Popular Tags: [View All]
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I played my first game today (awesome!). My wife (Nazgul player) mentioned she had some difficulty in figuring out her strategy because of the Nazgul stands obscuring complete spaces on the map. She couldn't see if a space was a numbered one or a dot for instance.

I wonder if this is intentional / by design or not?
If not, maybe see through stands would have been better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason to obscure the map, you may have a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be easy enough to offset the figure a bit so you can tell that an occupied space is a location. If you do that consistently, then if the space is completely covered you can assume it's a dot. It may also be beneficial to use the Nazgul counters if more than one is in the same space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
It should be easy enough to offset the figure a bit so you can tell that an occupied space is a location.

Aahhhh, yes, easy enough indeed. Aesthetically it would look pretty displeasing though - I don't think my OCD could handle it

Also, the actual number itself would stay obscured (which is another part of the problem according to my SO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enough of the number should be able to be revealed to identify it based on the surrounding numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Enough of the number should be able to be revealed to identify it based on the surrounding numbers.

Alright, but do you think this is by design? Because you must agree that this causes an extra barrier for the Nazgul player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a First World problem that is easily "fixed" by taking 3 seconds and lifting the piece off the board, if you don't want to place them off-set.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I appreciate everyone who chimed in so far, I'm still looking for an answer to my original question: is this by design or not?

Of course you can find all sorts of ways to circumbvent the perceived 'problem'. And of course it's not a problem to pick up the game pieces. A partly obscured map does however complicate strategizing. It also lenghtens the game because of all the double checking that has to take place with lifting up the miniatures. Therefore I wonder: is this by design?

If it is, I'll gladly accept and support the choice. If it's not, I'm going to DIY some see-through pawns since I (and the wife ) prefer a better overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was not the intent of the designers to make it more difficult for the Nazgul player(s) by obscuring the location numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wiet wrote:
Alright, but do you think this is by design?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's unclear what you mean by 'by design'. I am pretty sure the components were all manufactured as the designers/publishers intended.

But usually that term refers to whether some rule or other is being interpreted as intended or if it's written in such a way that it does not convey the designer's intent. I think that's why nobody answered your question the way you intended it.

The design decisions for the colour and size of the bases were surely deliberate. They simply were not chosen with this consideration as a high priority; presumably they thought players could either remember the numbers (Nazgul don't need to know them most of the time) or would just move the pieces if they needed to.

They did mitigate it to some extent by providing the Nazgul tokens. So it's presumably something they they did give some consideration to - it just wasn't a priority and they preferred the aesthetics etc. of the models they went with over the practical consideration of seeing the location numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.