Subject: Does leveling make that big of a difference? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Wohlman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the rules it recommends not playing beyond your party level because it will likely end in defeat. My wife and I played the dungeon crawl three different times and have lost our first three games. Some of these losses are associated with very bad draws for encounters.

My question is, because maybe I might missed it in the rules, how is leveling making you more prepared. There doesn’t appear to be an increase in base stats, and the stickers I paged through don’t seem impressive in that they don’t seem like they would be enough to overcome the hurdles we have already been facing.

Perhaps we are playing it wrong, but I don’t think so. Sad because I was hyped about the game at first but we are losing our interest already. I know we could modify it with house rules, I just don’t prefer doing that with a game. Just curious about others’ experiences.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 2 (10xp) is a fairly big jump in ability with either wealthy (+$1) or training (+1 card).

Training increases the first turn damage by one and cycles the deck half a turn earlier. Wealthy can enable a better first turn buy which gives a better second turn.

Successful adventures also yield magic kittens Magic Items which can increase the damage density of your deck.

Finally in 2p, higher level does give a free swap in card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic kittens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cajuntechie wrote:
Magic kittens?

Phone, why do you put in strange words for me.

Magic ITEMS.

Though sometimes Magic Kittens would be fun too.

I've corrected it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckmannin wrote:
There doesn’t appear to be an increase in base stats,

There are 10 XP stickers that increase your starting HP (Tough), gold (Wealthy), and hand size (Training).

At 40 XP you can use Slot #2, then:
Riches lets a dwarf increase their gold a second time.
Constitution gives Half-orcs another HP.
Humans and half-elves can increase their hand size a second time using Flexibility.

Initiate, Tavern Brawler, Adherent, and Cunning each cost 5 XP and allow you to change 2 gray dmg into 1 blue/black/red/green. Something that can be useful if you're playing 2 players and need help covering your secondary colors.

Merchant's Guild increases the Market Size by 1, which gives you more choices at the beginning of the game.

Quote:
and the stickers I paged through don’t seem impressive in that they don’t seem like they would be enough to overcome the hurdles we have already been facing.

They will as you become more experienced with the game.

Quote:
Perhaps we are playing it wrong, but I don’t think so. Sad because I was hyped about the game at first but we are losing our interest already.

I know it can seem rough, but this is a game that really rewards you if you can learn from losing. And unfortunately it usually takes more than just 3 games to start figuring things out. But once you do, it's the most rewarding board/card game I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
duckmannin wrote:
In the rules it recommends not playing beyond your party level because it will likely end in defeat. My wife and I played the dungeon crawl three different times and have lost our first three games. Some of these losses are associated with very bad draws for encounters.

My question is, because maybe I might missed it in the rules, how is leveling making you more prepared. There doesn’t appear to be an increase in base stats, and the stickers I paged through don’t seem impressive in that they don’t seem like they would be enough to overcome the hurdles we have already been facing.

Perhaps we are playing it wrong, but I don’t think so. Sad because I was hyped about the game at first but we are losing our interest already. I know we could modify it with house rules, I just don’t prefer doing that with a game. Just curious about others’ experiences.

Thanks!

I have a level 4 character now and the difference in power is quite significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
What happens when you hit level 5? Do you still gain experience? Do you stay at level 5 with 140 experience? I have to think so since some sticker combinations would seem to require more than 100 experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaplin717 wrote:
What happens when you hit level 5? Do you still gain experience? Do you stay at level 5 with 140 experience? I have to think so since some sticker combinations would seem to require more than 100 experience.

The core box supports up to level 5, and anything above 100 xp is listed as being level 5.

Some of us believe that levels 6, 7, 8 will later be introduced following the same progression as has already been established (60 xps for level 6, 70 xp for level 7, etc).

But who knows. Maybe we'll be level 5 forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely possible that beyond level 5 is a prestige class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.