Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking Barbarians on City States rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Imagine a barb token on a city state token..

Last game we had the situation where on the Moving barbs phase the die rolled such that a barb moved onto a city state hex.
The next player used his ability (Seoul?) to move the barb 1 hex away, out of the hex, removing any rule complications. But it left me wondering:

If a barb enters a city state, thematically it can mean
1. the city state is a "capital" of that state, meaning it would remain, but where would the barb go then? OTOH:
2. it is not a "player capital" and as such it would not remain but like any good non-capital city be destroyed, and the barb stays. OTOH
3. the game's intention is that city states and barbs are just teasers for players to get, and in that case barb would ignore city state and both would remain.
4. barb movement rule regards city state as border/sea and therefore jumps over them/back the hex they came from.

ad case 3:
Let's assume a player wants to conquer the city state, but finds a barb on it. Does he need two attacks first to defeat the barb, then to defeat the city state?
The defence value of the barb is the space he is on, in city state that is 8.
Not a problem game-wise, the attacking player would have enough attack or else he wouldn't even try, but thematically I'd say

the city-state is destroyed and all benefit cards returned to game pile.

What are your thoughts? Have I missed something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Angel
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Kos,

There are already several threads here in the forum about barbarian - city-state issue.
-they can share same space.
-you can attack the city-state, after you defeat the barb token on it first.
-the defence value of the barb on city-state is 1 (for grassland). Only city-states have 8 defence. If you conquer it your city defence value in that spot will be 2x 1(grassland).

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.