Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Helmer Aslaksen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to pronounce? MENzel or menZEL? I thought that in German the stress would normally fall on the first syllable, but then I heard somebody say menZEL. Does anybody know? Thanks!

Helmer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The stress should be on the first sylable, it is not a strong stress, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmer Aslaksen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Names can be tricky. There is a Norwegian politician, Giske, who almost everybody in Norway pronounces incorrectly, even though the pronunciation rules are quite clear. And it impossible to know how to pronounce the author Nesbø's name properly unless you know how he pronounces it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So true... Having said that Menzel is pretty obvious (to a German native) in it pronunciation. I guess you have heard the menZEL pronunciation in some English video or podcast as English native speaker pronounce it that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmer Aslaksen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was not a native German speaker, and it sounded very strange to me, but since I know that names can sometimes be pronounced in surprising ways, I wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.