Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First - I am playing this game with the Ystari edition, and I'm aware a few cases have "problems", most notably case #3. However I did come prepared, I downloaded the errata files from BGG and I was expecting that the solution for this one is kinda wonky.

Still, there are a few things that dumbfound me. Here is my initial solution:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The culprits are dr. Trevelyan and Loretta. It is pretty obvious Loretta is the actual murderer - she was Guy's lover, he was pretty comfortable with her, and she was an accomplished climber which means she could easily go in and out of his hotel room via vines. The glass of wine is also a giveaway - she and Guy are in bed, or just out of bed, she asks for wine, while he is coming back with it she shoots him, close range, then removes her traces and leaves through the window. She (probably) gets the tiara, too.

Dr. Trevelyan is her accomplice. A skilled hypnotist, he provides a handy alibi. And with Frances out of the picture, they both get the money from Frances and a pricy tiara.

Also, the social burglar were obviously Guy & Loretta. His black clothes, her climbing expertise, it all fits.

The biggest reason why this didn't gel for me was this:

While Loretta didn't really care for Guy much, judging by her reactions after, there wasn't really that many reasons to kill him, too. Him marrying Frances was quite possibly Loretta's and Guy's plan to get her money, so why sabotage it by killing him?

However, this may also be answered simply with dr. Trevelyan actually manipulating Loretta to a much greater extent. He already laid plans to get Frances money, so getting Guy out of the picture suited him, and having Loretta do it for him let him keep his hands clean.

But lo and behold, I read the actual solution and

Trevelyan is the killer. What? WHAT? Why? He is a bloody hypnotist, manipulator, why risk it with getting his hands dirty? Also, while I understood the vines leading to Guy's room were climbable, I didn't get the memo that everyone and their grandma could apparently use those? Why emphasize Loretta's climbing expertise when Trevelyan can suddenly reveal having the same skill all along?

Also.. how exactly did Guy know where the items are? And why emphasize he always picked just a single item? And how did he know when the houses would be empty? One idea is that him and Loretta were very charming at parties, gathering useful info about jewelery and habits but a) this would be pretty idiotic because asking about secret jewelery stashes, not matter how charmingly, would basically advertise "hello, I am that pesky social burglar" to even the dumbest socialite, and b) apparently they weren't really charming as much as they were acting like drunk children, spilling drinks on their future victims just for chuckles. So there goes that theory.

Finally, back to the murder: is the close-range shot really that silent noone heard it? And why didn't anyone, I dunno, look up when they saw ceiling debris on the floor, noticing the second bullet hole? (oh wait, that would hurt the plot). And which clue, exactly, provides any shred of evidenc that Trevelyan is the actual killer?

So yeah.. this case was, to put it mildly, a load of crap. Even the secret "sidequest" case was dumb - practically all the other suspects could have done it with the data that was given. But the main case, even with errata papers, was really, really weak, in my opinion not completely solvable even if you read all the clues in the book.

Here's hoping #4 will be better, or at least as good as #1 and #2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait till you get to Case 5. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan O'Neill
United States
California
flag msg tools
We had quite a hangover from that case. Once you get past the middle ones, though, the rest of the cases— not to mention the next box, is all worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Case 3 is by far the worst.

I did it without the errata (which I would actually recommend, as I remember not enough was really changed in the clues to change the solution), but knowing the original solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dorin mogos
France
flag msg tools
I just finished this case, and we got it pretty right, actually my wife helped me alot to put it all straight.
She sensed that Loretta's problem is mental illness, and that is why she is followed by Dr. T. That wasn't clearly written in any clue, and we did have to actually deduce it from the fact that she survived her parents murder, she was in an institute then under long treatement. However, this doesn't erases her from beeing the brain or the hand. Lacks the motive. Dr. T. made the move to get all the money from Frances and Loretta, he profits from the crime.

What wasn't clear for sure:
Two shots have been shot and only one heard. That's a little unusual and not at all explained by Holmes.

So, yes. For this case you have to have the questions who, why and how at all time in your head, to hear what must be heard from every clue. So I think this is an interresting case
even with that major hole I mentioned.

FYI: I play the space cowboys edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.