9 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Automatic defeat vs Human Shields rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Sorry, tried the search and couldn't find an answer.

I get that Piercing Energy bypasses human shields.

What about thing that give you an auto defeat? Like Nick Fury and Forge's rare cards?

Also, what happens with Uru Enchanted villains who have human shields?
Do you only remove the human shield after you check their changing value?

Or since you're not technically fighting them, so you only need to hit their exact printed attack (until the shields run out)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Defeat ignores/bypasses any Fight restrictions, so you should be able to hit the MM directly.

For the Uru, the rules on Human Shields say you're paying attack points to rescue the bystander, not fighting. Uru kicks in during a fight, so I think you're safe and the attack value doesn't change. That's a weird combo to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools

Thanks, wanted to make sure.

TravelSized wrote:
That's a weird combo to deal with.

I haven't played that, but possible.

If you played Arcade solo with the Mighty, one of his tactics puts human shields on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that must mean that if you used Goblin’s Freakshow you could get Human Shields and Witnesses on the same Villain too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
So that must mean that if you used Goblin’s Freakshow you could get Human Shields and Witnesses on the same Villain too

Yes, it's possible to have both on the same card.

The rules in Xmen makes a reference to it.

Actually now that I think of it, there are all sorts of really weird combination that could occur.

Heralds of Galactus + Human Shields - You can't use the Cosmic to reduce their value. They stay really high until you get rid of the shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think that's right.
Quote:
Cosmic Threat <Ranged>: that means:
“Once per turn, for each <Ranged> card you
reveal, this Enemy gets -3 this turn.”

Quote:
If you try to fight Galactus a second time
in the same turn, he will return to his full
\\\ and you cannot use his Cosmic Threat
ability a second time that turn.

I think this is just a special rule for Galactus? But if applied generally, the enemy might return to full attack after rescuing the bystander. But then again, since you're not "fighting" the villain, I guess it still wouldn't.

Uru-Enchanted specifically says "When you try to fight...", so I think from a strict reading of the rules, it does not apply when rescuing a Human Shield. (Human Shield rule:
Quote:
During your turn, any
number of times, you can pay \\\ equal
to that Villain’s \\\ value to rescue one of its
Human Shields at random and put it in your
Victory Pile.
)

Interestingly, this also means that you can rescue Zero's human shields for free, since you're not fighting him.
Quote:
To fight Zero, you must also discard three cards that cost 0.

Similarly with Blob, Venom, Forearm and others...I believe you can rescue their shields while ignoring their fight restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you rescue Human Shields ignoring any Fight effects, one thing is not related to the other.

Nothing in the rules about Human Shields relate those with the fight effect of the villain:

"During your turn, any number of times, you can pay atack equal to that Villain’s atack value to rescue one of its Human Shields at random and put it in your Victory Pile. (The * on their atack is a reminder.)"

So what matters is just the value of the atack on the villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Huh, I thought that Cosmic Threat was part of the fight.

Then I guess it doesn't matter.

It does matter, it seems, with Size Changing:

* Likewise, some Villain cards say, "Size-Changing: Tech." This means "You can fight this Villain for 2 Attack less if you played a Tech card this turn."

So if a villain\mastermind has size-changing you still need to spend attack equal to the original value.

That means if you're villain group passes human shields to the mastermind (there are a couple of escape abilities like that in Xmen) - and fighting Fing Fang Foom... Ouch.

EDIT : Actually I think I confused human shields with dominate as far as the escape effects go.

Is there another way of getting human shields on a mastermind that doesn't have them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Threat is only part of the fight when dealing with Galactus,at last according to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls