Joris Coenraets
Belgium
flag msg tools
Dear Boardgame-lovers,

Getting to hold cards in your hands, play with them and talk personally to your opponent or joke with your friends as you play is a strong experience.
This is probably the reason why we love card games so much and why card games in general may hold on to their physical quality, even as we move further and further into the digital age.

In 2016, my partner and I had the idea to create a family card game, based on world's most popular sport played by 250 million players in over 200 countries.
The result? GOAALLL!

According to our modest opinion (and marketing research), GOAALLL is the first football themed family card game which succeeds in implementing all aspects of modern football, offering each player the opportunity to:
- be the coach (making tactical decisions like offensive of defensive play, substitutions, ...),
- be the football star (making the action, dribbling/tackling your opponent, scoring the goal, ...),
- be the referee (sanctioning your fellow players with a yellow/red card, signalling for offside, …),
ALL IN ONE GAME!

The applied game mechanism is based on basic mathematics (additions, subtractions, multiplications) adding an educational aspect for young players. The gameplay is further enhanced by numerous Action and Referee cards you will get to play during the game, offering a whole lot of fun pulling off combos and seeing different cards interact together.

At SPIEL ESSEN 2017 we got inspired by two top speakers of the board game industry: Jeff Tidball (COO at Atlas Games) and Luke Crane (Head of Games at Kickstarter).
On the ride back home we decided to go for it: GOAALLL would be launched in 2018!

Before setting up the Kickstarter campaign launch date, we would first like to listen to all you boardgame-lovers out there so our final result will match your preferences as much as possible.

What type of artwork would you like to see with a football themed cardgame (realistic, arty, retro, comic, ...)?
Which football-related aspects would you like to see in the game?
Which rewards would you like to see in the Kickstarter campaign?

You have input, questions or comments? SHOOT!

The GOAALLL Team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Joris, welcome to Boardgamegeek. Hope to see you become part of the community.

Secondly, I find it a bit funny to address us as board game lovers... then pitch a card game. I know it's not a big deal, but it's funny to me. I do hate being addressed as a 'board game lover' like this though, because it sounds condescending and feels like you aren't a board game lover somehow. I know it's not your intention, and I'm sensitive, but it bugs me a little to be addressed that way. Don't worry, I'm sure it's just me.

Thirdly, that's awesome you're inspired to go for it. And I'm excited to see how this game works. I like football (soccer) and I used to love it, until my favorite football team kept breaking my heart and my favorite players all retired. I still play Football Manager 2016!

Fourthly, please don't just use this place as a venue to market/advertise your game. I hope you will contribute opinions and ideas to other users posts and share your journey. Besides, as you know, it's against the rules to post kickstarter links in this section of the site, so when you do go live, you'll have to inform us in another way.

Now onto my thoughts. Art style? I love the comic book style of Tintin or Blake et Mortimer. It covers several of your art categories (arty, retro, comic) right there. You see the style inspired the art style in games like Witness and The Lost Expedition.

I'm curious as to how you would incorporate ideas such as tournaments and leagues. Playing for the world cup would be awesome...

Stretch goals? Well, I can't think of many that's relevant to keeping it a simple card game. Linen finish, better cardstock, a creative scoreboard?

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Joris,

The art needs to communicate to players (and buyers) what kind of game they can expect. It seems like your game is fun and lighthearted rather than realistic, so your art needs to reflect this.

Can you give some more basic info about the game?

- How many players does it support? Is it played in teams?
- How long does it take to play?
- Do I understand correctly that the game doens't have a representation of the pitch, i.e., the game consists only of cards?

Which rewards would I like to see? Just the game, low shipping costs, delivered on time. Keep it simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Coenraets
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi Adrian,

First of all my apologies if you felt offended by being addressed as a board game lover, it was not my intention to take on a contemptuous attitude at all. "Game lover" had been a better choice, especially as Goaalll is a card game as you remarked properly.

I can assure you that we are not just here to promote our brainchild but truly want to start contributing to this amazing forum.
Obviously it would be great if the people on this forum could participate in our journey (which has been an amazing and interesting experience so far) so we can tweak Goaalll as much as possible to the desires of the community.

I grew up with belgian comics of Hergé, Peyo, ... so I can see why you love the style of Tintin. One of the art styles we had in mind was like the Michel Vaillant comics.

At this stage we haven't incorporated a possibility to play leagues or tournaments but it sounds like a great idea to organise a Goaalll-evening with friends which would result in a tournament with the final game at the end of the evening. This would be perfectly possible as a game of Goaalll takes about fifteen to twenty minutes if you play it one on one

Thanks for your input already ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Coenraets
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi Koen,

GOAALLL is indeed a lighthearted game with a very accessible entry level and quick game-play.

Some basic info on the game:

Playing Time: 15 - 20 min

The applied game mechanisms:
deck building, hand management and dice rolling.

A game of GOAALLL consists of:
GOAALLL-buttons, player/referee/event cards and a "goal-attempt dice", making it easy to take with you wherever you go.

A basic set of GOAALLL will contain the required cards to play it as a 2 player game. But if your friends bring their deck of GOAALLL cards they can join the game aswell, so actually there's no maximum amount of players.
The more players, the more fun as it becomes more risky to be sanctionned with a yellow or red card by one of your friends/opponents.

Gameplay:

At the start of the game, every team manager gets a team of 20 players to select the starting 11 and 4 substitutes.
The starting 11 playercards or placed on the table like the formation on a real soccer field (3-4-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, ...), the substitutes stay on the sideline. So the playercards create the pitch. We decided to go for this approach as the fact that you can modify your starting team results in a higher replay value, without overcomplicating the gameplay for younger players.

The team who begins the match starts with his first attack and chooses a player to lay in the middle of the table. Action cards can be added next to this player to strengthen the action.

The defending team will need to respond with at least the same degree in order to avoid the strikers' chance to score a goal. This amount can be reached by adding defender action cards to a defender player card. If you aren't able or you choose not to give up a certain player or action card for tactical reasons, you give the opponent the opportunity to throw the goal attempt dice and to score. It’s also possible to play an event or referee card.

As in real football, the outcome of the action will define who will keep ball possession.

The player with the most GOAALLL-buttons at the end wins the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.