Hide
5 Posts

Rise of the Daimyo (fan expansion for Age of War)» Forums » General

Subject: Neat powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Pierce
msg tools
I was shown Age of War recently by a friend at a gaming group. As it's a relatively simple concept - and update on something like Roll For It, I was impressed at how easy to teach/easy to play it was.

I've made myself a copy based with index cards and D6 just to see what happens if I tinker with some of the cards/items or expand them a bit, and I'm really keen to see the ones you've used here. I've not thought about the idea of catchup / tactics cards and I love how you have themed them.

I think I will adopt this rule; I'm never going to make anything out of my tinkering but will always credit you when I play the game with friends using your expansion. Thanks so much for putting this out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much! I really liked the original game, but wanted something where players can build up tools to mitigate their luck and go for the harder cards. The game seemed to drag on a bit longer than it should for a fairly simple game so the expansion is also intended to speed it up a little.

Feel free to tinker with new ideas and use anything here. This was just a fan expansion and I own nothing from the original game. You've inspired me to take another look at it and I'm toying with the idea of updating the graphic design some. If you come up with any ideas to add to the game I'd be happy to make cards for that. Or, you could even make a separate fan expansion if you prefer. Either way, it's so cool to hear that ideas are being expanded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Pierce
msg tools
I've changed the theme to something I can imagine a bit better, but just for fun, so what I copy and paste will probably speak to a taxi-company turf war rather than feudal Japan. (Manager = Daimyo, Mechanic = Archer, Dispatcher = Calvary, Driver = Warrior) I've not playtested any of the following yet, But mechanically, you may be interested?

I've emphasised the territory control aspect a bit, adding 7 additional territories (I've not playtested yet, so just waiting to see how they all work out) that provide some sort of special power or action:

CITY HALL: Requires 1 Manager, 1 Manager, 1 Dispatcher + 3 Drivers - every turn increase by 1 point while owned, resetting to 0 after 5 (handled by rotating card), starting point value = 1; can be stolen (1 Manager)

SCHOOL: Requires 3 Managers and 2 Mechanics - increase Driver total in rolls by 1; can be stolen (1 manager) (2 points)

HOSPITAL: Requires 1 Dispatcher and 11 Drivers - 1 free reroll ever turn; cannot be stolen (1 point)

POLICE STATION: Requires 3 Dispatches, 2 Mechanics and 1 Driver - Every set owned + 1 point; can be stolen (1 manager) (1 point)

AIRPORT (setup players x PLANE 1point tokens): Requires 1 Manager, 1 Mechanic, 2 Drivers OR 1 Manager, 2 Dispatchers, 2 Mechanics, 3 Drivers - 1 point token (unclaimed) | 3 points; cannot be stolen for once claimed (1 point tokens discarded if unclaimed when larger total claimed.

PORT (setup players minus 1 x SHIP 1point tokens, have equal number Driver tokens available): Requires: 1 Dispatchers, 3 Drivers | 1 Mechanic + 1 Manager, 1 Dispatcher + 1 Manager, 5 Drivers - 1 point token and add 1 Driver Token to card (increasing driver requirement for control) | 1 point + 1 point for each driver token

EMBASSY: Requires 1 Mechanic + 4 Drivers, 1 Dispatcher + 4 Drivers - Upon claiming can swap any non-locked territory for another player's non-locked territory (may result in locked sets); can be stolen (1 manager)

I've also considered (but haven't finalised) adding some random-drawn or draughted starting powers, which I'll post for you to have a perusal of when I have sorted that out

The dice-rolling/card claiming mechanic in this game and Roll For it and other type games is such a nice, easy mechanic that is so nice as a core for anything - immediately accessible, etc.

I will also see how your tactics cards go with this, as I love the catchup mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas! It sounds like that theme would work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Pierce
msg tools
I feel bad changing the theme but it's more that I don't know anything about Feudal Japan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.