Subject: Scenario two... what did we do so wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Fenton
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Beds
flag msg tools
We played Rise of Moloch over the weekend and came away from it with a bit of a sour taste.

Having read all the comments and reviews here and even taking into account the shoddy rules, it looked like a fun game with plenty of cool theme and good times to be had.

However, the second scenario in the core campaign felt like a complete disaster for the Gentlemen with no chance at all of success.

We started in the central room and over the course of 10 rounds only one of the four Gentlemen managed to leave that room (after which the ghost ran to a different cabinet and never came back).
We were instantly swamped by the horde of shambling and flaming zombies, as well as the three agents (one of whom summons more minions of her own). We could not move, could not stem the tide of minions and it was only because the Nemesis chose not to have the flaming zombies set the house on fire that we didn't burn to death. (he felt it was unsporting as there don't appear to be rules for putting fires out once started).
Zombies were spawning faster than we could pick them off (not being allowed to shoot the summoner agent didnt help thanks to the stupid "must shoot adjacent target" rule!) and pinning us in.

The game ended after 10 rounds of irritating stalemate and a table full of people who do not want to play the game again.

Honestly, it sucked. Hard.

So... what the hell did we do wrong? We discussed it at length afterwards and could not see how the Gentlemen could even move, let alone get all four items from the cabinets and win the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/the-world-of-smog-...

This is the designer's discussion about Chapter II. Granted, it was printed in mid-April of last year, so the content is almost an entire year old - I'm not sure how much of it was changed during final development of the game.

But he gives some strategies for both the Nemesis player as well as the Gentlemen. Perhaps it can provide some insight/tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Meulengracht Flachs
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Gentlemen are controlling when the Ghost moves, they could ensure, that it moves after any attempt to talk with it.

You don't have to fight agents and minions, only to talk with the Ghost in each of four places.

The minions and agents start at the edge of the scene, so it will take at least two turns before the house is swamped.

In the first turn, move the Ghost first, and then move a Gentleman to is location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wood
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like you, I played the first and second scenario with my group last weekend.

Have to agree that the rules and wording leave much to be desired, and there are significant gaps, but given how much the game is modeled on D&D, we used D&D rules to fill in the blanks for the most part.

The second scenario is tough on the gentlemen compared to the first, and a big leap in terms of difficulty curve.

My group won, but by literally by the skin of their teeth, by changing the activation order so that the gentleman that was totally surrounded didn't get up (and be killed again, the 5th kill) before the last token could be taken.

They also avoided giving ether in the last round so that I couldn't activate any minions.

They were also assisted by my consistently appalling dice rolls laugh

The most problematic element is the 'moves' bit for the ghost. If you read that as floats from point to point, it will make it pretty much impossible - we intuited that it must mean teleports (which agreed with FAQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing this scenario at the minute. We chose that once Blackmore is on a point of interest he stays until it's resolved. Otherwise he wanders around like crazy. She currently has half of the buildings on fire. Some ether abuses left her with just Emerson by round 6. This doesn't seem to be easy at all for Gents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems to me that in Moloch both sides must give their best to try and win the game. For me this is a great news, since I have waited a lkng time for an 1 vs 4 game like this one. On the other hand it means that the gentlemen as a team must try and build their team to match the different scenarios, but it requires prior knowledge of the scenario. The 2 objectives in the starting room is easy to get to, but for the rest, the heroes must prepare. Only one gent must reach the given place, so for a runner you can have a fast character with +health arsenal card or role. If he reaches the objective with 2 movement, the leader can give him the action to interact with the objective. Against the horde a knight with his aoe damaging upgrade is great. You will have to think about specialized roles, and activation orders to get each objective as fast as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played chapter 2 this Tuesday and it felt clearly harder for the gentlemen.
I finally won the game as the nemesis but the heroes managed to get at least 3 tokens.

We ended also with the house crowded by zombies, so I can get the feeling you had.

Some thoughts about this chapter :
- Maybe all the chapter are not meant to be easy on the gentlemen. My group won easily the first chapter (by constantly NOT using ether) and we thought that this one was more challenging for them (but they want their revenge). The consequence of win/lose doesn't seem to snowball from chapter to chapter, so maybe one loss every other time can be endured by the gentlemen
- I think this chapter is really "Be quick or be dead" and if we played it another time, my group would rush a lot more to every token (even without ghost) just to be able to be where he goes.
- We found also that the choice of gentlemen can be crucial. Parvi Khan, with it's flying power was a great help for them. The Out of my way power of the knight change at lot of the minion overwhelming thing.
- we also found that the Role card can be a game changer when given to one or other gentlemen, changing support class into tank or hard guy in runner.

To be honest, we skip two rules too (I found about them after the game) :
- the shoot adjacent target in priority (I can see how that would have add hindered them)
- The fact that I could spawn flaming zombie directly (I thought I needed to drive them through fire to make them afire)

So maybe that was why it was less uneven.

My two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. M.
msg tools
I set the whole house on fire - still it was the only mission that I lost so far as Nemesis.

We played with the original Gents except the wolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SisterV wrote:
I set the whole house on fire - still it was the only mission that I lost so far as Nemesis.

We played with the original Gents except the wolf.

Setting the house afire is a bit double edged because the royal/dismembered zombie do take damage from it and so does the agent. Was it a problem in your play ?

How did the session went for you ? What did the gentlemen to overrun you ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game and it was incredibly close. The whole house burnt down and the nemesis won by a roll, which if they'd missed, the Gentlemen would have won the game on their next activation. I thought it was very well balanced, despite initial misgivings. Just goes to show how games play very differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
given how much the game is modeled on D&D, we used D&D rules to fill in the blanks for the most part.

Sorry - but no it isn’t, whatever gave you that idea!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Petit
France
flag msg tools
Are the walls between 08A and 03B impassables?

My first assumption was yes but the consequence is that I have no doors to go outside the initial room, just some windows which seems weird...

In the other way, if I could walk from 03B to 08A, it seems to easy for the Gentlements to control the 4 tokens and wait Blackmore.

I've just illustrated the logic to reach the bottom left token if the walls are impassables (green line) or not (red line):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ptiyo wrote:
Are the walls between 08A and 03B impassables?

My first assumption was yes but the consequence is that I have no doors to go outside the initial room, just some windows which seems weird...

In the other way, if I could walk from 03B to 08A, it seems to easy for the Gentlements to control the 4 tokens and wait Blackmore.

I've just illustrated the logic to reach the bottom left token if the walls are impassables (green line) or not (red line):

You cannot pass from left to right (there is wall), but you can pass from top to bottom (from memory, there are for symbol, or at least no wall drawn. I don't have the actual tiles under the eyes, but I remember the settings we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, they are open in the vertical direction (where the bottom G letter is printed). Both of the connecting map tiles have an opening there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Petit
France
flag msg tools
Ok, thank you for your replies.
So, when I have a door indicator in front of another, there is a free passage.

Nevertheless, I've the impression to miss something, let's try to explain my concern.

At the beginning of the scenario, if the Gentlemen moves to control (be adjacent) to the 4 tokens:
- At the end of each round, the Gentleman who talks to Blackmore will be freed to help the others.
- Each time a Gentleman is neutralized, he just has to be planned at the end of the round to avoid to be neutralized another time too quickly.
- In 4 rounds, there is a great chance that the party ends.

So except if the Nemesis could surround a Gentleman and neutralized him before it's next activation, it seems difficult for the Nemesis to win, no?

I'm pretty sure that I miss something but I don't catch it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, things get more complicated when flaming zombies start smashing through the walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Petit
France
flag msg tools
Confirmed, I retried this scenario with these rules and the finish was very tight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.