Dersu' Salazar
Italy
flag msg tools
First of all, I only have the Base Game. I haven't played and enjoyed enough to take ANY expansion yet, however I've been watching some playthroughs and I couldn't not realize some updates in many cards, one of these are the Utem Guardsmen. Let's analyze the stronger effect:

Utem Guardsmen (BG): Block 4. An enemy blocked this way loses Swiftness.
You can combine Block Points to exploit the effect and laugh at Werewolfs (and another annoying creatures yuk )

Utem Guardsmen (LL): Block 4. Counts twice against an attack with Swiftness.
Ok, here comes my doubt. At paper, it seems the card of the Base Game is better than the updated one (english is not my native language).

Still, with LL card, you can combine Block points in the way to count them twice to block such ability? If yes, what's the point changing the text? If not, then the BG card would be the best card to choose (even if anybody is free to use whatever he/she wishes). Am I right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game card is better.
Quote:

Utem Guardsmen and Altem Guardians block abilities needed
to be reworded because some enemies now have more than
one attack, it was not right that blocking one of these attacks
caused the enemy to lose Swiftness. Also, the effect of their
block against swift enemies was reduced a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards got tweaked in the expansion because they were to strong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dersu' Salazar
Italy
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
The base game card is better.
Quote:

Utem Guardsmen and Altem Guardians block abilities needed
to be reworded because some enemies now have more than
one attack, it was not right that blocking one of these attacks
caused the enemy to lose Swiftness. Also, the effect of their
block against swift enemies was reduced a bit.

Jack Spirio wrote:
Some cards got tweaked in the expansion because they were to strong

I see. Yeah, I noticed the double-attacking enemies too but didn't think about all these details. Alright, makes sense thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakeSeawood wrote:
Still, with LL card, you can combine Block points in the way to count them twice to block such ability? If yes, what's the point changing the text? If not, then the BG card would be the best card to choose (even if anybody is free to use whatever he/she wishes).

To be sure, with the Lost Legion version, the Guardsmen do not make other blocks count double to Swiftness. So the Base Game version is better.

I'm not sure what you mean by the best card to chooose. If you mix in the Lost Legion expansion, assuming you go by the rules, you have to replace the original Guardsmen with the new one. There are other cards that were reduced in power, such as Horn of Wrath, and you are not supposed to choose which one to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This could also affect the new arcan immunity enemies, so by changing ultem they already prevent any more confliciting situation with arcane immune enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.