Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was inspired to get this back on the table, and had a chance to do so last night. My friend took Caesar and I took Pompey, being moved to avenge myself after suffering ignominious defeat last time I played as the adulescentelus carnifex.

Now I should say up front that I use Daniel Berger's variant rules to balance the game (probably the single biggest fix is not allowing the extra card draw for controlling Rome -- this is much too powerful).

My opponent, starting with Caesar's prodigious legions, quickly moved to increase his economic base by spreading his forces out in Gaul and Hispania. This gave him more income, but also thinned out his forces (one of the biggest decisions one makes in Caesar XL -- concentrate forces to prepare for a decisive military confrontation, or spread out to increase income?)

I started raising allies in the east, placing my satraps to gain gold, and making the occasional diplomacy roll to consolidate my economic holdings (the ally markers are useful as they allow you to extract taxes from a city even without having troops there -- soldiers being the game's most scarce resource as they are in finite supply due to the counter limit).

My opponent drew the rebellion event early on, which allowed him to place some allies in four different areas I was in control of -- this was a minor irritant that had a marginal effect on my map presence. The first five turns saw little combat, as we spent the time jockeying for position and avoiding direct conflict.

I did however start really raking in the cash, as Pompey will; my opponent made the mistake of taking a leisurely approach to his own preparations and allowing me to raise a powerful army, which I slyly positioned just south and east of the Italian peninsula, threatening to enclose it in a vice of military might. Too late, Caesar saw the threat and started consolidating his thinned out legions. Pompey, with the aid of Antonius, (a very powerful leader who can recruit a free legion each turn -- another reason to use the variant rules as they at least require you to pay for leaders which are otherwise played free!) Invaded Rome and ousted Caesar, who barely managed to retreat south. Next round, Caesar counterattacked, failing to recapture Rome and being slain in the ensuing battle. My opponent played the successor card, keeping his hopes alive but much worse for the wear.

From there it was a simple matter of hunting down Octavian and putting an end to his foolish notions of carrying on Caesar's rebellion. Pompey at this point was pulling in something like 40 gold a turn, so it was quick work.

Fun game, and good to see that Pompey can pull out the win. In the past we've seen either draws or Caesarian victories.

I dig this game and might have to pick up the expansion. It's a diamond in the rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. Glad to see my variants in use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting them! I printed them to keep in the game bag. Good stuff :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a diamond in the rough.

It really is.

If there was ever a game that really deserved a graphical upgrade, it's Caesar XL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.