12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: First moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Braumoeller
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello, i would like to ask what are good first moves.

We are a group of 4 friends (two couples)
Now i'm thinking what could be a solid first action.

Should i try to reach first UPGRADE (and by the way, which one, maybe moving faster plus what, constructing mechs/better upgrades?)

Or maybe it's better to construct a MECH (yes, he can move across water. But there are resources in your hinterland, no?)

Or even possible, lets ENLIST, to have it early means the other players help you out :-)

Thank you in advance
Tim, Turin (Italy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is entirely dependent on which faction and which player mat you have. There’s literally no uniformly best first choice of bottom action to aim for. It’s even dependent on what objectives you’ve drawn and whether you think you can fit them in to your strategy. It’s even dependent on which other factions are in play and how they might interact with you on the board and as you say with enlisting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Going early for the Enlist star is generally a good idea. If your enemies tend to play aggressively you could go for at least one mech from the first couple of moves. It helps support your character on the way to the factory and it helps secure a nice building-bonus-tile location.

Also if you find yourself totally lost first moves I would suggest you to look at what's your bottom action in the "Produce" column. Place couple (or as many as you need) workers there and just go for Produce and immediate bottom row action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
As James J. points out, it depends on your faction, player mat and overall situation at the beginning of the game.

I play exclusively solo and always use the Albion faction, so that affects my decisions, but in general I always try to reach the factory as soon as possible to put my flag there and get the factory card before the automa. That means that my first action is usually moving and then I alternate moving with production first, then upgrading (though this varies depending on the specific player mat).

Once I am able to upgrade my first choice for the top row is usually being able to move more units, while the first choice for the bottom row varies deppending on what I will be doing next (since Albion does not have easy access to wood, I rarely pick building, opting instead for upgrading, recruiting or mechs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Coman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility the designer suggested in his "Top 5 Strategies" video was to Trade and Produce as your first two moves, to get a BRA quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Lefebvre
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
Kicking ass since 2003
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
It is entirely dependent on which faction and which player mat you have. There’s literally no uniformly best first choice of bottom action to aim for. It’s even dependent on what objectives you’ve drawn and whether you think you can fit them in to your strategy. It’s even dependent on which other factions are in play and how they might interact with you on the board and as you say with enlisting.

Yep. I usually take a few moments to study to combination of resources available (faction) and try to maximize early bottom row actions, either by shooting towards the 2 resources purchases, or via an upgrade that will create one I can exploit effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, my first three actions are Move, Trade, Produce in an order that allows me to get a worker onto a village, produce a 3rd worker, and trade for the same resource my 2nd worker produced to allow for enough resources to take a bottom row action.

Since the OP was specifically asking about bottom-row actions, I'd suggest that Scythe is a game, to some extent, about specialization. Having 3 buildings and 3 mechs gives you 0 stars, while having 4 buildings and 0 mechs gives you 1 star - you don't want the game to end while you're in the former position. So I generally look at how my bottom-row actions align to my player mat and faction, and pick 2 or 3 to aim to complete over the course of the game (e.g. deploy 4 mechs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Braumoeller
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank you very much, now its more clear what to do 😀. Looking forward to our nexr playing-evening / night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordhong wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Yep. I usually take a few moments to study to combination of resources available (faction) and try to maximize early bottom row actions, either by shooting towards the 2 resources purchases, or via an upgrade that will create one I can exploit effectively.

This. My first "move" is to take a good look at the player mat I have to see where it's pointing me (i.e., what's the big bottom row payout action?), then compare against my faction and base territories. I'll go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Lima
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do know what the worst initial move is: pay to trade/bolster, and then chose not to get any benefit from the action.

As second worst I'd say take a move action and swap the workers around. You could also chose to produce and then produce nothing, but I like the previous option cause it feels like they're dancing around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter J Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GFLima wrote:
As second worst I'd say take a move action and swap the workers around. You could also chose to produce and then produce nothing, but I like the previous option cause it feels like they're dancing around...

What’s wrong with dancing? someone needs to make a dance-off objective expansion card! whistle lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Lima
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
GFLima wrote:

What’s wrong with dancing? someone needs to make a dance-off objective expansion card! whistle lol

DANCE AROUND THE MAYPOLE
Before your turn, have three workers on three mutually adjacent territories where one of them is a village and one contains at least one wood resource token, then perform a move action which swaps the placement of at all three workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.