Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 631 - Octagonal Paper Trail
6 Player All-Expansions Game to Ionian Earth

Welcome to BSG 631. This is a 6-player All-Expansions (P+X+XBC+D-CL) game to Ionian Earth. This game will not include a Cylon Leader.

All this was made possible by ColtsFan76 and he has my undying thanks for that. I will be using the Open Office spreadsheet and GIMP files created by Orphius and completely revamped by jasperhawk and Mawkee. Awesome work, guys. I have also based this opening spiel on IriDiuM94's, so thanks IriDiuM! In addition, I will be using the BSG unified rulebook by jbiatek.

Our crew for this voyage, and their starting titles, will be added here:

ianwright as Lee Adama,
the Mutineer

Tooner623 as Felix Gaeta,
Admiral of the Colonial Fleet

Fragzer as Callandra "Cally" Tyrol
otheym6 as Samuel T. Anders
Mr T 1977 as Gaius Baltar,
President of the Twelve Colonies

Moogle as Sharon "Boomer" Valerii,
Galactica's CAG

For info on PBF see - Tips and Tricks for BSG PBF

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions being used. This is an FFG requirement, and since we're all REALLY grateful they let us do this, we're only too happy to comply with the one condition they set out for us.

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3Use the image banners so we know who you are. If you're on a mobile device and don't want to look up your bannerID, please put your character name at the top of your post.

Courtesy of marlus, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Quote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publicly, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Subscribe to the thread! I expect that you will be able to check in at least twice a day, preferably at regular intervals. If over 24 hours have elapsed and you haven't responded when it's your turn to act, I'll start bumping the thread. This is not a warning, just a gentle reminder that it's your turn to act, in case you missed the subscription or something. At 36+ hours, I'll start poking you via GM to make sure you're still there, and after that I'll start giving out warnings. Repeated warnings will see me seeking a replacement player. Everyone hates waiting for someone every turn, don't be 'that guy'!

Of course, sometimes that annoying little thing called Real Life interferes with your ability to play, and that's totally OK. All I ask if you are having a really hectic time is that you try to find a couple of minutes to either post in the thread or GM me saying "Hey, sorry but I'm really busy right now, won't be able to check the game today/tomorrow/this week/whatever". That way we're not all left hanging wondering what's happened to you. If you need more than a couple of days away from the game, or will have an extended period of slow play, I might try to find a temporary player to replace you until you return. If you're travelling or something and you'll only be able to check in sporadically for a few days, just let us know.

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. Don't worry - if I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately, I'm not interested in trying to play "gotcha" by executing a CO that clearly didn't account for something.

d10-7This one's important: Please send all your GMs to me with the subject line "[BSG 631] <Character Name> - [Mail Subject]". EG, "[BSG 631] Starbuck - CO for OPG usage". If I get a mail with vague subjects, it's just more work for everyone.

d10-8I like to make my board images after the current player has received their cards for their draw step, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. If you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-9Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO outside of character choices (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad". I will allow one colour draw recommendation in the case of Captain's Cabin recommendations - but only one.
* Identifying which cards/colours you played into a skillcheck
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion. Remember that doesn't mean you can name every card in your hand under the guise of "deciding what to do".

d10-1d10-0 Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread. Say what you think happened in your own words.

d10-1d10-1 We will be following the Official FAQ and Unofficial FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ), but we will be ignoring the ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose whether he or she chose the top destination. When a player chooses from the top two cards of a deck it is secret which card was chosen.

d10-1d10-2 We will be using the BSG Unified Rulebook by jbiatek. This link will be configured with the options for this game - note that we are playing Ionian Earth, so the only difference to this setup is the Crossroads happens at Distance 10, not 8. It makes it easier for people to check the official rules on a mobile basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I find this gets glossed over too much if it's in the opening post, so I am moving it to a separate post

I will assume that each player has the following standing COs. Please send me a GM when you'd like to act otherwise.

* Pass on Declare Emergency and Change of Plans

* Pass on Strategic Planning for attacks against Raiders (including via Maximum Firepower, on a Launch Scout if there's more than one raptor remaining in the reserves, and all attacks by Cylon ships.

* Pass on Calculations. I will not be pausing every time there is an opportunity to use one, so you'll need to have your COs readily updated. I know that's a bit of a pain, but otherwise I'll be forever pausing the game. Generally speaking, there's usually a token put around before any important rolls looking for Strategic Planning, so that gives time for a CO for Calculations. The exception to this is if there is a Maximum Firepower played - I will appeal for Calculations if any attack in the set misses by one.

* Pass on most Character Abilities - I'll work this out in private with individual players after character selection.

* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers that aren't the last one protecting a civilian ship, unless the viper would be destroyed

* Pass on anything that would be a clear soft-reveal (e.g., Evasive Maneuvers to re-roll a shot that missed)

* Assault Raptors, whether manned or unmanned, will be left in space when the fleet jumps. For Piloted Assault Raptors, the pilots should let me know before the Admiral chooses the destination if they wish to land.

* If everybody else has responded to an interrupt and you haven't, and you don't have the cards in question, I may pretend you sent me a pass CO, in order to get keep the game moving. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time. Please note that I will not always do this, to add to the uncertainty.

* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is soonest.

House Rules

1) Helena Cain's Miracle ability will be a true blind jump. Before the ability takes effect, the top Destination will be buried. If Pilot Helo is also in the game, the top 2 Destinations will be buried instead.

2) 30 non-Cylon Attack crises will be randomly removed from the deck to balance it, if we are not using the Cylon Fleet Board. Not required, as we are using the Cylon Fleet option.

2} If you wish to suggest colours to draw for a scouted mission or crisis, you may suggest one colour to draw. This may only be done once per scouted card.

3) We will be ignoring the FAQ's ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose if they chose the top destination card on a jump.

4) Cylon Leaders are not available.

5) Ship Damage will be assigned randomly from a pool containing both Battlestar damage tokens. Players will not select which ship takes the hit (rather than choosing which Battlestar is damaged).

6) Personal Goals will grant a bonus action when revealing one, thus making them 'free' to reveal.

7) The "The Trial / Boxing the Line" step of the Crossroads phase has been modified to simply execute characters rather than eliminating players. In addition, if a Cylon (hidden or revealed) is executed in this manner, they are forced to pick a new character, and Morale is increased by 1. The full text of the step is detailed in the quote box.
Alternate Elimination Rules wrote:

THE TRIAL / BOXING THE LINE

1. Remove all Crossroads cards and the Trauma used on them from the game. Remove all Ally cards and tokens, the Trauma attached to them, and Trauma attached to locations from the game.
2. Each player reveals their Trauma hand. Human players discard all of their "Benevolent" tokens, Cylon players discard all of their "Antagonistic" tokens.
3. Each player discards two Trauma tokens.
4. If all players have 0 Trauma, nobody is executed.
5. If one or more players has Trauma remaining, the player with the most Trauma is executed.
6. Remove all remaining Trauma from the game.

* If any human players are tied for most Trauma, the President chooses one of those players to be executed.

* If any Cylon players are tied for most Trauma, all of those players are executed.

* If there is a tie between humans and Cylons for most trauma, follow both rules: all tied Cylon players are executed and the President chooses (if necessary) which tied human to execute.

* If a Cylon player or hidden Cylon would be executed via Boxing, they follow the normal procedure for finishing a Cylon execution, but must also choose a new character before being moved to the Resurrection Ship. They do not draw a Super Crisis card, and Morale increases by 1.

8) The Ionian Earth variant Objective card will be used. The text for this card is in the quote box below.
Ionian Earth wrote:
Ionian Earth
Resolve when the following distance is travelled:
4: Sleeper Agent phase.
10: Crossroads phase. The next time the fleet jumps, the humans win the game.

Game Options
The use of the Final Five, Personal Goals and the Cylon Fleet Board will be put to a vote.

Final Five, Personal Goals and the Cylon Fleet will be used in this game.

--------------------------------

Invitations are from the waiting list as usual. The first six are the primary invitees, and have 24 hours to reserve their spot. I believe 24 hours is plenty of time to check in, and if you can't check in for this within that time, I don't like your chances of checking into the rest of the game in a timely fashion. Those who do not respond, either positively or negatively, will receive an asterisk as per the usual waiting list rules.

The rest of the invitees are alternates - if any of the primary invitees decline or time out, the alternates will be included in the game instead. It's first-come, first-serve for alternates. The first to check in will be the first to be offered a spot if its available.

Inviting:

Primaries:

Moogle - IN
otheym6 - IN
Tooner623 - IN
Arkest - No Response
ianwright - IN
Vitezslav - No Response

Alternates:

TerminusEst - No Response
Asahi - Decline
Penguinton - Decline
Sigfurd - No Response
thegrayone - Not Required
Mr T 1977 - IN
Fragzer - IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Destination for this game will be either Ionian Nebula, Ionian Earth, or Earth.

If Earth is chosen, I intend to offer the ability to play the Allies for All Seasons variant, which adds Allies and Trauma to non-IN games. The rules for this can be found here: Allies for All Seasons. Unfortunately I got this variant confused with Ionian Earth, another similar variant, but only one is supported in the BSGBF mod sheet - Unfortunately, I cannot actually offer this (sorry everyone!) but I am offering the Ionian Earth variant objective as a third destination option.

Cylon Leaders will not be available to choose in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george glass
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play BSG again!
Thanks for the invite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip McCabe
msg tools
Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Adding to the proposed variants: Demetrius with IN. Figure it's only fair to include that as an option if I'm proposing Allies with DE. I've seen enough house-ruled-to-frak games in the main BSG list that I figured it's better to offer those as an option rather than create Variant Game V152 and wait a million years for players. (That, and someone else can run Base Only, I'm too unfamiliar with it having played All Expansions for so long)

Otheym and Tooner, welcome! Your spots are reserved.

...also, I just realised I missed the first player on the waiting list, dang... Ah well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there - checking in as an alternate, in csse the spot in 630 falls through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invitation, but I doesn't pwn Daybreak. So I have to pass.
Have a great flight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, checking in, thank you for modding!

I'll also indicate my votes now if you'd like.

1) Not a major fan of Earth or Demetrius' Captain's Cabin, though I understand why they introduced them. A vote for Ionian Nebula.
1.A) If Earth, I would love to try the variant Allies. Yes.
1.B) If IN, I would prefer for Demetrius not to be in.
2.1) PG not in preferred.
2.2) If PG in, bonus action preferred.
3) Final Five in preferred.
4) CAC preferred to CFB.
5) Combined damage rule OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wright
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m in!

Earth with allies sounds fun, and I’m happy with normal IN too. IN with Demetrius sounds way too pro-human though, so I’d vote no to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I will be setting up a vote block once we have our six players (and any other suggested house rules), but it's always good to see the lie of the land.

Moogle, Ian, your spots are reserved.
Thanks Asahi, it was a risk.
Penguin, you're Alternate #1. I'll be keeping an eye on 630, but I think you'll be chosen for it

Still another 4-and-a-bit hours for people to accept. I know I'm being tight on time, but it's the weekend.

Also, I've noticed Arkest has recommended the thread but not actually posted... odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just noticed that I stated Allies for All Seasons. This isn't supported in the mod sheet, what I was thinking about was the "Ionian Earth" unofficial variant objective, which is Ionian Nebula plus Demetrius, and the Crossroads phase happens at Distance 10, not 8.

Objective: Ionian Earth

So I'm sorry, I'm going to have to pull the Allies for All Seasons variant, but replacing it with Ionian Earth as an optional destination. I do not know why I was so convinced AfAS was natively supported, but it isn't. I can only apologise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

24 hours has now elapsed. Otheym6, you're on the waiting list twice, but you're already here so I'll take you off the end of it.

Non-responders...

Arkest and Vitezslav were primary invitees, and get an asterisk.
TerminusEst and Sigfurd were alternates, and their invite is revoked.

Penguinton, you are currently Alternate #1 although I doubt T-Est will respond to game 630 either. Waiting on GM of 630.

There are two places in game 631 left.

Extending first-come, first-served invites to: thegrayone, Mr T 1977, Fragzer.

Perhaps I should have run Base Only... Just invited the very last player on the list as an alt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george glass
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hypertheorist wrote:

24 hours has now elapsed. Otheym6, you're on the waiting list twice, but you're already here so I'll take you off the end of it.
[/b]

Sorry, I was very eager to play and didn't notice I was on the list twice!

As far as these options go, I haven't played the game enough to know which option means what. I've played Base a few times and Daybreak a couple of times. I have the other two expansions but haven't played them yet, but I'm eager to learn.

Whatever the other players want to play is fine with me. Just let me know what the options mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Weimars
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the invitation.
I would love to play as I have not met most of the players yet. I would prefer no unofficial variants to avoid learning too many new rules. I am OK with Ionian Earth, I just played once and did not finish (humans died too early).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene G
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, thank you for the invite! I am definitely in if you need me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wright
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m fine with Ionian Earth, played it once and it worked well. Can’t remember who won or how far we got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mr T and Fragzer, you are Alternates 2 and 3 respectively - though the way Game 630's recruitment is going, I bet Penguinton will go there instead (they're waiting on an unresponsive primary 48+ hours post-invite, I am a little more merciless), so it's a safe bet you're in

Given the players' reactions, I am choosing to withdraw the option to play Ionian Nebula with Demetrius. 3 explicit preferences against from confirmed players (and I'd cast the tiebreaker against that too) so that's just not going to get voted on.

So, we have seven of our six players (ha!), but to allay Mr T's worries: you can vote against the house rules I have said I will call a vote on (Personal Goal changes and Combined Damage) and vote on destination and options, once I get confirmation on which of Penguinton or Fragzer are playing in this game.

The only unofficial variant I am now proposing is Ionian Earth. The house rules I am proposing are making Personal Goals give a bonus action when revealed via their Action ability, and the shared Battlestar Damage Pool.

The vote for destination will use the CGP Grey Easy Democracy Rules - you can vote Yes or No on all three options, we will go with the highest ranked destination. I will cast the deciding vote in case of a tie: Ionian Earth > Ionian Nebula > Earth is my order of preference.

The votes for the options and house rules will be strict Yes/No, again with me casting a deciding vote in the case of a tie: I always vote Yes.

Now all we need to do is wait on game 630 inevitably taking Penguinton and we will start some time tomorrow (from my perspective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, it does look inevitable at this point. While it's possible that I'm counting my chickens before they hatch and TerminusEst will show up to screw me over, please go ahead with the rest of the other players to avoid holding you all up.

Thanks for the invite and I look forward to playing with you sometime. I'm happy to see PBF so active lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip McCabe
msg tools
Sorry all, was hosting a party this weekend so I've been a bit out of sorts.

Can anyone link the rulesets for Ionian Earth? I'm tempted to vote yes but I just cannot find these rules anywhere. Is it just an Earth game, with trauma and a trial at distance ten?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Basically, you play Earth (including the Demetrius), but with trauma, Allies and the Crossroads (including the Battle and Trial) at Distance 10.

This is the Ionian Earth objective card text:

Ionian Earth

And yes, you're right, the original rules are nigh unfindable. A bunch of fan expansions have used it, the mod sheet has it as a drop-in variant from the Revelations fan expansion that you can use on its own; I've not been able to find it but the card can be read as "Ionian Nebula with Demetrius and Crossroads at Distance 10" or "Earth with Crossroads at Distance 10", depending on your preference.

Penguinton, if you're sure, then have a lovely BYC game to the IN. I did message kingerc earlier but if you want to decline your place then that's fine too. Hope to see you around, either as a player or in one of my future games - that is if BYC doesn't eat them all...

We now have our six! I'll get the vote block done tomorrow morning, but would ask people who have expressed preferences to vote in the poll once it's up. Please note the remarks in my post above concerning the votes and tie breaks.

Also, I will be doing character selection and turn order at the same time as voting is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rolling for turn order...

Moogle 1d10000 = (3209) = 3209
otheym6 1d10000 = (7538) = 7538
Tooner623 1d10000 = (8706) = 8706
ianwright 1d10000 = (8765) = 8765
Mr T 1977 1d10000 = (4369) = 4369
Fragzer 1d10000 = (7642) = 7642

The turn order will be:

d10-1 ianwright
d10-2 Tooner623
d10-3 Fragzer
d10-4 otheym6
d10-5 Mr T 1977
d10-6 Moogle

ianwright, please pick a character. You have free choice: Military Leader, Political Leader, Pilot or Support.

Everyone else, feel free to CO your character choices.

Fragzer specifically, just noticed you're a new user, are you new to PBF and needing a primer, or will you be okay?

(Also, please like this post once you have voted in the poll so I can see who's voted, thanks muchly.)

Poll: BSG 631 Game Options
1. Destination: Would you be okay with playing...
  Yes No
IN: Ionian Nebula
DE: Earth
"Ionian Earth" variant
2. Choose game options from Exodus: Would you be okay with playing with...
  Yes No
XB: Cylon Fleet Board
XP: Personal Goals Loyalty Cards
XF: Final Five Loyalty Cards
3. Choose house rules: Do you approve of...
  Yes No
Personal Goals, if included, giving a bonus action
Shared Damage Pool
      5 answers
Poll created by hypertheorist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1253310. hypertheorist
  • 1d10000 =
  • (3209) =
  • Moogle
  • Mon Mar 5, 2018 9:46 am
  • [+]
  • 1253311. hypertheorist
  • 1d10000 =
  • (7538) =
  • otheym6
  • [+]
  • 1253312. hypertheorist
  • 1d10000 =
  • (8706) =
  • Tooner623
  • [+]
  • 1253313. hypertheorist
  • 1d10000 =
  • (8765) =
  • ianwright
  • [+]
  • 1253314. hypertheorist
  • 1d10000 =
  • (4369) =
  • Mr T 1977
  • [+]
  • 1253315. hypertheorist
  • 1d10000 =
  • (7642) =
  • Fragzer
  • Mon Mar 5, 2018 9:47 am
Ian Wright
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll take Political Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene G
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
hypertheorist wrote:

Fragzer specifically, just noticed you're a new user, are you new to PBF and needing a primer, or will you be okay?

Thanks for asking, I've done quite a few PBF games elsewhere so I know the drill. Have not done Ionian Earth yet, but seems easy enough; if I have questions I'll yell whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ianwright chooses Lee Adama (Lee).

Tooner623, please pick a character. You may choose any Military Leader, Pilot or Support, except Lee "Apollo" Adama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.