Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: When is a minon type discovered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
When is a new minon type considered to have been "discovered"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first time a crate is opened with the appropriate pink type card minion reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you first get instructed to take them out and you get one, they've been discovered. Why do you ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Jlerpy wrote:
When you first get instructed to take them out and you get one, they've been discovered. Why do you ask?

Because we're playing our game #2 live right now and we don't understand the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daitod wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

Because we're playing our game #2 live right now and we don't understand the rule.

I mean what's unclear about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Jlerpy wrote:

When the minon reference card is turned up on the table, is that "discovered"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daitod wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

When the minon reference card is turned up on the table, is that "discovered"?

Yes, but I can't figure out why you need to know.

If you mean can you now use the Minion glory ability to get one of them at the start of a game, then yes (although that seems very unlikely in game #2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Confirm that the player DOES NOT get a free minon when the minon reference card is revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does happen at the same time, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cannot confirm that.

The first time a crate is unlocked that references a specific new minion, the player who unlocked that crate immediately gets one of those minions.

In English, the relevant part of rule 16 reads: "Whenever a new type of minion is unlocked, the unlocking player gains one minion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daitod wrote:
Confirm that the player DOES NOT get a free minon when the minon reference card is revealed?

When a new minion type is unlocked, the player who unlocked that minion type receives one free minion of that type. This is referenced on the index card/table, and in rule 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you to all replies. We were confused by the use of both "unlocked" and "discovered" words in the rules regarding minions without explanations of what those verbs meant in-the-game.

Specifically; it was not clear if a minion becomes "unlocked" or "discovered" when a) its reference card appears on the table or b) when the building where the minion can be bought is constructed & stickered onto the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tod: I agree that it can be confusing when we use the different words for the same thing! I searched through my files to see where I used the word "discovered," but I couldn't find it--could you let me know where you saw that word?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Tod: I agree that it can be confusing when we use the different words for the same thing! I searched through my files to see where I used the word "discovered," but I couldn't find it--could you let me know where you saw that word?

FAQ 1.2. Page 4. "When a new minion is *discovered*, place its reference card in the general supply for all players to review."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's already been fixed. I'd recommend downloading the latest version of the FAQ (though the differences between it and 1.2 are minimal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. We were reading from a printed copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daitod wrote:
Thank you to all replies. We were confused by the use of both "unlocked" and "discovered" words in the rules regarding minions without explanations of what those verbs meant in-the-game.

Specifically; it was not clear if a minion becomes "unlocked" or "discovered" when a) its reference card appears on the table or b) when the building where the minion can be bought is constructed & stickered onto the map.

It's (a).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. We figured it out, although one player was cheated of their free minion for being the first to draw the reference card until we did.

"Unlocked" is a poor word choice, IMO. It's not defined in the rules as to what it means and common sense doesn't help to explain it. Even with the reference card drawn and on the table, the minion remains "locked" from play to other players until the matching building is constructed. So, it's not "unlocked" at all. The drawing player gets a special, single minion as a reward. But the other players are still "locked" from buying that minion until the drawing player constructs the building - which they may decide to never do.

"Un-crated" or "discovered" would be better word choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daitod wrote:

"Unlocked" is a poor word choice, IMO. It's not defined in the rules as to what it means and common sense doesn't help to explain it. Even with the reference card drawn and on the table, the minion remains "locked" from play to other players until the matching building is constructed. So, it's not "unlocked" at all. The drawing player gets a special, single minion as a reward. But the other players are still "locked" from buying that minion until the drawing player constructs the building - which they may decide to never do.

This is not entirely true. On top of what Jamey posted above, if a player fills in the minion row with glory on their chest, they'd be able to obtain one of the "Unlocked" minions at the beginning of the game, regardless of whether the corresponding building is built. The term "unlocked" refers to the minion being unlocked from a crate, just as if there was reference to an "unlocked" building card or "unlocked" persona.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Dai
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Regarding Jamey's post. Indeed; the explanation of what "unlocking" a crate means is clear. Not so "unlocking" a minion. However, now that we know that drawing a minion reference card == "unlocking" that minion, we can carry on to our next game #3.

Quote:
if a player fills in the minion row with glory on their chest, they'd be able to obtain one of the "Unlocked" minions at the beginning of the game

That is also interesting and not something I thought of. Another example of why the word "unlock" should be defined in the game.

I suspect that it was pulled from video game language, where "unlocking content" commonly means earning privilege to use or buy a new thing in the game. When it happens, the thing is immediately available. That's part of why the mechanic confused us. We didn't consider the minions to be "unlocked" because they couldn't yet be obtained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.