Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged this on Kickstarter and sold my DoW version. I now regret that decision for the reasons I will set out. I like the game (which is why I backed it), and TMG generally does a great job with their "deluxified" versions, Orleans for example. There are certainly things to like about this version: the metal coins and player pawns for two, but here are the reasons I prefer the original:

1) The pawns for the emperor and senators are much nicer than meeples, IMO;
2) The icons on the back of the player mats and the show tiles are about the size of microfiche. The icons should have been larger, IMO;
3) Same with the Emperor's medals that have shrunk in size and are also harder to read;
4) While there is a small token provided to remind you of the values of the Emperor's Loge, Season Tickets and Podium, it was easier to see the values at a glance in the original;
5) The whole board and stadium pieces seem smaller. I don't know if they actually are since I no longer have my DoW version. The new version seems barely adequate size-wise. For a deluxe version I was hoping for something grander;
6) This is somewhat of a niggling point, but the yellow player mat looks more green than yellow;and
7) This is a personal preference but I prefer the stadium art on the original.

I am not usually critical of aesthetics when a game is good, as this one is. And great components, as much as we all like them, can't make a bad game good. My purpose in posting this is to let anyone who has the original know that before you part with the DoW version for the new one, you should consider keeping it and just print out the 2 tiles posted in the files section. I will say that the addition of these tiles seems to make the game much tighter. Overall, my impression is that at best, the Emperor's Edition is more of a "sidegrade" than an upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to upgrade Days of Wonder productions. I am glad I still have my DoW version and didn't bother with this version. Great game, but I saw no reason to change out for a version that had Dirk the Daring on the cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Murr wrote:
It's hard to upgrade Days of Wonder productions. I am glad I still have my DoW version and didn't bother with this version. Great game, but I saw no reason to change out for a version that had Dirk the Daring on the cover

Good point, I think most DOW editions I've seen could be described as "lovingly over-produced."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lesher
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the DoW version once, but don't own it. Loved the game and was happy to see and back the kickstarter TMG version to get my own copy. I can't comment too much on the comparison between versions since my DoW version experience is limited, but I will say that I think TMG did an excellent job with the deluxified version. The quality of the components is excellent. I have since printed player aids from the DoW version to use with my TMG version; this has resolved by biggest issue regarding icons and shows. I am very happy with my TMG version. That said, I don't think it is worth the investment for anyone who has the DoW version, because as others have stated, DoW also has a very good version for those lucky enough to own it, and the game play is the same. Bottom line: either version is a worthy addition to anyone's collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love my DoW copy and much prefer it to the TMG version.

I have noticed that a FLGS in my area can't seem to unload their copy of the TMG version. They've had repeated 30% and 40% off sales since Thanksgiving and their copy never sells ($79.99 MSRP sticker on box). They had a 50% off sale yesterday, but for some reason I'm going to guess it still hasn't sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened with Torres. it has been redesigned twice and still could not beat the quality and design of the original.

Love my DOW edition. Really sad to see them reproduce this classic with silly cartoons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to the hobby long after the DoW version was OOP and somewhat collectible, so I've only ever played the TMG version, and only once at that. So, when I say that I like the aesthetics of the TMG version just fine, take that with a grain of salt, I guess. I really like the TMG board.

And I'm not down on the DoW version - DoW stuff tends to show better in person than in photos, in my experience. And I've only seen DoW version in photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I payed a reasonable price for my DOW copy before the TMG kickstarter happened and I'm so glad I got the DOW copy then. The only thing I think is better in the TMG version are the metal coins. If you could buy those coins separately and add them to the DOW copy, that would be the ultimate version in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own the DOW version. Was excited when I heard TMG was doing a deluxe reprint. Disappointed when I saw the artwork/aesthetics during the KS campaign.
Glad I held onto my DOW version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Alberth Silva Barros
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Almost a year later and there's still people crying about this version while owning the old one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbernard wrote:
I pledged this on Kickstarter and sold my DoW version. I now regret that decision for the reasons I will set out. I like the game (which is why I backed it), and TMG generally does a great job with their "deluxified" versions, Orleans for example. There are certainly things to like about this version: the metal coins and player pawns for two, but here are the reasons I prefer the original:

1) The pawns for the emperor and senators are much nicer than meeples, IMO;
2) The icons on the back of the player mats and the show tiles are about the size of microfiche. The icons should have been larger, IMO;
3) Same with the Emperor's medals that have shrunk in size and are also harder to read;
4) While there is a small token provided to remind you of the values of the Emperor's Loge, Season Tickets and Podium, it was easier to see the values at a glance in the original;
5) The whole board and stadium pieces seem smaller. I don't know if they actually are since I no longer have my DoW version. The new version seems barely adequate size-wise. For a deluxe version I was hoping for something grander;
6) This is somewhat of a niggling point, but the yellow player mat looks more green than yellow;and
7) This is a personal preference but I prefer the stadium art on the original.

I am not usually critical of aesthetics when a game is good, as this one is. And great components, as much as we all like them, can't make a bad game good. My purpose in posting this is to let anyone who has the original know that before you part with the DoW version for the new one, you should consider keeping it and just print out the 2 tiles posted in the files section. I will say that the addition of these tiles seems to make the game much tighter. Overall, my impression is that at best, the Emperor's Edition is more of a "sidegrade" than an upgrade.

Hmm, I'd be interested in why you backed this if you already owned the original. There were plenty of pictures on the Kickstarter page with the components, so you must have known to some extent what you were getting into. I do understand the size/font of things may not have been clear.
But I guess my main question is, why get rid of a game with components you know you like to back an inferior version?
I backed this and was glad to get it, but that is only because the DoW version was impossible to obtain for a reasonable price. I knew looking at the components I was going to be getting a version I felt was inferior. This is not so much that the TMG version is bad, just that the DoW version was spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I'm astonished at how poor the new cartoon version is compared to the original. Except maybe the board, everything, the components and theme, is ruined by the horrible cartoon graphics😬
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the game, but can't bring myself to buy the TMG version, because... It UGLY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMG majorly failed with the graphic design on this one. And they have no excuse. During the kickstarter, one complaint kept coming up again and again: Those meeples look awful.

Their "solution" was to give players stickers to make them less cartoony. I put it in quotes because this was not actually a solution at all for several reasons:

- To cover the awful screen printing, the stickers have to go all the way to the edge which means applying them well is nearly impossible.
- The rules, the quick reference sheets, and even the board also have images of those awful meeples.
- For one of the stickers they gave you two of the same side. Meaning it doesn't work correctly anyway.

The iconography on the reference sheets is very small, and yet they include large cartoony portraits that have nothing to do with gameplay. While they are significantly better than the awful meeple design, they still don't match the artwork from the board and the rest of the components.

I've never played the original, and backed this because I always thought the original looked interesting and I loved the component design but wasn't able to get due to it being out of print. Now, I still haven't played it because looking at this version just disgusts me. Not just because it looks bad, but because TMG knew better and did it anyway. I feel cheated, and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You feel cheated that you bought the exact thing they were advertising? Like you said, the cartoony style was visible from day 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are looking at a kickstarter, you are not looking at the final product. TMG normally does an okay job with the art design of their games, and they clearly knew that many people interested in the game really disliked the cartoony meeple design. So at first I thought they would correct it. Especially since it would take extreme ineptitude to leave it that way.

The rest of the art design is still not very congruent, but I think I'd be okay with it if they at least fixed the meeples.

As the campaign went on, and I seriously considered dropping my pledge. But in the end I didn't because if they were serious about creating a solution with the stickers, maybe that'd be okay. And I thought, worse case I should at least be able to replace the meeples. I had no idea that they'd put that ugly meeple design all over on other parts of the game.

It's that last part that really gets me. It means that their talk about addressing peoples concerns was all lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Donahue
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I’ve seen, I don’t think the TMG version is THAT bad, but maaaaan I’m glad I have the DOW version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls