Popular Tags: Nippon [+] ROTW [+] [View All]
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not confident I understand the intended Railroad Operations setup for Railways of Nippon.

In the base rule set, under Set Up Railroad Operations Cards, it says:
Quote:
* Take the Railroad Operations deck and sort out all the of the "start" cards marked with a yellow "S" in the bottom left-hand corner.
* From these "start" cards, sort out the cards with the Service Bounty in the title, randomly select 4 of them, and return the rest to the box.
* Now place these 4 cards and all of the remaining "start" cards as a face up display next to the game board.
* Finally, shuffle the remainder of the Railroad Operations deck, draw cards equal to two times the number of players, and add them to the face up display

On pg 16 where the rules differences for Railways of Nippon are outlined, there is a lone sentence under Setup that says:
Quote:
Take the Railroad Operations deck and sort out the two (s) "start" cards (marked with a yellow "S" in the bottom left-hand corner), and place them face up next to the game board.

I have 5 start cards in my RoN copy, not 2, so is the intention that you just randomly select 2 start cards for the display setup and that's it for the Railroad Operations card setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lake
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a service bounty card with a Yellow S on it in any module that I own. That said, the Nippon deck comes with 2 Start cards in the main pack and 3 more in a separate (kickstarter bonus?) pack.

Question: As per Tony B, are we to use 2, 4 or all of the Start cards. It doesn't make sense to me to leave out either of the two Start cards that come in the main pack, as they are essentially in every RoW module.

There are no service bounty cards, but instead there are a number of local campaign cards with the hand of cards symbol on them meaning that you keep them to use later.

Question: when you claim the 3 points is it a free action taken when the owner or someone else empties the city, or does it require a separate action. We played it as a free action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing with four Starting cards (plus the two times the number of players that are drawn from the top of the deck at the start of the game).

As is indicated on it, the fifth card is a substitute for Railroad Era Begins. So, I have been playing it that you either play with Railroad Era Begins or its substitute -- not both.

My understanding is that cards with a triggering event do not require an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lake
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim. I should have looked closer at the Shinbashi Station card which clearly states that it replaces the Railroad Era Begins card, thus leaving 4 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimdauphinais wrote:
I have never seen a service bounty card with a Yellow S on it in any module that I own.

Yeah, looks like we've got Yamagata Service Bounty and Takayama Service Bounty for start cards in Nippon.

jimdauphinais wrote:
the fifth card is a substitute for Railroad Era Begins

Yes, good catch -- Sinbashi Station does say it replaces The Railroad Era Begins card.

I'm still not sure I understand if we should be using all 4 of the start cards or just 2 (based on the rules, as written) but I played this week end drew two start cards randomly then drew an additional number of cards equal to twice the player count. Maybe next time I'll try all 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Sorry to be late answering this.

I was the project manager for the Railways of the World Rules Compendium.

Here is what you need to know to answer this question for RoN and all of the other maps:

Railways of Nippon
There are 2 Service Bounty starting cards marked with an "S" in Railways of Nippon - Yamagata and Takayama.

Edit: If you have the KS Bonus Cards for RoN, then you use all 4 cards. (after the substitution for Railroad Era Begins)

For All Railways Maps:
In the new Rules Compendium, you can check the operations card index for the Service Bounty entrys on the bottom left of page 22 for a complete listing of Service Bounty cards for each map, all of which should be marked with the starting "S".

Here is the list of number of starting cards for all maps:
Service Bounty (cityname): Green Circle, Yellow S
EUS-6
MEX-4
EUR-5
WUS-6
RTT-8
ROBG-5
RONA-6
RON-2

Overall Rule
In the Rules Compendium on page 4 it states:

......• From these "start" cards, sort out the cards with Service Bounty in the title, randomly select 4 of them, and return the rest to the box.

Missing Information (for RoN and MEX) that should be added:

.....• If there are 4 or fewer total Service Bounty cards, include them all.

I hope that clarifies things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the new Rules Compendium, you can check the operations card index for the Service Bounty entrys on the bottom left of page 22 for a complete listing of Service Bounty cards for each map, all of which should be marked with the starting "S".

My recollection is that the new edition of RoNA does NOT have its Service Bounty cards marked with a "S" (there are quite a few Service Bounties in that deck). In fact, I do not believe any of the new operation decks except for RoN have Service Bounty cards marked with an "S". I won't be able to check for sure until this evening.

This said, it is pretty clear what you are effectively saying is that all Service Bounty Cards are now pulled from the deck at start and four are randomly drawn as starting cards, while the remaining Service Bounty Cards are discarded. In addition, if there are less than four Service Bounty cards, all of them are starting cards.

This is a pretty significant change from the past in that all Service Bounties that will be in play are now available at start. It also means there will never be more than four Service Bounty cards in play in any given playing of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To confirm, none of the card decks in any of the new editions have Service Bounty cards marked with an "S" except for RoN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

Railways of Nippon
There are 2 Service Bounty starting cards marked with an "S" in Railways of Nippon - Yamagata and Takayama.

Edit: If you have the KS Bonus Cards for RoN, then you use all 4 cards. (after the substitution for Railroad Era Begins)

So for RoN, are the 4 starting cards the only cards in the face-up display at the start of the game? Or do you also draw a number of cards equal to player count x2 in addition to the starting cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You still draw and setup for start 2 x players worth of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I always liked the random pop-up service bounties in the PC versions of Railroad Tycoon. And I still like the idea of randomly appearing service bounties. I also like the idea of picking 4 at random and removing the rest from the game. But I would just shuffle those 4 surviving bounties back into the Operations deck as a 'house' rule. Keeps the uncertainty alive for the whole game. I have played a number of games where multiple service bounties appear at the start, and it actually detracts from play. File under too much of a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.