Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Valor & Victory» Forums » General

Subject: D-Day -- June 6, 2018... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I set a personal deadline of this week (the first week of March) to make an announcement, but it's not quite the announcement I wanted to make... or, more precisely, *show* you. I AM working on new stuff. Yep, for real, and I wanted to make the big announcement with six maps. I'm running almost a week behind, but I wanted to stick to my original deadline for the announcement.

I've decided to make the first D+1 release the Western Front boxed set, not just a British/German/Sword Beach/Normandy release. My goal is to have it out by D-Day, June 6, and it will also include the full US (Western Front) OBA. There will be at least nine maps, maybe 12, and hopefully eight or more scenarios.

Next week I'll finish the sixth map, and I'll take a picture of all six laid out on the table. After that, I want to finish a map every week or so while I'm outlining and working on scenarios. Hopefully I'll have all maps and scenarios worked out by mid-April, and I'll spend the rest of April and May playtesting and finalizing components.

For now, here's a teaser of the first five maps:



After next week I'll try to post updates, in this thread, about every two weeks.
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be the first to say that we've been looking forward to something like this, Barry!Thanks for all the hard work over the years on this!

P.S.: Even though the original releases were free, this is a product I'd pay to download from WarGame Vault for sure!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Barry!

Just a point of clarification please ... when you say that you will be releasing a "boxed set" how will that work? Will it be Print & Play downloads off BGG or is the boxed set going to be offered for sale somewhere?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
10010110 wrote:
Thank you Barry!

Just a point of clarification please ... when you say that you will be releasing a "boxed set" how will that work? Will it be Print & Play downloads off BGG or is the boxed set going to be offered for sale somewhere?



You guys are very welcome. It's been a long time coming, and I'm looking forward to working on all the new releases.

I'll refer to the new releases as "boxed sets" because they'll be complete games, as opposed to just random map or unit releases.

Each set will be available for download from WargameVault, so they won't be free, but I'll make them really affordable (for what you get). Printed copies should also be available from Print & Play Productions, if Andrew wants to add it to his catalog. If he doesn't I'm prepared to offer the service.

There will be a PNP box in the download, and I'll provide instructions on how to assemble it for those who wish to do their own.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:

I'll refer to the new releases as "boxed sets" because they'll be complete games, as opposed to just random map or unit releases.

Each set will be available for download from WargameVault, so they won't be free, but I'll make them really affordable (for what you get). Printed copies should also be available from Print & Play Productions, if Andrew wants to add it to his catalog. If he doesn't I'm prepared to offer the service.

There will be a PNP box in the download, and I'll provide instructions on how to assemble it for those who wish to do their own.


Making the game available on Wargaming Vault, and Print & Play Productions, is a great idea. I will gladly pay for the new game.

As it is I recently ordered a full set of the current V&V game from Print & Play Productions. Thank you for allowing them to restock it once again.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic news Barry! I am particularly excited that it is covering the Americans as well! My original copy of V&V was from Print and Play Productions. They do wonderful work and would be glad to purchase this new set through them. WONDERFUL NEWS!! Looking forward to some new content thumbsup

Welcome Back
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Mouchard
France
Seine et Marne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello Mister Barry,

For a good new, it's a very GOOD NEW !
Thank you.
I will start counting the days before the fateful date.

Jacques
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BOOM BABY! YEAH!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb

WargameVault is becoming my go-to game store. Table Air Combat, Infamous Traffic, Table Battles, now this.

Looking forward to the new package. Are there smaller scenarios within, or should I plan a weekend?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Looking forward to the new package. Are there smaller scenarios within, or should I plan a weekend?



Thanks, Sag. There will be smaller, one- and two-map scenarios, as well as a couple of larger battles. I'd still like to do a Sword Beach campaign game, but that'll have to come later on as a separate release.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Barry is here now in full swing again!

Very excited to see your new work and happy to playtest anything you need! Cannot promise I will have an opponent, but I can do some "simulating" for both sides to see the results for possible tweaking
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
10010110 wrote:
Thank you Barry!

Just a point of clarification please ... when you say that you will be releasing a "boxed set" how will that work? Will it be Print & Play downloads off BGG or is the boxed set going to be offered for sale somewhere?



You guys are very welcome. It's been a long time coming, and I'm looking forward to working on all the new releases.

I'll refer to the new releases as "boxed sets" because they'll be complete games, as opposed to just random map or unit releases.

Each set will be available for download from WargameVault, so they won't be free, but I'll make them really affordable (for what you get). Printed copies should also be available from Print & Play Productions, if Andrew wants to add it to his catalog. If he doesn't I'm prepared to offer the service.

There will be a PNP box in the download, and I'll provide instructions on how to assemble it for those who wish to do their own.


That sounds fair enough, I'd be happy to purchase the game through WargameVault. The preview of the maps looks great Barry, looking forward to the release!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright folks, here's the first map preview, as promised:



None of the maps are final, so small details may change as I start playtesting. What you see here is a fairly large chunk of real estate -- about 34" square. I'll have another update in a week or two, but it'll probably be closer to two weeks.
15 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in here, we would love to produce these!

Barry and I will coordinate to get you all a solid product, looking forward to updating my own copy as well!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Just to chime in here, we would love to produce these!


+1

As it is I have a Full Set of the original V&V enroute to me now from Andrew's company. I would like the D-day set too when it is released.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making good progress this week, and getting pretty excited about how things are coming together. I should definitely be able to start working up scenarios and playtesting by April.

Here's a couple of new images, in the first I'm preparing to punch a counter sheet with the die cutter, and a finished stack of counter sheets for playtesting in the second.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Craner
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
What Die cutter are you using to punch the sheets with Barry?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one Barry!
Eager to see what new counters/changes you introduced since the last set...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lancecraner wrote:
What Die cutter are you using to punch the sheets with Barry?


Accucut's GrandeMark 2, and so far it has worked very nicely. I don't really have any complaints with it, but if I had it to do over again I *might* consider the Ellison Prestige Pro over this one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
lancecraner wrote:
What Die cutter are you using to punch the sheets with Barry?


Accucut's GrandeMark 2, and so far it has worked very nicely. I don't really have any complaints with it, but if I had it to do over again I *might* consider the Ellison Prestige Pro over this one.


Since it punches straight down, would it actually be able to punch through anything thicker than heavy paper?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Since it punches straight down, would it actually be able to punch through anything thicker than heavy paper?


That I'm not sure about, but I was assuming it could at least do chipboard. It may not, though, and that would be a reason not to get it.

I like the fact it punches straight down, as the roller cutters have a tendency to stretch (or push) the paper a little as it goes through the process -- even with the registration pins on the die. It's not all that much of an issue, though, and especially not enough to sacrifice cutting strength.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Since it punches straight down, would it actually be able to punch through anything thicker than heavy paper?


That I'm not sure about, but I was assuming it could at least do chipboard. It may not, though, and that would be a reason not to get it.

I like the fact it punches straight down, as the roller cutters have a tendency to stretch (or push) the paper a little as it goes through the process -- even with the registration pins on the die. It's not all that much of an issue, though, and especially not enough to sacrifice cutting strength.


Since you are doing the entire sheet at once, you would need enough pressure to cut it all at the same time. I was looking at a die press that applied 15 Tons of pressure, and it was not enough pressure to actually cut out a counter sheet of chipboard with that many linear inches of steel rule.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Since you are doing the entire sheet at once, you would need enough pressure to cut it all at the same time. I was looking at a die press that applied 15 Tons of pressure, and it was not enough pressure to actually cut out a counter sheet of chipboard with that many linear inches of steel rule.


I've watched a video of someone cutting with large dies on the Prestige Pro, and you have to move the die through and do multiple presses. The manual lists that it'll cut chipboard (or about 6 sheets of card/cover stock at once) with their SureCut dies, but -- again -- I'm not sure since I haven't used it. I have seen other threads on BGG of folks using the Ellison, but I'm not sure what they're cutting.

The GrandeMark does a fine job -- good enough for me, anyways.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A small update for you guys this week, but it was a LOT of fun for me...

I took a wee break from the monotony of map making to focus on another component -- the box! I like to have as many of the physical components completed, or nearly completed, by the time I get to scenario design, and that allows me to focus solely on research, writing and playtesting.

I also got a new printer this week and wanted to test a variety of materials in different sizes, to work out performance, settings (especially for colors), etc. Man, am I thrilled! If any of you ever need/want to purchase a new inkjet, make sure you look into Epson's new EcoTank printers. THIS is how inkjet printing should have been all along (commercial printers have ink tanks, why not personal?) -- you're no longer a slave to those expensive cartridges that are empty before you know it!

Anyways, here's the new box wrap, front AND back! Next week, when I show a new map or two, I'll also upload a pic of the assembled box.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb

Wow, that's amazing.

Is that a cardstock dice tower that I see in the upper left?

If so is it your own design or purchased from someplace?

Thanks.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.