Popular Tags: [View All]
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey,

I have decided IS to be my next game. I already have Terraforming Mars, Elysium, Seasons and maybe like 6-7 more tableau building games but I think this will differ them all.

I like the aggressive interaction between players.

What I'm asking is - which expansions should I get right off the bat? I like playing complete games, but still...

Why can't we be friends seems like a must, because it adds a whole new interesting mechanism.

3 is a Magic Number seems not so much of a new thing.

Atlanteans and Aztecs - are they noticeably different? Should I go for one of them (or both) right off the bat? Or maybe instead of the small ones?

Are there any I missed?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hold off on Aztecs - it's really unbalanced.

The others are definitely worth getting, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Umciowski
msg tools
Hey,
glad you want to get it- it's a great game.

Surely grab the first mini expansion.
Second one is less entertaining, but offers surprisingly viable alternative strategies for scoring.

Both new races are nice, but they're very different than base four.
Atlanteans are based on actions and improving existing structures, they're much more complicated, tend to make the game drag and many people dislike them- I personally rarely allow less experienced players to play with them.
Aztecs on the other hand are super easy and they're based on random effects.
They both come with additional cards for base races that include their specific mechanisms.

I'd grab the mini expansions (or the first one), play some more and then go for additional races
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Rickett
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If aggressive interaction is what you want, the new small expansion "we didn't start the fire" is coming out in May. It sounds like this expansion will involve aggressive player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Enjoy the base game for what it is first, imo. There is plenty in it.

Then when it clicks you can pick and choose what rules that you have become accustomed to, could do with a twist with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Imperial Settlers but I'd suggest just starting with the base game.
If you don't like the base game, the expansions won't change your mind.

So the safe thing to do is try out the base game and see if you are interested in more after that. If you like the game as much as I do you'll end up with everything. If you are luke warm or worse, you saved yourself some money.

I echo that the Atlantean and Aztec expansions aren't the most balanced but they are not too far off most of the time. They are still a fun addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.