Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Justice League vs Elder Sign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the Justice League cartoon episode 'The Terror Beyond' (which actually features monsters from the Mythos), I thought why not have some League heroes as investigators? So here are my attempts. I have not done any proper cards yet as I wasn't sure if this was a good or silly idea.
Please let me know what you think and join in with some superhero investigators of your own.

CLARK KENT – Superman
Sanity 4, Stamina 8
Starting Items: Common item x2
Man of Steel
Once per adventure, Clark may lose 2 stamina to: ignore Advance the Clock icons; ignore Entry effects; or defeat a monster at the adventure.

BRUCE WAYNE – Batman
Sanity 6, Stamina 4
Starting Items: Unique item, Ally, Spell
World’s Greatest Detective
When Bruce moves to an adventure or Other World, he gains a clue.

DIANA PRINCE – Wonder Woman
Sanity 4, Stamina 6
Starting Items: Unique item, Spell
Amazon Heart
All monster trophies that Diana claims have a value of 4. If the monster cannot be claimed, she regains all lost stamina instead.

J’ONN J’ONNZ – Martian Manhunter
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Skill x2
Telepathic Guidance
When J’onn is at the Entrance, he may assist another player. If the adventure is successful, the other player may allow J’onn to claim the adventure as a trophy.

WALLY WEST – Flash
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Common item, Clue x2
Speed Force
Once per turn, before rolling, Wally may put a discarded die back into his dice pool.

JOHN STEWART – Green Lantern
Sanity 6, Stamina 4
Starting Items: Spell x3
Power Ring
When John gains a spell, unique or common item after setup, he may draw one extra card from that deck. He keeps one then discards the rest.

SHAYERA HOL – Hawkgirl
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Unique item, Clue
Nth Metal
At the start of her turn, if Shayera does not have a unique item, she gains a unique item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Because of his weakness to yellow, I do not think the Green Lantern could ever roll the yellow die....and would have no chance against the King in Yellow.

Some fun ideas here.

Thanks for sharing,

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Without having playtested it's hard to say but they don't seem overpowered. It's actually a cool idea. And correct me if I am wrong but haven't they kind of done away with the rings weakness to yellow? I don't ever remember them using it or mentioning it in the awesomest ever "animated series".

As a kid it featured prominently in almost every issue. I think Richard is showing his age as am I.

Now you have to get to work on "Justice League Unlimited". Loved what that series did with The Question, Huntress, Green Arrow, Black Canary. My biggest gripe was the under use of "The Atom" one of my favorite heroes as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Because of his weakness to yellow, I do not think the Green Lantern could ever roll the yellow die....and would have no chance against the King in Yellow.

Some fun ideas here.

Thanks for sharing,

Richard

That's a really cool thematic drawback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool ideas. You should make up more of these.

For inspiration, check the full roster of Injustice 2- Netherealm Studios' recent fighter.

For reference, it currently contains the following villains and heroes :
Aquaman
Atom
Atrocitus
Bane
Batman
Black Canary
Black Adam
Blue Beetle
Braniac
Captain Cold
Catwoman
Cheetah
Cyborg
Deadshot
Darkseid
Doctor Fate
Enchantress
Firestorm
Flash
Gorilla Grod
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Harley Quinn
Hellboy
Joker
Poison Ivy
Robin
Red Hood
Scarecrow
Starfire
Supergirl
Superman
Swam[p Thing
Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles
Wonder Woman

and some MK characters-
Raiden
Sub Zero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more ideas. Hard to get the wording right on a few of them so I hope they make sense.

OLIVER QUEEN – Green Arrow
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Unique item, Clue x2
Sharpshooter
When Oliver defeats a monster, he may immediately choose a reward at the Entrance equal to or less than the monster’s trophy value for free. If the monster has no value, he gains a clue instead.

DINAH LANCE – Black Canary
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Common item x2
Ultrasonic Scream
Once per day, Dinah may discard an adventure (but not Other Worlds), along with any monsters on it, and replace it with a new one.

KENT NELSON – Doctor Fate
Sanity 7, Stamina 3
Starting Items: Spell x3
Mystic Shield
When Kent moves to an adventure, he may lose 1 sanity to put his token over a task icon. While at the adventure, that icon can be ignored.

ARTHUR CURRY – Aquaman
Sanity 4, Stamina 6
Starting Items: Unique item, Ally
King Tide
Arthur may overspend on trophies at the Entrance to gain 2 different rewards of a lower value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea; Always up for more variety and these seem quite fun. I wouldn't worry too much about balance; the existing Investigators aren't well balanced. If some of these turn out to be too easy, well, that's fine. Play them only if you don't want a hard time. Although Superman...

sylas1 wrote:

CLARK KENT – Superman
Sanity 4, Stamina 8

I'm curious about this one. Did you give him an additional 2 points intentionally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, this is fun.
How about

Scarecrow.-Professor Crane

Sanity:7
Stamina: 3

Starting posssessions: 1 Spell, 1 Unique item

1. Fearmonger- At any time, deflect any Terror effects an investigator may suffer to any other investigator, including yourself.

2. Master of Terror Additionally, any time you encounter a monster with a Terror task or requirement, you may immediately defeat it,and take it as a trophy, if possible.

When playing against Shub-Niggurath, this ability only accounts for monsters that have a printed terror task or requirement.

3. You may not have Allies. Discard them immediately, if you gain any.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l3mst0r wrote:
Interesting idea; Always up for more variety and these seem quite fun. I wouldn't worry too much about balance; the existing Investigators aren't well balanced. If some of these turn out to be too easy, well, that's fine. Play them only if you don't want a hard time. Although Superman...

sylas1 wrote:

CLARK KENT – Superman
Sanity 4, Stamina 8

I'm curious about this one. Did you give him an additional 2 points intentionally?

Yes. His powers cost him 2 stamina each time so a boost was needed. And cos he's Superman. I could change the cost to 1 stamina I suppose and put him on a 3/7 health instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
Oh, this is fun.
How about

Scarecrow.

Sanity:3
Stamina: 7

Starting posssessions: 1 Spell, 1 Unique item

1. At any time, deflect any Terror effects an investigator may suffer to any other investigator.

2. Additionally, any time you encounter a monster with a Terror task or requirement, you may immediately defeat it,and take it as a trophy, if possible.

When playing against Shub-Niggurath, this ability only accounts for monsters that have a printed terror task or requirement.

3. You may not have Allies. Discard them immediately, if you gain any.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think sanity is more to do with willpower and intellect rather than how sane the person is. It probably makes more sense to have professor Crane as 7/3 instead of 3/7. His power is interesting though especially number 2. Number 3 drawback doesn't seem necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about the sanity comment. I'll have it flipped.

Number 3 is for balancing. I'm just not sure how powerful these two abilities will be on their own.

Also I thought it might fit thematically, although I'm not well-versed in the lore.
I've played a number of Batman games. I don't remember if he had any allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the last batch until I think of some more.

VIC SAGE – Question
Sanity 7, Stamina 3
Starting Items: Clue x3
Paranoia (for Gates of Arkham and later expansions)
Before moving, Vic may look at any facedown adventures and the top card of the Mythos deck. He may advise but not reveal information to the other players.

HELENA BERTINELLI – Huntress
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Unique item, Common item
Quarry
Before rolling, Helena may draw a monster from the cup or another adventure to her adventure. She may discard that monster to the cup at any time on her turn.

NATHANIEL ADAM – Captain Atom
Sanity 4, Stamina 6
Starting Items: Spell x2
Sealing the Breach
When a doom token is added to the doom track, place 1 stamina on his player token. When there are 4 tokens, discard them to gain 1 Elder Sign or regain all lost health.

RED TORNADO
Sanity 5, Stamina 5
Starting Items: Unique item x2
Aerokinesis
When Red Tornado adds the red die, do not roll it – the result always wild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkseid

Sanity 4,Stamina 6.
Starting items: 2 Unique items

Dark Pact.When resolving any Midnight effects on Adventure cards in play, Darkseid heals 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity(once per day)

2.Fearless-Once per day, you may reverse one Terror effect on an Adventure card you resolve.(outside of Devoured)

For instance, terror effects that inflict sanity and stamina damage instead heal Darkseid for the same amount.

If a Terror effect would cause a monster to appear, instead you may choose a monster in play and claim it as a trophy.

If a Terror effect would cause you to become cursed, you instead become blessed.. Etc..,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sylas1 wrote:
l3mst0r wrote:

sylas1 wrote:

CLARK KENT – Superman
Sanity 4, Stamina 8

Yes. His powers cost him 2 stamina each time so a boost was needed. And cos he's Superman. I could change the cost to 1 stamina I suppose and put him on a 3/7 health instead.

It's worth considering though, Superman is vulnerable to magic, so would that affect either base stats or card effects on him, in a similar way to how one of the earlier posters posited GL's (possible) inability to use the yellow die?

Thank God the green die aren't made of Kryptonite otherwise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.