Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been a hit in our household, but we are very inexperienced players. We have bought one copy of the game and all four expansions. But we are very green when it comes to deck-building. Indeed, I'd say that possibly the majority of the household have no real interest in deck building.

Some will no doubt tell me that we are missing a huge part of the game, but I thought I'd save time by being up front. Indeed, a couple of times we have tried the deck-building thing the deck building element took longer than the game.

So, the question becomes: is there a way of building 6 reasonably evenly balanced decks for each of the 6 warbands from the cards that we have available? We would like to have these set up and 'good to go' so we can grab a quick 30-40 minute game from time to time. There are a ton of cards and searching through them all is a bit...

I saw that there are some suggested decks over on the GW site. However, as soon as I got onto the second warband, it became clear that some cards were very popular and I did not have enough in my decks to cover 6 pre-built and ready-to-go sets.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to one of the biggest issues concerning this amazing game! I too don't have a strong deck building sense and was hoping for enough cards to make balanced pre built decks to have when friends come over. Sadly the basic quality of life cards are only in the base set and then scattered among the other expansions.Some of us have been putting a bug in GW's ear by calling them and asking customer service to pass along the word that we would love to be able to purchase the cards separately so we can have fair decks for all the warbands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always build the decks using only the particular war bands cards. I believe each warband has 12 objectives and almost 20 ploy cards specific to their faction.

Granted these decks probably won’t play very well, but at least they will be balanced compatible to each other & thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
acefury wrote:
You could always build the decks using only the particular war bands cards. I believe each warband has 12 objectives and almost 20 ploy cards specific to their faction.

Granted these decks probably won’t play very well, but at least they will be balanced compatible to each other & thematic.

This is also what I would recommend. After testing your 'faction' decks out a bit, if one or more of the decks absolutely, desperately needs a card or two from among the neutrals then go ahead and stick them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you checked this?

https://warhammerunderworlds.com/deck-guides/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:

Awesome! They finally added the 2 newest faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sort of wish GW would create/advertise a baseline "learning deck" for each faction that they consider at least reasonably balanced. I wouldn't mind having to purchase multiple core sets. Both of my gaming groups want to play this more, but for us the deck building is actually getting in the way for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:

Yes. As I mentioned in my post, you cannot build 6 decks from these suggestions since you need multiple copies of some of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Moutain
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only suggestion to help you organize the cards is to buy some clear card sleeves. Then take a permanent fine point marker and mark the bottom corner of the power/objective card. This will allow you to sort through the deck faster as you search for the universal and faction specific cards for selected warband.

The gw website has suggested card decks to use if you want to start from there. (Posted already)

Below is a thread created by someone else with starter decks to use for most warbands.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1886233/starter-decks-all-w...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoeche
Germany
Duesseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are not playing official tournaments, just copy the cards you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Moutain
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaesh wrote:
As long as you are not playing official tournaments, just copy the cards you already have.
j

This is a good idea, if you are on budget and not playing in touranments. But then you would need to sleeve the photocopies so players will not know immediately what cards they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoeche
Germany
Duesseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Wanderer wrote:
Zaesh wrote:
j

This is a good idea, if you are on budget and not playing in touranments. But then you would need to sleeve the photocopies so players will not know immediately what cards they have.

Yes sleeving the cards is the best solution for long term protection anyway. And you can put an old magic card or similar as backing to your copied cards, so they feel the same and are easier to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goemon12677 wrote:
Some of us have been putting a bug in GW's ear by calling them and asking customer service to pass along the word that we would love to be able to purchase the cards separately so we can have fair decks for all the warbands.

I don't see this ever happening.

GW want you to buy minis, that's their one purpose. Everything they do - all the games, books, rulesets etc are just vectors for them to try to sell you more models
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoeche
Germany
Duesseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoyrexJ9 wrote:
Goemon12677 wrote:
Some of us have been putting a bug in GW's ear by calling them and asking customer service to pass along the word that we would love to be able to purchase the cards separately so we can have fair decks for all the warbands.

I don't see this ever happening.

GW want you to buy minis, that's their one purpose. Everything they do - all the games, books, rulesets etc are just vectors for them to try to sell you more models

This, they even said this explicitly at the shareholders meeting in 2015 (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.