21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Bully Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools

So i guess everyone knows about a video game calld ''Bully'' I intend to make a board game prototype for it

Gameplay, will be about bully other cliques, there will be 4 factions for now. Jocks, Greasers, Prepps and Nerds. The board map will be made in a cartoonish art like. There will be several locations of the Bullworth Acadamy school. School, Autoshop, Footballfield, Library. Each of these locations represent the grades that your faction need to have in order to win victory points! There will be weapons, and traveling mechanic such as skateboard, bikes. School year will be based on a round track. Round goes from 1 - 20. Each faction will have their member cards. That shows streangth and special ability and health. What simulation works best for this type of fight in game, dice or just numbers? what do you guys think?

What program can i use for map making? to make it look like more art designed. Painted in other words...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love if you focused your energy on something else.

Unless this game is about STOPPPING kids from being horrible to each other because they think it's funny.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides_that_have_bee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

Unless this game is about STOPPPING kids from being horrible to each other because they think it's funny.

Are you joking?.......there are PC games and board games about killing eachother, and you seriously go off telling me i cant make a funny game about the PC game that (many kids play themselvs actuelly) about bully? FYI my game does not focus 100% on bullying, its about people getting grades for victory points. I dont think you know what this game is about. Go check it on youtube. FYI this board game wont be for small kids. ID set the age up to 16 years old IF you dont like bullying, turn your attention to games that is about bullying for 13 year olds..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88KNf0MtU14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I can't speak for what this board game idea, but Bully the video game was not pro-bullying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Are you joking?.......

No, I am not joking.

Quote:
there are PC games and board games about killing eachother, and you seriously go off telling me i cant make a funny game about the PC game that (many kids play themselvs actuelly) about bully?

I'm not sure I 'went off', I expressed an opinion.
Bullying is real.
Bullying affects kids for decades beyond leaving the school yard.
Anything we can do to stop it is a good thing.
Perpetuating bullying is not a responsible action.

Quote:
FYI my game does not focus 100% on bullying, its about people getting grades for victory points. I dont think you know what this game is about. Go check it on youtube. FYI this board game wont be for small kids. ID set the age up to 16 years old IF you dont like bullying, turn your attention to games that is about bullying for 13 year olds..

In that 64 second clip I saw:
School Fights
A Slingshot
Property Vandalism
Multiple 'wedgies'
Lockering
Threats
Gang/Clique Identification

These are NOT positive things.

__
I've said my peace - continue your quest for art tools, but please consider your message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main character spends most of the game, after a poor start admittedly (it's why he got sent there), taking on the bullies & dealing with the cliques & gangs.

The video game is a sandbox type so yes, you can spend time stealing bikes & breaking things but you won't progress if you behave like that, will get caught by the police & have your things removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Video game was pretty good - basically a spin-off of Grand Theft Auto, which you know is about stealing cars, rampaging through town killing people, so thematically I’m not sure which one is more kosher. Awesome music though!

I think a board game of it could be good, loosely of course to avoid IP conflict. Avoid trying to have shock value. Lunch Money would be your thematic low-bar example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
Each faction will have their member cards. That shows streangth and special ability and health. What simulation works best for this type of fight in game, dice or just numbers? what do you guys think?

I'm thinking multi-use cards.
You can use them in normal time to improve your grades, as bonus items providing extra stats, a small permanent skill bonus etc, etc. They would be added to a player board & stay there.
Also could be used to influence group/faction standings relative to each other- much the same as you can adjust the civilisations in Utopia
During any conflicts, they can be played & discarded to boost skills above your base. Better numbers when used this way but only a one-shot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Are you joking?.......

No, I am not joking.

Quote:
there are PC games and board games about killing eachother, and you seriously go off telling me i cant make a funny game about the PC game that (many kids play themselvs actuelly) about bully?

Bullying is real.

Quote:
FYI my game does not focus 100% on bullying, its about people getting grades for victory points. I dont think you know what this game is about. Go check it on youtube. FYI this board game wont be for small kids. ID set the age up to 16 years old IF you dont like bullying, turn your attention to games that is about bullying for 13 year olds..

School Fights
A Slingshot
Property Vandalism
Multiple 'wedgies'
Lockering
Threats

__
I've said my peace - continue your quest for art tools, but please consider your message.

This topic is not about how we should prevent Bullying, This is a board game topic. I never said i like bullying nor did i say this game is for kids. So stop trolling, if you dont like the subject, you dont have to comment. Simple as that. If you want to prevent bullying, go somehwere else where your time is most needed. THIS is a board game topic. There are worse board game ideas for kids out there where it shows violence. Even PC games. So stop with the butthurt please, as if you woke up last night and see the world for what it is. Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools
Toc13 wrote:
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
Each faction will have their member cards. That shows streangth and special ability and health. What simulation works best for this type of fight in game, dice or just numbers? what do you guys think?

I'm thinking multi-use cards.
You can use them in normal time to improve your grades, as bonus items providing extra stats, a small permanent skill bonus etc, etc. They would be added to a player board & stay there.
Also could be used to influence group/faction standings relative to each other- much the same as you can adjust the civilisations in Utopia
During any conflicts, they can be played & discarded to boost skills above your base. Better numbers when used this way but only a one-shot

Just so you all are aware, this is a homemade project. Not official in any case. Only Fan-made for now.

This game will be about 4 bully factions, where they bully eachother. OR bully some of the non cliques to cheat at school or to get random stuff (Neutral card deck with goodies). Bully rampage wont be so easy, since we got Prefects who can HALT the process and place your pawn at detention in School office for the entire game round. While the game states ''Bully'' the main objective would be to do actuelly good at school. When the game ends, the faction with the most victory point, Wins the game. But in order to prevent players from say ''Moving'' or doing some actions, players may bully eachother by fighting or pull a wedgie, stuff like that...Also there will be Prefects that catch any bad activity going on school ground. IF one of the players pawns gets captured, the pawn will be placed at the detention untill released next round. There will be more to all of this. I want there to be a purpose other than fighting. Perhaps calling support from a Homeless drunk who can distract a prefect to other location? [Gamecard Homesless Drunk] Woop woop.

For example: To do well at school, you have to be smart as they say, So when players pawns go to Sports, Math/Lab/English lessons, they have to throw the ''Smarty pants'' Dice. Each faction got their unit cards. For example Nerds have 4 dice to use to score sucsess in Learning.

Factions:

-Nerds are smartest in the game, so they do well in school when they do tests. But they are not good at fighting, bullying or sport. They got good weapons such as smoke bombs, Yardstick or Ultra SpudRifle. They got low health but high knowledge

Jocks are good at sports, but they do not do good at school. They have high streangth and health. They also got diffrent sort of weapons to use per round. Such as baseball bats or American football for projectiles. Most of them are great at wrestling, Tackle and brute fighting.

Prepps are somewhat good at school but they are better at sports.(sort of a neutral faction when it comes to learning and fighting skill) They use Eggs as projectiles and cricket bat for melee. But most of them are good at Boxing with special moves.

Greasers are good at Sports but dont do well at school learning. They have Bikes at the start of the game though. And they got slingshot as a weapon. They are good at fighting, Karate kicks and such.

Prefects: Players may move Prefects in BullworthSchool to harras players. When prefects are present, players may NOT do any bad activity. They may however throw a smokebomb to escape a prefect out of sight. More ot that will come later...

I have not come this far yet, this is just a loose example of what i had in mind. Id like to add comical theme to it aswell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
This topic is not about how we should prevent Bullying, This is a board game topic. I never said i like bullying nor did i say this game is for kids. So stop trolling, if you dont like the subject, you dont have to comment. Simple as that. If you want to prevent bullying, go somehwere else where your time is most needed. THIS is a board game topic. There are worse board game ideas for kids out there where it shows violence. Even PC games. So stop with the butthurt please, as if you woke up last night and see the world for what it is. Lol

It's not trolling to say "Your idea is not a good one." or even "I find your idea distasteful." For someone who tells people not to get "butthurt," you're sure reacting strongly.

Just take the comment, and mine frankly, as the genuine thought that you would be better served (and serve the gaming community better) to pursue another theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

LongSchlongSilver wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Are you joking?.......

No, I am not joking.

Quote:

Bullying is real.

Quote:

School Fights
A Slingshot
Property Vandalism
Multiple 'wedgies'
Lockering
Threats

__

With this reaction, you're not likely to attract much support. As a new user, you may not be aware of the site's rules. You owe it to yourself and the rest of us to familiarize yourself with them. This is a very positive and supportive community if you treat it with respect.

https://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules

As a human being, you should be well aware that this is a disrespectful way to address someone who has presented you with a respectful and thoughtful opinion. There is no excuse for this.

Thumbing your own posts isn't going to fool anyone into thinking you've actually got more support than you have, and is not considered a useful behaviour here.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
DeliveranceTheGame.com
badge
The battle between Heaven & Hell will soon be waged at your table. Deliverance is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
LongSchlongSilver wrote:

It's not trolling to say "Your idea is not a good one." or even "I find your idea distasteful." For someone who tells people not to get "butthurt," you're sure reacting strongly.

Just take the comment, and mine frankly, as the genuine thought that you would be better served (and serve the gaming community better) to pursue another theme.

Also his chosen name is "LongSchlongSilver" -- 'nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was bullied in school but find no problem with this theme...and people should consider whether it appears the OP is being bullied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools
[/q]

With this reaction, you're not likely to attract much support. As a new user, you may not be aware of the site's rules. You owe it to yourself and the rest of us to familiarize yourself with them. This is a very positive and supportive community if you treat it with respect.

https://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules

As a human being, you should be well aware that this is a disrespectful way to address someone who has presented you with a respectful and thoughtful opinion. There is no excuse for this.

Thumbing your own posts isn't going to fool anyone into thinking you've actually got more support than you have, and is not considered a useful behaviour here.

Good luck.

[/q]

Since when is it alowed to express an opinion in a disrespectful way? What blows my mind is that you actuelly defend someone who is started the shit over a BOARD GAME. Why my idea gets bashed an not other boardgames or pc games that represent vilence? why are we even talk about this here? this a fucking board game topic. He preaches out that my game is Bully material when in reality there are ALOT of other games that show more bloody violence for kid out there. So why the fuck am i the one whos targeted and should take shit from someone like you or him? if he doesnt like it, dont type anything. Nobody forces YOU or HIM to comment.

And please.. dont use your rules as an excuse to stamp me as the ''BAD GUY'' here. Shuve them back where you took em. Go bother somebody else Looser

This is about a Board Game project. Not a discussion about ''Bully'' issue at schools. You two keep bashing the thread for nothing. Expect the shit right back at your ass if you start it yourself.

Ow and i dont thumb my own comments. Nice of you to make 10 accounts to like your own comments though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools
Lowenhigh wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
LongSchlongSilver wrote:

Also his chosen name is "LongSchlongSilver" -- 'nuff said.

So what? you chosen an avatar that does not represent you at all. Nuff said about Internet and the ones who get salty over names? I can be calld names and still be right about anything. My nickname has humor. Not for everyone i see as most get butthurt over it well, welcome to the internet. Scrub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Sweden
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:
LongSchlongSilver wrote:

Me reacting strongly? Lmao, scrub take a fucking look who keeps racting to my thread. Some of the people who get actuelly butthurt over a simple theme of a fucking board game. Im still making this fan based game by the way sorry to piss on your bonfires.... and you saltys can go fuck yourselves World does not evolve around people like you. Thank you for you disrepctful opinions and time. Lol. but i dont care about them. (byronczimmer)Go help that guy arming American school teacehers with guns by the way. You two will get along pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
At the lower left hand corner of each post is a green thumb icon which turns grey if you've already thumbed that post. When you click on the green number beside it, it shows you who thumbed it. You can click on the grey thumb if you want to unthumb it.

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
World does not evolve around people like you. Thank you for you disrepctful opinions and time. Lol. but i dont care about them.

The world certainly doesn't, but BGG does revolve around its users, and we don't generally welcome behavior like yours. Communities are shared spaces that work together to decide how to act. It's too bad you aren't able to look around and gauge how to interact with others appropriately.

LongSchlongSilver wrote:
Ow and i dont thumb my own comments. Nice of you to make 10 accounts to like your own comments though.

As the previous poster indicated, when you click the number by the thumb, you can see who liked it. It displays like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LongSchlongSilver wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Are you joking?.......there are PC games and board games about killing eachother, and you seriously go off telling me i cant make a funny game about the PC game that (many kids play themselvs actuelly) about bully? FYI my game does not focus 100% on bullying, its about people getting grades for victory points. I dont think you know what this game is about. Go check it on youtube. FYI this board game wont be for small kids. ID set the age up to 16 years old IF you dont like bullying, turn your attention to games that is about bullying for 13 year olds..

Magnus, Take a breath man. Take a deep breath. Read his post again. Be a bit rational. He just asked if you could make the theme something else and gave a reason. he never said you can't make it, he just asked if you could theme it something else.

That said people are not going to LIKE this theme. If you go back to when Bully (the video game) was first release, people thought it was going to be a game about being a bully and bullying other people. Especially since it was made by Rockstar - the guys and girls who made Grand Theft Auto. Then Jack Thompson - "Savior of all things righteous and proper" - was going out of his way to try to get the game banned before its release. Saying bullying in schools would go up and Rockstar would be to blame.

Except...the game came out.

The game wasn't about bullying at all. It was about being bullied and working your way around the school.

Bullying didn't go up. The game I think did just ok (we never did see a sequel.)

As a game designer - you have to realize, people will Love, Like, or Hate your game. For whatever reason. so take a chill pill and realize, he's not trying to tell you to NOT do this, just to theme it something else. If that's not what you want to do, thats fine - but take a step back and look at the other reason why he didn't want you to create something that might encourage bullying.

A lot of people use games as a form of escape, and some may just not want to live through something like bullying - even though from the sound of your game design, it doesn't seem like there may even be something like that. It sounds more like a game with dice mechanics and who knows what else.

Otherwise your stay here at BGG is going to be a short one, even if you're just trying to learn how to make a board game.

Oh and try the program Gimp. Its free and its similar to Photoshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.