BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you have a well thought out rating system? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judson Miller
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey y'all! Reading through the comments about a game in order to the get the buzz, I remember coming across rating systems that people used wherein they'd rate different aspects of the game then average or total the results to get an overall rating. I looked around for about 10 minutes, in the comments for a few games and via google, but couldn't find a system though I am sure they are out there. If you have a rating system that you have given some thought to, I would love to hear it and try it out a bit. Thanks!

I guess inevitably someone will say 1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8<9<10 ... it's funny once I suppose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8<9<10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at that! It's funny twice!

Pete (lulz)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
judo artist wrote:
If you have a rating system that you have given some thought to, I would love to hear it and try it out a bit.

Does this mean you're actually going to re-rate all your games? :mindboggled:

BTW: 1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8<9<10 (Because we need to determine, once and for all, exactly how many times a joke can be funny.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I do not have a well thought out rating system.

I rate from experience and in relation to other games. A scale from 1-5 would be enough, but 1-10 is fine too.
My ratings might easily be off by 1 or 2. Unlikely to be off more than that. I am sure that a more systematic rating system would not change my ratings much (because I would change that system, if that was the case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My formula is:

X/6 for gameplay
Y/4 for components

If X+Y>7 then, the game is alright!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate each game individually on a scale of:

0 to 2π for Cromulence
0 to e for Opulence
0 or 1 for Significance

And then just total the values. (Technically, 2π+e+1 can add up to 10.0014671356, but that's never been a problem in practice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I simply use the BGG suggested guidelines.

I'm very skeptical of systems which attempt to independently rate various diverse unrelated aspects of a game (art, game length, rule complexity, strategic depth, etc etc) and then add them up or otherwise combine them in some rigid formula. It feels like trying to assess a person by adding up their age + height + weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
judo artist wrote:
If you have a rating system that you have given some thought to, I would love to hear it and try it out a bit.

Does this mean you're actually going to re-rate all your games? :mindboggled:

BTW: 1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8<9<10 (Because we need to determine, once and for all, exactly how many times a joke can be funny.)

I suggest you mention Busen Memo for a considerable shortcut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually use the following method:

1. I give a subjective rating of 1 to 10 according to how much I like the game (lately I have noticed that I am really enjoying games with strong stories and not pushing cubes around for various VPs).

2. Then I adjust it by +1 if I really admire the design of the game (elegance and originality). Or -1 if it is badly designed (bad rules (bad rulebook is tolerable as long as the actual rules are good), same as 100 other games with nothing new, fiddly, etc)

In my rating system components are usually worth nothing. For example: the first time I played Scythe, I looked at all the art work. By the second game of Scythe I didn't look at its art at all. Exceptions: Dixit and 7th continent whose art I continually look at.

Fairly simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I rate each game individually on a scale of:

0 to 2π for Cromulence
0 to e for Opulence
0 or 1 for Significance

And then just total the values. (Technically, 2π+e+1 can add up to 10.0014671356, but that's never been a problem in practice.)

With sloppy thinking like that we'dn't've arrived at quantum mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is based entirely on "Do I like it?" and "How much to I want to play it again?" so, very subjective. However, you may find it useful, so here it is:

BGG Ratings
10 - Outstanding - will always enjoy playing.
9 - Excellent - very much enjoy playing.
8 - Very good - enjoy playing and would suggest it.
7 - Good - usually willing to play.
6 - Ok - will play if in the mood.
5 - Mediocre - take it or leave it.
4 - Not so good - but could play again.
3 - Bad - likely won't play this again.
2 - Very bad - won't play ever again.
1 - Awful - defies game description.

I don't usually rate games until I have played them enough to set up and play without the rule book. And yes, all my ratings are going to be 5 and up because if I'm going to keep a game it's got to be at least that good. Bad games, I just get rid of asap.

The number system is BGG standard- ie, not mine, but I have it posted on my profile for easy reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
I don't usually rate games until I have played them enough to set up and play without the rule book.

Severe! I wouldn't be able to rate most of my wargames if I made that requirement before rating.

Quote:
And yes, all my ratings are going to be 5 and up because if I'm going to keep a game it's got to be at least that good. Bad games, I just get rid of asap.

If I don't like a game, I still usually have some idea whether I never want to play it again, or could be talked into it, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

My tastes have too much variation in very short periods.

A game, that I do not want to play right now, but that I know that I like very much and will want to play very much at some point can be rated very highly. It would not reflect my thinking about a given game very well if I would change my rating of that game every few days, depending on my desire to play right now. (There is a bit of hyperbole in here to make the point easier to grasp).
It is a lot easier for mediocre or bad games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
russ wrote:

My tastes have too much variation in very short periods.

A game, that I do not want to play right now, but that I know that I like very much and will want to play very much at some point can be rated very highly. It would not reflect my thinking about a given game very well if I would change my rating of that game every few days, depending on my desire to play right now. (There is a bit of hyperbole in here to make the point easier to grasp).
It is a lot easier for mediocre or bad games.

For clarification of thought, it's not if I do or don't want to play the game right now- I usually think 'how much would I like to play this on my next day off?' Since my time is at a serious premium, how I react to the thought of using one to three hours for a game is a good indication of how I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
wren08 wrote:
I don't usually rate games until I have played them enough to set up and play without the rule book.

Severe! I wouldn't be able to rate most of my wargames if I made that requirement before rating.

Wargames are entirely their own beast. They can't be judged by the same standards one would use for a euro or family game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
wren08 wrote:
russ wrote:
wren08 wrote:

Wargames are entirely their own beast. They can't be judged by the same standards one would use for a euro or family game!

True.

In rating wargames, I also look at how efficient the game is at recreating history with as few rules as possible. If a war game has a large rulebook then it needs to be very accurate historically. In a wargame it is normal to have to look up rules even after many many games, so a rulebook that is hard to use is a -1 in the ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. No, I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I've arbitrarily decided that my ratings should have an approximately Gaussian normal distribution. I figure most games I play are pretty average, so I want the really exceptional ones to stand out. The problem is that this requires occasional tinkering of ratings. I've started getting a bit top-heavy again, so I need to adjust a lot of things downwards.

I will say that, even aside from this arbitrary rule, it annoys me that somehow a "5" is considered a bad rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5 < 6 < 7 < 8 < 9

which is quite different from 1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5 < 6 < 7 < 8 < 9 < 10, so that's alright. I use 9 levels because it gives me a level 'in between'. At times I wonder if 7 levels wouldn't be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. It covers absolutely everything and is the only truly objective rating system you'll see on here. But it's far too complex to explain and may look to the illinformed that I just rate things on a whim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly follow the BGG guidelines but:

- I am more willing to honestly give out 4-6 for games that I am only lukewarm on. I think people are a little skittish about 4's and will give 6-7 using the some subjective scale that I would use to hand out a 4. 4 for me means "It's ok, but I would probably try to steer the group out of playing it lightly. Would probably still sit through it if the group was enthusiastic about its play."

- 9 is my default top ranking. The highest a game can debut is 9.

- 10 is reserved for 9 rated games that I have played 48 times or for 48 hours (whichever is more reasonable for the game in question) that I additionally think stand out as clearly "best of the best." I have a sort of unofficial moratorium on too many games getting to 10 that I originally capped at 1% of my total games rated, but I've found it's not really necessary as even with that not being used I have settled in at just a shade over 1% as it's hard for me to get individual games played to that extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of moving to a 2,4,6,8,10 scale. I don't think I personally need the granularity of a 10 pt scale.

2 - ugh, I don't want to play this
4 - I'm not crazy about this but I'll play if others want to
6 - perfectly decent game, nothing special, nothing terrible
8 - I enjoy this game and will happily play
10 - This is one of my favorites
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"well thought out"?
Nope.

I do like the BGG rating system:

10 Outstanding – will always enjoy playing
9 Excellent – very much enjoy playing
8 Very good – enjoy playing and would suggest it
7 Good – usually willing to play W 7.15 is my average
6 Okay – will play it if in the mood
5 Mediocre – take it or leave it
4 Not so good – but could play again
3 Bad – likely won’t play this again
2 Very bad – won’t play ever again
1 Awful – defies game description

It works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean, have seen a couple users using a standardized form to rate a game on various aspects, often as a weighted point system that reflects their own value (more points for theme rather than replayability for instance).

While my aspergian aspirations love the attempts at systematized, instant objectivity, I also realize such systems are built on foundations of subjective parameters, and completed with subjective evaluations.

Still, it does produce a consistent form, and the notes listing the criteria and evaluations, each often accompanied by a short comment, do form an instant review as a side benefit.

But no, no such system here.

At this time.

I'm doing well just to remember to rate anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.