9 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Some ideas after a long game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yesterday I played a 5 player game with 2 "experienced" players (~10 and 6 games) and 3 new players. Everyone had a good time, but we also had some reservations.
Downtime was a big issue, and lack of research tokens another, although a smaller one.
Also all agreed that building a space station for 1 command felt weird and anticlimatic.

I don't know how to deal with the downtime, even though I would love to, but I was thinking about the other points my players made and I came with an idea. I hope to playtest this soon:

1. A station is built in a building phase and costs 5 production (no idea if this is a good cost) instead of 1 command.

2. A station has an open slot for a node. When you build on this slot, place the node on the station itself.

3. Each open slot you control (either on a planet or on a station) can be "repurposed". Meaning, you can build on an open slot even if it has a node already. You simply remove the old node and place a new one. That way you can somewhat shift the focus of your faction if you need to, but at a cost.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Niromaa
Finland
Akaa
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
3. Each open slot you control (either on a planet or on a station) can be "repurposed". Meaning, you can build on an open slot even if it has a node already. You simply remove the old node and place a new one. That way you can somewhat shift the focus of your faction if you need to, but at a cost.

Can't say much about your other points (the first 5 player game is due next week) but this part is already in the rules:

Page 8:
Last paragraph of "Build a Resource Node"

Quote:
Later, Resource Nodes built on Open Sites can be replaced by paying the full cost of the new Node.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Clavos wrote:
this part is already in the rules:

Page 8:
Last paragraph of "Build a Resource Node"

Quote:
Later, Resource Nodes built on Open Sites can be replaced by paying the full cost of the new Node.

S.
Lol, I read the rules like 3 times and never noticed that :O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Orelj
Serbia
Inđija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving the construction of a station to building phase would allow for rush strategies for those with high production income. First you get close to your opponent. On the next turn you win the bid for turn order, build your station and then use it as a building ground for your ships. And then rush. Maybe the one command cost is too little but because of the way the game is structured it seems to me that you should keep the command cost (and build the station in the command phase), and maybe increase the resource cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bloodymir wrote:
Moving the construction of a station to building phase would allow for rush strategies for those with high production income. First you get close to your opponent. On the next turn you win the bid for turn order, build your station and then use it as a building ground for your ships. And then rush. Maybe the one command cost is too little but because of the way the game is structured it seems to me that you should keep the command cost (and build the station in the command phase), and maybe increase the resource cost.

Or maybe (and I'm just spinning ideas here), you have to start building in the build phase but the station is completed only at the end of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of an extra node when you build a starbase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
Yesterday I played a 5 player game with 2 "experienced" players (~10 and 6 games) and 3 new players. Everyone had a good time, but we also had some reservations.
Downtime was a big issue, and lack of research tokens another, although a smaller one.
Also all agreed that building a space station for 1 command felt weird and anticlimatic.

I don't know how to deal with the downtime, even though I would love to, but I was thinking about the other points my players made and I came with an idea. I hope to playtest this soon:

1. A station is built in a building phase and costs 5 production (no idea if this is a good cost) instead of 1 command.

2. A station has an open slot for a node. When you build on this slot, place the node on the station itself.

Opinions?

1. seems like a lot since a ship costs 1 and a production node costs 2. I would say 3 production seems like the best or 1 production and 1 research (1 less than a research node).

2. The idea of expanding node capacity seems interesting. Thanks to the expansions it shows that the control nodes have a capacity of 6 (3 in-between arms and 3 on the arms). But having an open slot seems a little too powerful (bajor making 3 culture anyone). I would say have a station copies a slot in build priority with production being the first, research if there is a research slot and no production slots, culture only for risa, and a open slot really only on a planet with just open slots. That would make it possible for that ferengi asteroid system to have 5 production slots (1 less than the max of 6) but I can see it work.

Yeah proposal 3 just strike that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Try the optional rule fast ascendancy. (4 culture to buy ascendancy instead of 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Seratone wrote:
Try the optional rule fast ascendancy. (4 culture to buy ascendancy instead of 5).

I don't see how that would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.