Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: Legion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiples weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Jeanjean
France
flag msg tools
Hey,

Still reading the RRG (slowly, my tailor is richer than my english), and there's something i cant understand:

If a unit can make only ONE attack action,
and if an attack action consists of firing ONE weapon for each mini involved,

what's the use of the three hardpoints or the TRTT, allowing it to have 4 weapons in total, but firing only one? (except the strategic appeal of using a "blast" or some other keyword effect) ?

Did I understand something wrongly?

(i put the TRTT example as its obviously extreme: i understand a trooper has to choose between his rifle or a grenade, and i think some may use one weapon in each hand, but a 2-man vehicle with heavily automated processes?)

Thanks for enlightening me. Carey.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On top of the strategic aspect you mentionned, some cards give the unit the Arsenal X keyword which allows you to use X different weapons.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Draycott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keywords stack as well so with the ATST it has arsenal 2, then you give it the General Weiss card which gives arsenal 2, so now it has Arsenal 4.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jeanjean
France
flag msg tools
Okay! I understand it now. Basically all units have Arsenal 1.

So the fully armed AT-ST will fire 3 of his 4 weapons (88 Twin Light blaster, DW-3 Concussion grenade Launcher, and MS-4 Twin Blaster) on a target at range 2, and the ATST Mortar Launcher on another target at range 4+. Poor trooper will eat 3 red, 3 white, 5 black die, impact 4 and blast. A bit overkill but its the Empire's might.

Thanks for the answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a unit has the Arsenal X keyword, giving it an Arsenal 2 card gives it just that, Arsenal 2, not Arsenal 3.

A card that would give Arsenal 1 to a unit would do nothing on its own exept stack on existing Arsenal keywords. Since the AT-ST has Arsenal 2 on the unit card, adding another Arsenal 2 card makes it Arsenal 4.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant you use the other weapons against additional defenders?

If im correct, the rules let you declare additional defenders at which time you can add any unused weapon to a seperate attack pool vs those additional defenders
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Watts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Angelsenior wrote:
Cant you use the other weapons against additional defenders?

If im correct, the rules let you declare additional defenders at which time you can add any unused weapon to a seperate attack pool vs those additional defenders


Each model in a unit contributes one of their weapon’s dice to the attack pool. Weapons with different names can be split between defenders, but all weapons that share a common name must attack the same defender.

If a unit has the Arsenal X keyword then they may contribute the dice from X of their weapons, either against a single or multiple defenders, again thought each weapon contributes against a defender (no splitting a single weapons dice between defenders).

Hope that helps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the fun of it:

Where in the rules does it say that Keyword effects (like Arsenal X) do actually stack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Sgt

Connecticut
msg tools
GrotTheCheat wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:
Cant you use the other weapons against additional defenders?

If im correct, the rules let you declare additional defenders at which time you can add any unused weapon to a seperate attack pool vs those additional defenders


Each model in a unit contributes one of their weapon’s dice to the attack pool. Weapons with different names can be split between defenders, but all weapons that share a common name must attack the same defender.

If a unit has the Arsenal X keyword then they may contribute the dice from X of their weapons, either against a single or multiple defenders, again thought each weapon contributes against a defender (no splitting a single weapons dice between defenders).

Hope that helps.
How does a grenade work, in addition to the trooper weapon or instead of? Thanks in advance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Cut_ wrote:
Just for the fun of it:

Where in the rules does it say that Keyword effects (like Arsenal X) do actually stack?


Page 15 in the Learn to Play guide, but only weapon keywords (except Suppressive)....however it is nowhere in the RRG where the actual rules are.

If you were to play by RAW (rules as written), an AT-ST with General Weiss would only be able to fire two different weapons because Arsenal is a Unit Keyword, not a Weapon Keyword.

The designers have said that this is a mistake. I'm hoping that they will be issue fixes to the RRG soon because there are quite a few discrepancies like this in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
MongolKahn wrote:
How does a grenade work, in addition to the trooper weapon or instead of? Thanks in advance


Instead of. Each trooper can use one of their weapons in an attack. So each mini can use one or the other, bit not both.

However, you do get a split-fire option. Any minis firing guns can attack target A,any mini using grenades can attack target B.

If you have a heavy weapon, you could split fire a third time against target C.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Sgt

Connecticut
msg tools
nungunz wrote:
MongolKahn wrote:
How does a grenade work, in addition to the trooper weapon or instead of? Thanks in advance


Instead of. Each trooper can use one of their weapons in an attack. So each mini can use one or the other, bit not both.

However, you do get a split-fire option. Any minis firing guns can attack target A,any mini using grenades can attack target B.

If you have a heavy weapon, you could split fire a third time against target C.
Thank you, that is how I thought they work. How about Impact grenades. If I split fire with troopers in 1 attack and then a heavy weapon in another which attack gets the Impact1?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MongolKahn wrote:
If I split fire with troopers in 1 attack and then a heavy weapon in another which attack gets the Impact1?


For each grenade used you get 1 level of impact.

If group 1 has 2 E-11s and 2 impact grenades and group 2 has a DLT-19 your dice would be:

Group 1: 2 white (from the E-11), 2 black (from the grenades), Impact 2 (from the grenades)
Group 2: 2 red, Impact 1 (both from the DLT-19)

But that's just an example. In practice, once within grenade range you would rarely use E-11s at all as the black die is better than the white die, so you'd use grenades only, making it

Group 1: 4 black, Impact 4

The only legitimate reason I can think of for using E-11 when a grenade is available is to split fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Sgt

Connecticut
msg tools
AndyNichols wrote:
MongolKahn wrote:
If I split fire with troopers in 1 attack and then a heavy weapon in another which attack gets the Impact1?


For each grenade used you get 1 level of impact.

If group 1 has 2 E-11s and 2 impact grenades and group 2 has a DLT-19 your dice would be:

Group 1: 2 white (from the E-11), 2 black (from the grenades), Impact 2 (from the grenades)
Group 2: 2 red, Impact 1 (both from the DLT-19)

But that's just an example. In practice, once within grenade range you would rarely use E-11s at all as the black die is better than the white die, so you'd use grenades only, making it

Group 1: 4 black, Impact 4

The only legitimate reason I can think of for using E-11 when a grenade is available is to split fire.
Thanks for the quick reply. So for 5 points I can give the unit an Impact4 (or 5) attack with Black dice instead of White. Pretty good deal. Your replies have been very helpful, thanks again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.