Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 8 games so far. Since the Home Provinces for each clan are part of the game design, I've been hesitant to change this. For example, the powerful Lotus Clan (Purple), starts in the most isolated province of Nagato. On the other hand, the most mobile clan Dragonfly (Light Blue) starts in Hokkaido, a province with some of the most connections to others by sea lane, which is not balancing in the same way.

Since in Rising Sun Home Provinces mean nothing to their clan other than a starting position, and in fact you tend to move out of a province after you gain its War Province Token, there seems to be no need to keep them the same. And as all you'd have to do to vary the set up is choose your player clans for any game and then randomly draw a War Province Tile for each to generate a new set up, it would be easy to do.

This simple variant would not mess with the rules or require any changes.
But it would have a major impact on that first Tea Ceremony, and totally break up many patterns about how to best play a particular clan.
Combined with Changing the Season Card Displays--see my other thread on that--it would provide a very different environment for strategy.

I haven't seen anyone else propose this yet. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
I've played 8 games so far. Since the Home Provinces for each clan are part of the game design, I've been hesitant to change this. For example, the powerful Lotus Clan (Purple), starts in the most isolated province of Nagato. On the other hand, the most mobile clan Dragonfly (Light Blue) starts in Hokkaido, a province with some of the most connections to others by sea lane, which is not balancing in the same way.

Perhaps this has been obvious to everyone for a while, but I just noticed tonight that the three clans with the highest honor (Koi, Lotus, Sun) have the fewest neighboring provinces (2, 1, 2). Since I've noticed that, I cannot help but think that this is intentionally designed to get the first player(s) in Spring to play marshal mandates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tricil wrote:
chas59 wrote:

Perhaps this has been obvious to everyone for a while, but I just noticed tonight that the three clans with the highest honor (Koi, Lotus, Sun) have the fewest neighboring provinces (2, 1, 2). Since I've noticed that, I cannot help but think that this is intentionally designed to get the first player(s) in Spring to play marshal mandates.

I’ve noticed too that I think the lower honor clans have better harvest awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Sanmiguel
United States
LAWRENCEVILLE
Georgia
flag msg tools
Starting provinces are assigned for a reason. There's no reason to change the rules of a game that's well designed just to change it. If you want more variability use the Kami Unbound expansion.

And the Dragonfly clan is in Hokkaido to make their ability not too powerful. If they started in Nagato the isolation would help them and do nothing to hurt them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.