Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

This is part of my series of reviews of how games have worked with my children, now aged between 8 and 12. For the full list see: My children's game reviews - children aged between 2 and 12.

Fun Components:

The components aren't particularly special, being wooden cubes of various colours, but the cards are very appealing, being cats of various names and colours, and things like cat toys. The children really liked the cat pictures, and the names are fun. I bought it because of the cat theme, as my daughter really likes cats.

Simplicity of rules:

The rules are very simple - draft either a row or column from the grid, and then action those cards (mostly either taking them and putting them in front of you, or taking food cubes instead). Although it says 13+ on the box, an 8 year old can easily handle these rules. The only tricky bits can be the scoring of some of the cards, but there's nothing that is complicated for an 8 year old.

Randomness:

Although an adult has an advantage, there is enough randomness in the game that they can't guarantee victory every game, and in fact my daughter, 12, has won more games than anyone else, showing that the strategies are simple enough for older children to handle. There are various ways to score, and sometimes different strategies pay off more than others.

Did the children enjoy it?

Although it has been popular, it's not been as bit a hit as some games, and although my 8 year old can play it fine, he's not actually that fond of it, although the older two both enjoy it, so often we play it without him. There isn't that something that makes you want to keep coming back to it over and over again, but having said that it's still a very pleasant little family game.

And how is it from the adult's point of view?

It's quite a pleasant little family drafting game, and quite enjoyable, without, as I said earlier, having that hook that makes you want to play it hundreds of times, but still being a very pleasant experience. It's also a game that works just as well when played with children as adults, and you don't have to play differently because you're playing with a younger age-group, which is always good for a family game. There's something quite appealing about drafting cats, and then trying to feed them and keep them happy with various "extras".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My 5, 7, 9 and 11 year olds played a game last night together. They would give it 5/5 for enjoyment. This game replaces Sushi Go for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Valdez
Guatemala
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review Sharon! We are glad to know that your family is enjoying #CatLady

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.