Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Cylon Leaders (Daybreak) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we occasionally have 4 or 6 players; currently we're using the Mutineer, but we're interested to try Cylon Leaders. They seem interesting and balanced from reading the rules, but is there anything to watch out for? Do they play well?
(Also, is it an entire action when infiltrating to simply move to Galactica?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Re: Cylin Leaders (Daybreak)
possumman wrote:
So we occasionally have 4 or 6 players; currently we're using the Mutineer, but we're interested to try Cylon Leaders. They seem interesting and balanced from reading the rules, but is there anything to watch out for? Do they play well?
They play very well with Daybreak motives, so much better than mutineer. For our group they made the game playable with 4. I'm not that sure about 6 players, it's okay but I think there's too many players in that and Cylon Leader is more at the mercy of others.

Things to watch out for, for those motives that don't say 'Reveal this if the game is over' can be revealed at any time the condition is fulfilled, even if it's not CL's turn.
Quote:
Yes, it's an action in the human fleet location. And since the CL is now 'human' play continues to crisis step which is then resolved in normal manner.

Anyway, try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylon Leader Motives are great.

For strategy: A Cylon Leader should not paint themselves in a corner by playing too much against or too much for the humans before the sleeper phase.

There's less control with 6 players, but that's true for non-CL players too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game balance largely depends on which expansion modules are in play.

I think in general the best way to play Cylon Leaders is to basically play for the humans until (and unless) you need to betray them, as it is much, much easier to switch gears and team up with 2 other Cylons to finish the humans than it is to try and save the humans after you already messed them up

Incidentally, that seems to create the most balanced games as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
So we occasionally have 4 or 6 players; currently we're using the Mutineer, but we're interested to try Cylon Leaders. They seem interesting and balanced from reading the rules, but is there anything to watch out for?

-When playing with Pegasus exp, you're free to use Cavil, Cap6, and Leoben as well, but use only Daybreak Treachery cards
-Loyalty cards are NOT the same thing as Motive cards

-Reiterate to the CL *AND* the other players how the CL wins
-Note to others that the CL also gets 2 extra Motive cards at sleeper, and due to this, he's often going to be NOT anti-human during pre-sleeper

-un-infiltrating does not automatically give you a super crisis card

-I did a whole comparison of CL vs. Mutr. here...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1332459/cl-vs-mutr

-Please post back if your CL got 4 identical Allegiances! Did a thread about that here....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1183343/cl-motives-anyb...

possumman wrote:
Do they play well?
For the most part, yes. The combination of "14 choose 2, then choose 2 more" does create enough combinations to not make things so obvious. However, vets have managed to memorize them, and in some games, predict what the CL is trying to go for, even if it is harder to do.

You'll also more unusual cases where the CL has a 50/50 split of Human and Cylon Allegiances, and IS in the situation to go either way. This let's the CL play kingmaker, and creates a new level of politics, but it has been interesting in it's own right, if not "balanced"

possumman wrote:
Yes. The Human Fleet location.

While we're at it, UN-infiltrating is also an action, but on your Infiltration "title"/"status" card. Note that uninfiltrating is NOT the same thing as a cylon revealing! You do NOT automatically get a super crisis card upon doing so! You'll need to use the Res. Ship location to obtain a SCC.

Or, you can trick someone into executing you (Peg. and/or Day exps. only), but you will have to discard your hand of skill cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the thoughts!
We had a 4-player game today, and on the whole we liked it.
My concern is that if the CL decides to team up with the Cylons, then a 2v2 is almost impossible for the humans to win. As soon as sleeper phase hit, our CL had 2 of each alleigance (and had completed 1 of each), and it was much easier for him to destroy the humans than help. Seems like the CL would only help the humans if forced - although that's obviously a sample size of one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
possumman wrote:
Thanks for all the thoughts!
We had a 4-player game today, and on the whole we liked it.
My concern is that if the CL decides to team up with the Cylons, then a 2v2 is almost impossible for the humans to win. As soon as sleeper phase hit, our CL had 2 of each alleigance (and had completed 1 of each), and it was much easier for him to destroy the humans than help. Seems like the CL would only help the humans if forced - although that's obviously a sample size of one game.

Glad you had fun.

In the last game I was cylon leader with 2/2 motives and all fulfilled, I played a bit chaotically and let the game decide which side wins (humans did).

[Edit-caveat: We've played hundreds of games and at this stage some experimental things are ok.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Battlestar Galactica to Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.