Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/category.aspx?type=product&ic...

A lot of games are still cheaper elsewhere but there are a few great deals in there. Pandemic Legacy 1 and 2, Star Wars Rebellion, Mansions of Madness, Eldritch Horror etc.

It’s especially good if you can find 2 or more games you want for the extra 10% off. I grabbed Pandemic Legacy 2 and Junk Art for $97 + tax with free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [CAN] Bestbuy.ca - up to 30% off + 10% off more if you buy 2 or more
NMBR 9 for $27, Dixit for $30, and TTR Asia for $30 are some notable deals in there. Each are well below the average on Boardgameprices.com, plus ten percent extra off. Good spot on this deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Most games I have or any serious gamer would already have. Not that great of a deal except for maybe one of two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan McAnally
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you comparing these prices to American prices? Because there are a lot of good deals for Canada (most are now sold out). I picked up Mansions of Madness for $72 which is much cheaper than the $105 at 401 Games (the cheapest priced FLGS here in Canada). All the Fantasy Flight games/Asmodee games are similarly priced.

That's really cool to hear that you have a spectacular game collection, but there are also a lot of "serious" gamers who don't have every single game ever produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I find it more interesting just the fact that Best Buy Canada is selling board games at all. Maybe they are trying to ride a potential new wave in gaming ("Boss. People keep saying we will be one of the next big box stores to close, but boy do I have a great idea.....")

Pick-up desk clerk:
"Here is the new computer monitor and copy of UBoot you ordered for pick-up."

Customer:
"Thanks. Yes, we just ordered that UBoot and I found it very convenient to be able to pick-up at the same store a better monitor too to use with it for game night. This is a brilliant move by you guys."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Apparently asmodees MAP pricing doesn't apply to best buy or they just don't care!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I ordered Molkky and Kubb, both outdoor games, but the extra 10% off applied.

FYI: I used PayPal to pay and it automatically set up a "billing agreement" with Best Buy where I never had to log in to my PayPal account to authorize payments for future purchases (I was able to cancel it in my PayPal settings.) Just something to be aware of, in case you don't wish to sacrifice security for convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in Quebec. Bless be our protectionist laws. God knows what we'd do with so much English stuff. We need protection from ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Crete
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm so mad because of that law right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
Not in Quebec. Bless be our protectionist laws. God knows what we'd do with so much English stuff. We need protection from ourselves.

If it wasn't for those laws, we'd have even less media translated into French than what we have now. Companies only do it because we use the law as our lever, without that they'd tell us to suck it up and use everything in English (software, books, games, films...). And we would because we'd have no bargaining power.

To note, it isn't the government's fault that BestBuy doesn't want to stock French copies of games in their warehouse so that they can sell the English and French versions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
apertotes wrote:

If it wasn't for those laws, we'd have even less media translated into French than what we have now. Companies only do it because we use the law as our lever, without that they'd tell us to suck it up and use everything in English (software, books, games, films...). And we would because we'd have no bargaining power.

To note, it isn't the government's fault that BestBuy doesn't want to stock French copies of games in their warehouse so that they can sell the English and French versions here.

You mean there is no viable French market unless you artificially nerf English products?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
apertotes wrote:

If enough people wanted it, the problem would solve itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping to US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
chearns wrote:
apertotes wrote:

You mean there is no viable French market unless you artificially nerf English products?

Or perhaps government intervention in order to save people/corporations from making the kind of short sighted and narrow minded decisions encouraged by capitalism is normal. See Canadian cultural protectionism, bank bailouts, RRSPs, one buyer pharmaceuticals policies, green incentives... The list never ends.

That you feel particularly slighted by this particular one says more about you than the policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BestBuy lost a sale.
Quebec gamers lost a deal.
Quebec government lost sales tax revenue.

What was gained? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Simard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Somewhat decent sale.

Some of the better items were probably snapped up almost immediately by resale people such as Junk Art and Mansions of Madness 2nd ed, but I managed to get Ticket to Ride Asia (for definitely the lowest price I've seen it in stock at) and a couple of versions of Timelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
BestBuy lost a sale.

What was gained? shake

What was gained was translations we wouldn't have gained otherwise (not in this particular case, but overall; think globally, not locally). If best Buy wants our money, they'll stock both languages. If they don't want our money, someone else will stock both languages.

There was no sales tax lost either. If you don't buy those games, I'm sure you'll spend that money somewhere else. Perhaps on someone who does respect our cultural needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
There was no sales tax lost either. If you don't buy those games, I'm sure you'll spend that money somewhere else. Perhaps on someone who does respect our cultural needs.

I've always believed that language is a tool used to communicate with one another. It certainly doesn't define a people. Anyone can learn a language. Doesn't mean they've learned a culture . Similarly, anyone can learn about a culture without being able to speak a specific language. I've never felt that the two were at all dependent on each other. But I suppose that's a whole other argument for a different place.

I've long since stopped spending my gaming dollars in Montreal. Most of my gaming buddies and I purchase the bulk of our games from online stores across Canada. Even considering shipping costs, prices are cheaper abroad. Unfortunately, the government has lost the taxes for my boardgaming dollars. Just to be clear, my reasons are economic and not political.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
bbhalla wrote:
BestBuy lost a sale.

What was gained? shake

What was gained was translations we wouldn't have gained otherwise (not in this particular case, but overall; think globally, not locally). If best Buy wants our money, they'll stock both languages. If they don't want our money, someone else will stock both languages.

Oh, so you are not trolling. You really believe that it is better to have nothing than to have only the English version (of anything, books, movies, games, etc.) soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't find Mansions of Madness listed any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.