Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Barasona
United States
Snoqualmie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve watched Rodney’s “Watch it Played” video, looked in the official FAQ, and looked through the Rules forum here on BGG and unless I must’ve missed the answer, a situation has me puzzled.

At 14:30 of the “Watch it Played” video, Rodney says that if a recruit has you gain or lose morale or knowledge and you can’t, then you can’t gain the benefit. He then used an example where you could gain a benefit if you gain two knowledge, but couldn’t if you were already on the 5th or 6th spot on the knowledge track.

So could I pay one food or bliss to retrieve my workers and gain two morale even if I was at the 5th or 6th spot on the morale track or would I not be able to take that option since I couldn’t receive the full two morale and therefore could only retrieve my workers by losing one morale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is ok, you can do it. You can't play an ability where you have to increase knowledge or lower morale as part of the cost. It's totally ok as part of the benefit. Aditionally gaining morale is a benefit, but Rodney talked about gaining knowledge in this video, which is a drawback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
You can't play an ability where you have to increase knowledge or lower morale as part of the cost. It's totally ok as part of the benefit.

This is common to many other games as well (including Scythe, Terraforming Mars, ...): a cost is mandatory, a benefit is optional. E.g. in Scythe you can take a bottom-row action just for the coins or enlist bonus even if you cannot do the "real" action because you e.g. have built all your buildings. And in Terraforming Mars you can play a card that increases oxygen even if oxygen is at max - you just ignore that part of the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.