Subject: 2 Player Card Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the game Raptor each player plays a card face down, then they are simultaneously revealed. Higher number gets action points equal to the difference between the revealed numbers. Lower number takes a special action determined by the card.

I really like this mechanism, and I have an idea for another game which could make use of it. But i would like to know if it has been tried in other games as well. See if it has been implemented in subtle clever ways. I know the set of Card Driven Games in the avenue of Twilight Struggle uses something similar where you play a card and choose either the event or the action points. While this is neat, I really like the simultaneous uncertainty of the card-play in Raptor.

So, any other games (preferably 2 player, or if higher counts, the mechanic is between 2 players at a time) that have interesting give/take plays like this? Doesn't HAVE to be cards, but that was the direction i was leaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BraveRats - effect gets applied to comparing power
Broom Service - you pick you hand then see if going brave or cowardly pays off more
Tides of Madness - this might be a little off being that its a pass and play but I think its still worth seeing if it scratches the itch your after

And in twilight struggle I think the part you would appreciate is its common for you to play a card for the action points but your opponent gets the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I can't think of any games with this exact same mechanism, but here are a couple more that have a similar idea:

Glass Road - simultaneously choose action cards from a larger set (each player has indentical sets to choose from). In turn order, reveal an action card you selected. If no one else chose that card, you get to do both actions on the card. If someone else chose it, you only get to do 1 of the actions, AND they get to do 1 of the actions as well on your turn.

Grimoire - players simultaneously choose a spell from their spellbook and then reveal. Weaker spells go first, but stronger spells obviously have greater effect.

Hotel Samoa - players simultaneously choose a price card to play. The price is both the cost you'll pay to buy an upgrade and the cost you'll charge guests (your source of income). Guests will always choose the cheapest hotel, so go too high and you won't get any guests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have grimoire. Thats a little different, but a fun game.

I really like the glass road thing. Don't think i can apply it in my specific circumstance but it is a neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.