Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I always heard that Germany was number one for publishing board games.

Nowadays I've seen games from a lot of European and other countries, such as France, Italy, Spain, Portugal Poland, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Greece, Russia, Hungary, Japan, Taiwan, USA, Canada, Mexico, Chile etc. Probably some more I left out.

Does anyone have any stats on games published for say the past 10 years by country? Just curious what the distribution would be like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I don't think it'll be quite as easy as one might think to figure out where a game comes from.

For starter, a game might be created by a german designer, published by a belgian studio and distributed by a french distributor. What country shall it be listed as? Then this boardgame gets re-published and re-themed by an american company that sells the right to produce in europe to another company... It doesn't help solve the puzzle.

On the other hand, I can tell you (with no facts and figure behind it but more than willing to discuss it) that the German and French market are the most proficient in terms of game published, designers and autors when it comes to Europe.

Several other countries come after, like Poland, Czech Republic, Finland and Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schouk wrote:
Hello,
I don't think it'll be quite as easy as one might think to figure out where a game comes from.

For starter, a game might be created by a german designer, published by a belgian studio and distributed by a french distributor. What country shall it be listed as? Then this boardgame gets re-published and re-themed by an american company that sells the right to produce in europe to another company... It doesn't help solve the puzzle.

On the other hand, I can tell you (with no facts and figure behind it but more than willing to discuss it) that the German and French market are the most proficient in terms of game published, designers and autors when it comes to Europe.

Several other countries come after, like Poland, Czech Republic, Finland and Italy.

Traditionally it has been classified by the original publisher's country, as the designer is only one element and developing, art etc play a major role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Schouk wrote:
Hello,

Traditionally it has been classified by the original publisher's country, as the designer is only one element and developing, art etc play a major role.

I understand your point and I have a question to follow:
-Captain Sonar has been developped by french designer, by a french publisher. It has been released in the US and France by Matagot and in several other countries by several other publisher/distributors, like Peagasus Spiele. For all intents and purposes, me may consider it as a "french game"
-Sonar on the other hand is a derivative from the previous game. However it has been published solely for the US market (as of now). Shall we also consider it a french game also?

Also, if a publisher get bought by another company, does it change the origin of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have datamining the BGG database as a subhobby, and I see a problem : The original publisher is not marked as such, every co-operating publisher is listed in random order with the original within the group. So your suggestion can not be done. Otherwise I would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
I have datamining the BGG database as a subhobby, and I see a problem : The original publisher is not marked as such, every co-operating publisher is listed in random order with the original within the group. So your suggestion can not be done. Otherwise I would do it.

Also more and more there are co-productions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.