun with minimal hassle which allows you to focus on strategy. Next time I try it I'm going to mass all my panzers in the center and drive a giant wedge to Moscow a.k.a Operation Spires of the Kremlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

Presently losing at ASL, Operation Wheatfield from Crucible of Steel on Wednesday, Anatoly's Ambush yesterday, both as the Russian defender. In the latter case, trying out what proved to be a flawed set-up ready for tournament play today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Presently losing at ASL, Operation Wheatfield from Crucible of Steel on Wednesday, Anatoly's Ambush yesterday, both as the Russian defender. In the latter case, trying out what proved to be a flawed set-up ready for tournament play today.

The practise proved its worth : I corrected the perceived flaws in my set-up, and destroyed most of my opponent's tanks despite gacking three tank guns through intensive fire. Most memorable moment : my opponent driving a tank through a hail of shot and shell to get off the board ; that cost me two recalled tanks due to gacked main guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
msg tools
Loading Error...
mbmbmbmbmb

Played my first game of Ranger.

Situation Briefing #1
Mission Card #1: Recon suspected enemy rocket site in AO Yankee.

Mission Accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution

We're playing the scenarios in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzergruppe Guderian. I played the Russians. You should never play the Russians in this game is you have a depressive personality. It was a sad, disheartening series of retreat after retreat, trying to build a line of resistance around Smolensk and take out the occasional German unit.

And at the end, feeling it was a moral defeat, I found out that I had actually won the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the German player knows the game, it can be a slog for the Russians. But if the German player is overconfident and new to the game, it's really a pleasure to be the Russians, with your "it takes a licking but keeps on ticking" army. I always enjoyed being pushed back by a gloating German player only to have him count up the VPs at the end and find out he lost by 1 point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Had another campaign of Virgin Queen not too long ago, managed to pull out an auto-win as Spain on Turn 6 by having the Dukes reconquer Brussels & Antwerp for the victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infidel
Arsuf: Ayyubid victory 25pts vs Crusader 16pts.

Looked like a cake walk Crusader victory with Richard I getting his army over half way across to Arsuf before taking any loss.

But suddenly a few activations went Saladin's way and those Light cavalry got in behind Crusader line and shot up the wagons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through my first tournament scenario of Wilderness War.

Ended in a French victory, with them on 1 VP and the British only in control of the fort at Ohio Forks. To be fair, the British were closing in on Fort Niagara and Montreal, but just ran out of steam. The Provincial Assemblies track was at rock bottom, and the French seemed to get most of the British Regulars reinforcement cards - guess they were getting bled in Europe and couldn't spare the manpower. That, and some spectacular Raid results throughout the game by the French tribal allies kept them in VPs...

Really enjoy this game, despite a touch of A.P. in some Late Seasons as the Brits. Hey, I'm still learning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Butchers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I got my butt handed to me in my first ASL scenario this weekend. It was actually from starter kit 1 S1 Retaking Vierville, but using the full rules.

June 7th 1944 and it was pretty much a slaughter fest of my German troops. Even with the outcome I had a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Tim Parker
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played through about a dozen games of Holdfast: North Africa, before shelving it to dig out Holdfast: Korea. H:NA is a good game, but an Axis win is almost impossible, but the fun is in seeing how far the Axis can get. Still, constantly losing demoralized my playing partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through several solo games of the first firefight of Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal – The Pacific 1942. It's an introductory scenario, but has some interesting decision points, and Academy did a nice job of giving the new nationalities a different feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 5 player game of Space Empires: Replicators to try out the new expansion rules and Replicator ships. Very cool, although the Replicators were not aggressive enough early enough and though they did eventually get up to 10 RP, it was too little too late and they got stomped by Red and Yellow, Mainly Yellow CAs with emissive armor. Red had a road of three space folds into Replicator space (I am sure I shuffled the deep space tokens!) Blue was deep in Green space, but Green had Giant Ships (every ship takes an extra hit to destroy), and even Blue Raiders with Cloak 2 and Adaptive Cloaking couldn't make enough headway to quite reach the Green homeworld. Five player is interesting, but it does give everyone a smaller industrial base of home systems to exploit which made it hard for the replicators to build up a reserve of ships, even with the capital feature that gives them an extra hull ever odd turn. Looking forward to playing more of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had the privilege of joining some folks I know at a board game retreat out at the coast that ran through all of last week. It was a real treat - everyone had a long game scheduled in the morning, which meant getting to play a lot of stuff I'd love to get to the table more often, as well as a couple of things (Combat Commander and Churchill) that I've been curious about for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Gearhart

DUNEDIN
Florida
msg tools
mb
Pretty simple Waterloo game. Not without some charm though. 1/76 minis might make it more fun.

Victory at Waterloo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb

Friedrich

First time playing for three out of the four players. The one experienced (well, sort of experienced) player was given Madame Pompadour (France). The rest were drawn by lots. Short game--seven turns with Pompadour getting all the French objectives. Some initial bad play by Hanover (Prussia) led to an army getting surrounded and eliminated on the third turn with no Prussian armies to succor Ferdinand in sight. The French was lucky in the last turn as the Russian played in hearts in Eastern Europe, draining the Prussian hand of these when Soubise got into battle against a forlorn Prussian army that was protecting the last objective. A reserve card sealed the deal and the Prussian Army was eliminated. Luckily, the Cards of Fate did not eliminate the French in the two turns before Madame P. won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Played a game of QM general 1914 with 4 newbies.
It was hard getting them all together but they all liked the game (making wargame players is a long term investment). Antante forces won (I was uk/us), but only by 3 points. Two people that had pre-arranged meeting later that day said they are sorry that they didn't free the whole evening to have another go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood & Roses

1st St Albans Yorkist Victory: Lancastrians 6FP, Yorkists 0FP.

Lancastrians only got the time track down to 5 (from 8) and had to spend at least 3 free activations rallying retired units or face a certain defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge

The Second Battle of Corinth

Decisive Union victory...I really blew it as the Confederates and I need to figure out a more subtle approach, I think.

Copying over part of the comment I just wrote for it:

There are lots of really interesting ideas in here, such as the simplified-but-effective command system, the (potential for) hidden plotted movement, the supply system, and the differentiation between stragglers and casualties. Unfortunately the rulebook is vague in places and there are lots of little errors and inconsistencies between it and the other materials (like the wrong historical dates in the turn track!). It's fairly clear that the rules were adapted from either a previous game or from a series-specific ruleset to fit specifically this battle. That means that you get broken references and mixed-up terminology and such. I think I would rather have seen the full series-specific rules followed by the game-specific stuff. I understand, though, if the DTP format constrained that.

I do wish this were a bit of a bigger engagement so I could explore more in-depth some of the mechanisms. Alternatively, the system might also work well, with little adaptation, with the brigade units rather than divisional units. As it is, though, I think there are some decent challenges that the players will encounter and that it rewards good play. Once you get the hang of it, it plays really quickly (although, with only 5 formations in the game with chits to pull, and only 2-3 units per formation, that can be expected), so it doesn't outstay its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shane
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played another Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War. Republicans held out, but just barely.

Before that, it was Holdfast: Russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Another play of The Pacific War: From Pearl Harbor to the Philippines with Tom Peters. Since I won with the Japanese last time out, Tom took the Axis role.

The Japanese had great success at Pearl Harbor and Singapore, but instead of pursuing the more traditional push to gain control of the Philippines and Singapore, Tom drove for Ceylon. While he did control the British port, Singapore remained contested and the Philippines were under U.S. control. Turn 1 ended with the Allies gaining a single VP.

On Turn 2, the Japanese pushed hard on the Philippines and Borneo, ultimately gaining control but at a significant cost in ships. They were forced to play valuable cards to resupply fleets again costing them port control. The Japanese efforts to control access to Australia fizzled, and the Americans were in great shape to end the turn.

Turn 3 was too much. The Americans opened up the sea lanes from Australia and liberated Borneo quickly then reoccupied the Philippines. That was it. There was no way for Japan to expand in the remaining two turns, and VPs were still in favor of the Americans.

The push for Ceylon was a new strategy for the Japanese player. While he gained control on Turn 1, it came at the cost of the Philippines and Singapore, both vital to a Japanese victory. Tom and I continue to play test new hand sizes in preparation for the revised rules. Once those are published, this game is destined for my Top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More of this stuff:

There's a lot of chaos for what appears to be just for the sake of chaos, but it's good fun, if a bit silly sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

More Combat Commander: Europe.

Scenario 11 of the Tournament Battle Pack: La Villa Strangiato.

The Italians won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.