Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Vikings Gone Wild» Forums » General

Subject: Game Set-Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Henning
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Played this game a couple times (love it!), but a minor point of confusion regarding set-up. For Odin's Favor and Divine Favor cards, we are told how to shuffle these decks and then shown that the whole deck goes into the left most space as the cards are then placed out to the right.

For the Attack, Defense and Building cards, I can find no such definition. The set-up simply states to put those CARDS face up on their spots. Where does the remainder of the deck go? Is it treated like the Mission cards (which go off board) or are the cards to be evenly distributed between the spaces with the TOP card turned up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack and Defense cards, like building cards, are put in individual piles in their designated slots. They're not randomized so each of the selected cards (3 different units, 3 different defense, 6 different buildings) are always available, always face up.

When you purchase a Pigator, the card underneath it will be a Pigator, and underneath, a Pigator, etc.

I hope it's clear ^^
It's like in Dominion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Attack and Defense cards, like building cards, are put in individual piles in their designated slots. They're not randomized so each of the selected cards (3 different units, 3 different defense, 6 different buildings) are always available, always face up.

When you purchase a Pigator, the card underneath it will be a Pigator, and underneath, a Pigator, etc.

I hope it's clear ^^
It's like in Dominion.


Razoupaf is correct. Except, if you might have the kickstarter edition, then yes, the rest of the unit and defense cards are off the board and unavailable for this game. IF you have the kickstarter version, there should also be a loose sheet telling you how you can play a game while playing with the forementioned cards anyway (letting them replace some of the others on the board)

Then again, if you don't have the kickstarter version or any of the extensions, just skip what I said
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right I didn't mention expansions.
If you're playing with expansions you should only use 12 different unit/defense/building cards in any combination you see fit. Following the rulebook presets is advised though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
That's right I didn't mention expansions.
If you're playing with expansions you should only use 12 different unit/defense/building cards in any combination you see fit. Following the rulebook presets is advised though.
So, just to be super clear before I pull the purchasing trigger...

In the base, retail game, there is absolutely no variation game to game in the Unit, Building or Defense cards? Variability between games comes from Missions, Odin and Divine cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Temeraire wrote:
In the base, retail game, there is absolutely no variation game to game in the Unit, Building or Defense cards? Variability between games comes from Missions, Odin and Divine cards?


That is correct although it sounds a bit negative when worded like that
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that! I didn't mean it to sound overly negative. The deck builder mechanic immediately connects the reader to games like Dominion or Thunderstone where the variation in the Village cards and working out how they fit together is half the game.

The other big "deck builder" that jumps into my mind is Star Realms, and I think this is a bit of a closer comparison to VGW, and it would probably be easier to have a more gushing comparison as VGW is like Star Realms, but with two Rivers for more variability and the chance to Build indestructible things that never go in your deck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.