Next War: Korea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tactical Surprise Scenario, Reinforcements Beyond Turn 16 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what the reason was for not including a list of allied reinforcements that would arrive beyond GT16. Was it simply that, in the vast majority of cases, the game would be over shortly thereafter?

Any recommendations on extending that out a few more turns?

I'm playing a tactical surprise scenario, with Pusan nuked, and chose to leave China out of the fight completely, just to see how it would go. I just finished GT 18 and still have some reinforcements scheduled to arrive at the end of GT19. (Storms and the effects of a nuked Pusan caused a few delays along the way.) But nothing after that.

I will probably have to limit the game to about 3 more turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 8 US Divisions represented in NW:K. There are currently 11 Active Army Divisions. The three remaining divisions would most likely not be deployed so as to be kept in reserve in case something else popped up somewhere else in the world and also to defend the homeland.

As for the South Korean units, I am sure all of those are represented/modeled in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Satorre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to commit the commonwealth forces and some European forces (if you have NWP or NWIP). I would also suggest reconstituting some of the US armored units as the 1st Armored division (they are currently not in the game). You could also start reconstituting Marines and day that the 4th MEF arrived.

Current US Army ACTIVE OOB
1st Infantry Division
2nd Infantry Division (PA)
3rd Infantry Division
4th Infantry Division (EU)
25th Infantry Division (PA)
10th Mountain Divison
82nd Airborne Divison
101st Air Assualt Divison
1st Cavalry Division
1st Armored Divison

2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment (EU)
3rd Stryker Cavalry Regiment
173rd Aibrorne Brigade (EU)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions, all. I appreciate the input.

Due to competing draws on my time, I've been playing this scenario since, I think, July last year in 45-60 minute spurts a few times a week. I'm realizing that if I continue as I have been, playing relatively conservatively, then it's going to take forever (in real time) before the allies can get enough combat power on the peninsula to seize Pyongyang or destroy all the remaining NK forces. It would be a matter of the allies holding some key terrain, like Seoul and Chinnampo, while allied air power worked its magic and while reinforcements could be brought in. And the longer it goes, the more and more artificial China's non-intervention would feel.

So, I'll probably go play out three more turns, which will require me to add really just one more "line" of reinforcements. Line 19 was already determined by the scenario. Line 20 is my house-ruled addition:

19 1/25 BDE and 2/25 BDE from L;
20 Marines from K and M; Naval from M; Supply from K and M; [floatright]Cruise Missiles from K and M;

The arrival of reinforcements got pretty complicated due to: 1) Pusan's nuked status causing heavy units to arrive 1 turn late; 2) storms delaying every unit's arrival; 3) failed arrival roles pushing every subsequent unit's timeline back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.