Subject: Indirect Lay with Mortart - directions of fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Kalinowski
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using indirect fire with mortars, can I fire 2 cards straight and one in diagonal? Or only diagonal and straight lines are available?
Something like that:
(\)( )( )
( )(|)( )
( )(|)( )
( )(M)( )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Only straight diagonally and orthogonally.

5.2.1 Line of Sight (LOS) and Range
Line of Sight (LOS) is traced along the eight straight lines (only) from a card to the eight adjacent cards and beyond. (Thus, you may not trace a LOS left/right over two cards and up/down/diagonally one.)

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Rule 6.7.4 seems to indicate that when using Indirect Lay, it is possible to fire on any card within range.

"When using Indirect Lay, on map mortars do not have to trace a straight
LOS to the target
, but must be in range traced in cards including
diagonally
and not including the card the mortar occupies".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kalinowski
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That pointed me to this conclusion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Indirect Lay

Which means a unit will be spotting for the mortar. In this case it can end up that the mortar and the target are on cards that are not aligned orthogonally or diagonally. But the spotting unit still has to follow LOS rules, meaning the spotting unit—per the LOS rules—only has LOS along diagonal and orthogonal lines.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kalinowski
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Quote:
Indirect Lay

Which means a unit will be spotting for the mortar. In this case it can end up that the mortar and the target are on cards that are not aligned orthogonally or diagonally. But the spotting unit still has to follow LOS rules, meaning the spotting unit—per the LOS rules—only has LOS along diagonal and orthogonal lines.

Best,
Ricky

Ricky, spotter part is clear for me. I meant indirect lay and was wandering for the mortar itself - does it need to be orthogonally or diagonally. From your explanation, it doesn’t have to. That is a good news for the situation I have on the board now

Thanks
Marcin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I meant indirect lay and was wandering for the mortar itself

Indirect Lay is used when the mortar itself is not in LOS of the target. It thus requires an eligible unit to spot. The spotting unit, therefore, is bound by the LOS rules (i.e., must be straight orthogonally or diagonally from the SPOTTING unit). Main thing in this case, as far as the Indirect Lay mortar unit is concerned, is to make sure it does not violate range restrictions.

Hope this is helping.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.